Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2015, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Honors Gold
Multi stop ticket

Hi all

I have a (maybe trivial) question. I want to buy a ticket:
BRU-ZRH-PEK // KIX-FRA-BRU.
However neither the website from Swiss (outbound) nor the website of Lufthansa (inbound) shows this as a default option:
Swiss' website doesnt find the lufthansa (inbound) flight, Lufthansa's doesnt find the Swiss (outbound) one.
I found a way to fix this, using Lufthansa's engine: add BRU-ZRH and ZRH-PEK as 2 different flights. However, this raises some questions:
-Baggage allowance for the BRU-ZRH flight, would it be included (as swiss does not include baggage by default on short haul flights)
-Baggage labeling automatically to PEK?
-In case of a missed connection (transfer time = 1h 15 min), what will happen?

Thank you all for your help!
Old May 25, 2015, 5:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Call LX and have them price and book it. You should not be required to pay the phone fee because it cannot be booked online. But, even if you do have to pay, it's a tine amount to get done what you need.

In answer to your specific questions:
1. When you say different "flights", I presume that you mean separate tickets. If so, you will have the BRU-ZRH allowance for that ticket, e.g., 0, and the ZRH-PEK allowance for that segment.
2. It should not be possible to interline your luggage across two carriers on separate tickets. But, a kind agent might be willing to do it. You will not know until check-in. You must plan on arriving as though a ZRH-bound passenger and then departing from ZRH as though your journey starts at ZRH.
3. If you do not board as required for your ZRH-PEK flight, your ticket, including all remaining segments, will be cancelled. There may or may not be some residual value which you may use to purchase a new ticket, but that new ticket will be at then prevailing prices.
4. You will not be "connecting" at ZRH, merely transfering. Thus, terms such as misconnect do not apply. 1:15 is far less time than I would even remotely consider between two tickets, especially because you will have checked luggage which you may be required to claim at ZRH and then take to a check-in counter to check onward to PEK.

As a general suggestion, traveling on multiple tickets has risks. I would always allow a solid block of time to account for all of the vagaries of travel.
Old May 25, 2015, 6:33 am
Original Poster

May be removed...
Sorry didn't saw this message actually posted...

Last edited by JzTz; May 26, 2015 at 12:31 am
Old May 25, 2015, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info!
So even though the whole outbound flight is operated by Swiss on the same multi-stop ticket (but as seperate legs), if booked the way I do their system sees it as 2 seperate flights with seperate conditions.
Well that's a disappointment, especially since booking websites as Ebookers and Expedia DO show this as a valid option. (Though I want to book via the airline directly).

If anyone else has some suggestions, feel free to tell them.
Old May 25, 2015, 2:21 pm

If OTAs show it as a possible booking then just call LX.
Old May 25, 2015, 3:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - Forget about terms such as "bookings", "trajectories" and "legs". They don't really exist. You have a ticket or tickets. That is all that matters.

Once again, simply call LX and ask for what you want.
Old May 25, 2015, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by malmostoso
If OTAs show it as a possible booking then just call LX.
or book w/ OTA. You can use google flights or hipmunk as well.
I rarely book complex tickets directly w/ an airline, it's such a hassle
Old Jul 4, 2015, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Sorry to bump this topic again but I've been trying to contact LH websupport and they suggested to make my booking in exactly the way I described above:
1 Multi stop ticket in which the BRU-ZRH and ZRH-PEK flight are entered seperately (but technically on the same ticket). In case of a missed connection I will be transfered free of charge to the next available flight?
So, I don't know what to think anymore. Can someone please add his/her expertise once again?
Sorry for keeping asking the same thing.. It's just I want to play sure.
I contacted Swiss but they can't arrange the flight back as it is with ANA and they do not codeshare. LH obligues me the phone booking charge as they say "the flight is bookable on our website" (using the above described method).
Old Jul 5, 2015, 10:57 pm

Programs: AA, AS, AC, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG
Yes, you can book it on the LH Website using the "Multi-City Booking" Tool.

As the guy from LH Websupport said, book the ticket as 3 Flights in the "multi-city booking".

Flight 1: BRU-ZRH
Flight 2: ZRH-PEK
Flight 3: KIX-FRA-BRU

When booking Flight #1 and Flight #2, make sure that both flights take place on the same day and that Flight #1 happens before Flight #2 .

So for your case choose from the below options:
Flight #1: LX771 Dep: 0700 Arr: 0820 OR LX787 Dep: 0955 Arr: 1110
Flight #2: LX196 Dep: 1320 Arr: 0515+1

You will be issued one ticket and Flight #1 and #2 will actually be treated as connecting flights, just as you would book BRU-ZRH-PEK in one go. So all your baggage allowances and baggage check-through would work seamlessly. It is a booking system problem which forces you to book Flight #1 and #2 separately, but since arrival for Flight #1 and departure of Flight #2 is within 24hrs, you will be treated as a transfer passenger on all grounds (including departure tax, so you don't need to pay departure tax for ZRH).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.