Wiki Posts
Search

LH interlining with QF?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2015, 4:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Airpoints, Qantas FF
LH interlining with QF?

Greetings, I'm considering a trip to Germany via HKG in Sep, and the cheapest and most direct deal involves buying two tickets, an QF ticket to HKG and LH from HKG to FRA. As the two airlines are from different alliances and different tickets, will I be able to interline (check through) my luggage flying from FRA backl to CHC via SYD? Th first flight FRA to HKG will be on LH then QF on HKG-SYD.

Otherwise I will have to clear customs and recheck with Qantas in HKG. Thanks.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:03 am

You didn't specify it clearly but I guess you will leave from CHC?

I think HKG is the most direct route if you take the NZ-CX codeshare operated by CX. Not sure whether that segment will earn airpoints. So something like CHC-AKL-HKG-FRA/MUC.

Another option, even more direct, would be CHC-SIN-FRA with two reasonable ~4h layovers in SIN. Definitely not the cheapest route, but it would be on *A all the way.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

LH interlining with QF?

This would probably be ideal because I would be booking on one PNR, unfortunately it will probably be costing $200 more than buying tickets from QF and LH separately.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:31 pm

IMHO 200$ are worth one stopover less and the risk of misconnecting on two separate tickets. But that's me
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:41 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by nzworldtraveller1
Greetings, I'm considering a trip to Germany via HKG in Sep, and the cheapest and most direct deal involves buying two tickets, an QF ticket to HKG and LH from HKG to FRA. As the two airlines are from different alliances and different tickets, will I be able to interline (check through) my luggage flying from FRA backl to CHC via SYD? Th first flight FRA to HKG will be on LH then QF on HKG-SYD.

If I read it correctly, you are asking about interlining on FRA-HKG-SYD and I do not know answer to that question, however, I am 100% sure that when you will be flying to Germany, that is SYD-HKG-FRA, QANTAS WILL NOT interline for you. Their policy is strictly enforced and they do interline only if it is OW or on the same ticket.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

LH interlining with QF?

Hi, yes this is what I understand, it will be fine in my case as I will be stopping over in HK for a family matter. Will be breaking the journey for 3 days in HKG so there is no need to have interlining.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by nzworldtraveller1

Alliances don't matter.

LH/QF have interline baggage agreements. On LH you will be able to thru check to your final destination. But with QF on the outbound, you will not as you have a separate ticket. They can quite pedantic about it too. You may of course 'try' but just be prepared.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 1:27 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Alliances don't matter.

LH/QF have interline baggage agreements. On LH you will be able to thru check to your final destination. But with QF on the outbound, you will not as you have a separate ticket. They can quite pedantic about it too. You may of course 'try' but just be prepared.
Guy Betsy, did you bother reading the full thread? The OP is not concerned about SYD-HKG-FRA since he is having stopover in HKG... All (s)he is concerned about is FRA-HKG-SYD...
BTW, to "try" on QF does not work... As you said, QF is "quite pedantic about it"...
Old Mar 9, 2015, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys. At the end I found Lufthansa has some deals that are cheaper, so I have ditched the idea of flying on QF plus LH. But sticking with NZ and LH one way or the other,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.