New European Economy Fares [HBO/light topics merged]

Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK*G (E+)
Three new fare options in Economy Class: Light, Classic and Flex

The new pricing concept for German and European routes is also more closely tailored to the individual needs of passengers. It will still be possible for customers to book a flight in Business Class, but in future, they will have more options. And in Economy Class, passengers will always be able to choose from three different fare options. This means that they will be able to decide for themselves which services they would like to use and pay for. The three new fare options Light, Classic and Flex will be introduced in Economy Class for flights within Europe from autumn 2015. Tickets will be available for purchase from the summer. The new Light fare will be the best-value option for passengers who are only travelling with hand baggage and who do not wish to check in any luggage, nor make use of any of the rebooking and refund options. The Classic fare allows passengers to take one piece of luggage free of charge, as well as giving them the opportunity to reserve their preferred seat as soon as they make their booking. If necessary, the Classic fare can be rebooked for a fee. The Flex fare offers the most attractive overall package with many services included, as well as the possibility to rebook at no charge and, if necessary, to obtain a refund for a fee. In addition, travelers who have booked the Flex fare will be able to take an earlier flight on the day of their booking in future, without being required to pay a surcharge for what may be a more expensive booking category. Finally, Business Class will still be available to business and leisure travelers on all flights and will include the familiar benefits, such as lounge access, a greater free baggage allowance, an unoccupied neighboring seat for more privacy and extra air miles. The three new Economy Class fares, which will always be available, will have their services and features displayed clearly and transparently for travel agencies and passengers, making it quicker and easier to compare fares at a glance. It will also be possible to combine the different fare options when booking outward and return flights. All Lufthansa passengers will still receive a free drink and snack service on board with all fare options. They will also be able to take hand luggage on board, select their seat when checking in less than 23 hours before departure and earn miles with Miles & More, as these will remain set features of a Lufthansa flight with no extra charge. As is already the case, ticket prices will depend on the route and the level of availability, and the differences between them will be even more pronounced as a result of the new fare options outlined. Details of the new fare options for Economy Class on German and European flights will be outlined when tickets go on sale in the summer.

http://www.lufthansagroup.com/en/pre...icle/3453.html
Old Mar 5, 2015, 3:44 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
What will this mean in terms of status benefits? Is lounge access and free luggage cut for FTL/SEN/HON/*G traveling on the lowest fare buckets?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 4:19 pm

Programs: LH MM**, HH Silver
Originally Posted by LH4116
What will this mean in terms of status benefits? Is lounge access and free luggage cut for FTL/SEN/HON/*G traveling on the lowest fare buckets?
and how will these "fare options" be mapped into fare buckets for mileage earning?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:49 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Sounds like not much is changing -- with the exception that you don't get a free piece of luggage with the lowest fares, which are already non-changeable and non-refundable. Great marketing move selling this change as something revolutionary.

HTB.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 1:01 am

If the precedent of SN is any indication, the Light fare will not allow for a free piece of checked luggage as *G.

Also if SN is the experimental lab of LH, soon we'll see a new LH-only FFP, or maybe a merge with 4Us.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by malmostoso
If the precedent of SN is any indication, the Light fare will not allow for a free piece of checked luggage as *G.

Also if SN is the experimental lab of LH, soon we'll see a new LH-only FFP, or maybe a merge with 4Us.
Or it could be they're taking the LX precedent with their Geneva light fares.

I hope for them that they'll take LX, and not SN.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 5:50 am

Programs: M&M FTL; BAEC Bronze
I assume that there will still be an option to purchase luggage allowance on the lowest fares?

As my company policy is always the lowest possible priced ticket, then I guess they will have to stump up for this!

Or is this just a badly worded way of saying that they are introducing hand baggage only fares (like BA)?

Lufthansa's unique selling points: "Low cost services at full service prices!"
Old Mar 6, 2015, 10:43 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Bronze
To me the only change that would restore LH's competitiveness vis-a-vis the likes of Easyjet and Ryanair is a move to a one-way fare system. Let's see if LH are doing just that - I do keep my fingers crossed.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Will LH then offer reasonable one-way fare on all European routes?
Old Mar 6, 2015, 1:17 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by htb
Sounds like not much is changing -- with the exception that you don't get a free piece of luggage with the lowest fares, which are already non-changeable and non-refundable. Great marketing move selling this change as something revolutionary.

HTB.
Well when the first sentence of the press release contains the word "enhance" you know they are up to something bad
Old Mar 6, 2015, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
No need to panic!
J fares will remain at the current (sky high) level!
Old Mar 8, 2015, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Has anyone uncovered whether the Economy Light fares are bookable only on swiss.com, or also via other OTAs like Amex?

I'm attempting to book an LX flight RAK>GVA. We will have one suitcase each so would like to book the Econ Flex fare - however, we would also like to use Amex MR for these flights by booking through Amex Travel.

I am unable to tell whether the fares Amex is offering are Econ Flex or Econ Light. Amex's conversion to USD and base fare breakdown also makes it unclear, and the baggage restrictions they quote are worded in such a way to indicate that the Econ Light fares exist so you MIGHT be subject to those baggage restrictions.

And while Amex and ITA show the complete fare basis (KRFVOWMA), I seem to be unable to find the same information on the swiss website to match.

Any thoughts?
Old Mar 8, 2015, 11:53 am

The Economy light fares are bookable through any channels (not like the Flugzug BSL-ZRH, which is only available when booking directly through Swiss and "offline" travel agencies, but not the more known "big" players like Ebookers, at least not available through their online booking mask) as much as I'm aware.

Are you holding any *G status? In that case, you could book without worries, as any *G gives you a free piece of baggage even on the light fares.

Otherwise, maybe give the travel agency a call might be easiest. I do fear that those fares are indeed Geneva light fares.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
The Economy light fares are bookable through any channels (not like the Flugzug BSL-ZRH, which is only available when booking directly through Swiss and "offline" travel agencies, but not the more known "big" players like Ebookers, at least not available through their online booking mask) as much as I'm aware.

Are you holding any *G status? In that case, you could book without worries, as any *G gives you a free piece of baggage even on the light fares.

Otherwise, maybe give the travel agency a call might be easiest. I do fear that those fares are indeed Geneva light fares.
Thank you - very helpful. No Star Alliance status for me.

I will call Amex and if I cannot get a definitive answer will just book direct with Swiss and save the points for something else. The fare is only ~130 EUR anyway.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:40 am

Programs: EK Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Any idea on fares? Will they be the same?
And it would also be an interesting one-way fare (like 4U)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.