Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Two hour connection in FRA in F - visit FCT or stick with First Class Lounge?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2015, 11:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold

Let's say one has a 2 hour connection in FRA, in F. Is it worth it to try to hit the FCT or will the experience be pretty much the same visiting First Class Lounge?

If one caught a strong tailwind and arrived 1/2 hour early, I think it would be a no brainer.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Cargojon; Mar 9, 2015 at 10:58 am
Old Mar 9, 2015, 1:35 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
I would say it depends, on a.o. where you are coming from and going to.

The FCT could include an extra round of passport controls, a security check albeit very civilized, but also a guaranteed car transfer to your plane. However, if you would arrive from a Schengen flight on an apron position, and connect to the U.S. for example, the FCL B will give you pretty much the same with less walking and no immigration.

That said, the FCT is different from most airline lounges and worth a detour if you don't expect to face this choice too often...
Old Mar 9, 2015, 4:16 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
The actual lounge experience is the same. There is nothing special about the FCT, it is just a lounge in a separate building. But once you're in, you don't care what the building housing it looks like, do you?

What does make a difference is where you are coming from and where you are going to. If your choice is one between having to clear transit security with potentially long lines, passport control with potentially long lines, and a walk through a long tunnel to reach your onward connection gate, then I'd say go to the FCT. If you arrive in A and continue from A or Z, don't bother.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 4:42 am

From the profile and tailwinds, I'd guess the OP is coming from the states. Will need to clear passport control anyway, and I don't think any FCL in FRA does that?

After regular passport control it's just a 10min walk or so - time permitting (and unless a better occasions is in sight) I'd do FCT for the bucket list experience.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:30 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Even if we assume the OP is coming from the US, it still makes difference depending on the next destination. If flying to Schengen the options are the FCL A (via passport control but usually no security) or the FCT. If flying to non-Schengen the FCT B (via the Skyline train and security) or the FCT.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:52 am
Original Poster

thanks for the replies - itinerary is PHL-YYZ-FRA-SOF. So technically coming inbound from Canada, onward flight to Bulgaria (non-Schengen.)
Old Mar 9, 2015, 8:07 am

Programs: EBD , FBG
If the OP considers to go for the FCL, which one do you recommend the OP use as far as lounge and not location ?

Is there any significant difference between the FCL in A and the one in B ?

Isn't the one in A terminal newer, since it opened during the Z launch ?
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:32 am

All the lounges have the same chairs , sofas, tables , flooring , lighting, candy , menu, booze, soft drinks , coffee, showers ........
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:36 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by Cargojon
thanks for the replies - itinerary is PHL-YYZ-FRA-SOF. So technically coming inbound from Canada, onward flight to Bulgaria (non-Schengen.)
The flight from YYZ arrived at a C or B gate in recent days. The SOF flight usually departs from a B gate (sometimes a B bus gate). The options are to go through passport control and walk to the FCT or go through B transfer security to go to the FCL B. They will only drive you from the FCL B to the SOF flight if it departs from a bus gate (B30-33, B50-62).
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Kleffen
If the OP considers to go for the FCL, which one do you recommend the OP use as far as lounge and not location ?

Is there any significant difference between the FCL in A and the one in B ?

Isn't the one in A terminal newer, since it opened during the Z launch ?
The main difference is the FCL A is in Schengen and the FCL B is non-Schengen.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
The flight from YYZ arrived at a C or B gate in recent days. The SOF flight usually departs from a B gate (sometimes a B bus gate). The options are to go through passport control and walk to the FCT or go through B transfer security to go to the FCL B. They will only drive you from the FCL B to the SOF flight if it departs from a bus gate (B30-33, B50-62).
thanks, looks like it's hit or miss whether the SOF flight departs from a bus gate; yesterday it did not (B47) today it did (B60.)
Old Mar 12, 2015, 12:28 pm

FCT! Check it off and guarantee a drive to the plane (even if the drive is the only thing you're going to get). Also, you're in F, no probz if you miss the flight to SOF and get rebooked (unless you're in a real hurry to get to SOF or fly F every week)
Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:41 pm

Make it dependent on the weather. When it is raining or really cold I would go to one of the FCLs (dependent if you depart to Schengen (A) or non-Schengen(B). Otherwise I would go to the FCT.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 7:18 am

Programs: LH SEN**, IHG Diamond Ambassador
If your incoming flight is a bit late and arrives in C, then you will not have a lot of time in the FCT, as from C it is probably a 20 min walk. In addition, as mentioned food etc is the same in all F lounges.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I think we'll play it by ear - depending on the weather, early/late incoming flight arrival, etc. Appreciate all the feedback and information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.