Wiki Posts
Search

Bad Experience on LH [denied boarding in MAA due to faulty ticket]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2015, 6:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Looks to me like a true LH Error Fare Classic:
EUR 2000 for an intercontinental C one-way ticket is pretty cheap, however, this cannot be easily detected as error fare.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 7:01 am

If LH had any common sense (hint: They don't have one) they would contact OP ASAP after checking what happened exactly here, and if it was their fault, refund both the original ticket + emergency bought one fully + a rather substantial voucher for future travel (4 digits in $) + a sincere apology..
Old Feb 25, 2015, 7:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by warakorn
EUR 2000 for an intercontinental C one-way ticket is pretty cheap, however, this cannot be easily detected as error fare.
Unfortunately, the OP did not post more information what actually happened when he checked in.

Did the agent call him out, did the station manager appear? Did a massive siren go off, when the agent touched the ticket resulting in LH personel moving in to confront the culprit?

I agree that the average handling agent working the lines at MAA (I assume they have oursourced personal there) might not detect an error fare, therefore I assume that LH contacted him before to cancel the ticket.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FD1971
... therefore I assume that LH contacted him before to cancel the ticket.
So OP is lying?
Old Feb 25, 2015, 7:07 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Often1
OP - Forget the confirmations. Do you have an e-ticket receipt (it will have both an e-ticket # and a PNR, not just a PNR)?
<snip>
If you had a valid e-ticket (forget about confirmations) and were denied boarding, you are likely due EC 261/2004 denied boarding compensation. Follow that up first.
No for obtaining 261 IDB compensation you need either a confirmed itinerary or an itinerary and a CC charge. Passengers are not responsible to check for ticket numbers. That is a US thingie only.

OP you should demand your money back AND full IDB compensation. Make your claim in written, give LH 3 weeks to compensate you. There is a large probability that they will ignore you or give a foul excuse. You might have to get the ticket value back first and then send the IDB compensation to a collection agency.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 7:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SFO777
So OP is lying?
What a strong word...

Let me put it this way:

People who bought error fares in the past were not necessarily known to check emails from airlines after receiving the original confirmation with a ticket number.

Consequently, LH started sending out registered letters.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 7:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by warakorn
Bingo! You have a case. Get a lawyer working in Germany!

That does not work, because eventually you flew. Its unfair, but your argument would not hold in court for the EUR 600.
EC 261/2004 denied boarding compensation most certainly does work. OP held a ticket on a community (EU) carrier between a place outside the EU and the EU. He was denied boarding. He was not acommodated in any other way, e.g., a situation where the passenger is denied boarding and then rerouted but still arrives roughly on schedule. Rather, OP's ticket was not honored and he was only transported when he purchased a new ticket.

This also does not appear to be a mistake fare issue. If that were the case, LH would have or would refund the cost of the mistake fare ticket which would at least act as a set off against the cost of the new ticket.

Here, OP was charged for the ticket which LH refused to honor and was then charged again for a new ticket.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
What a strong word...
Let me put it this way:
People who bought error fares in the past were not necessarily known to check emails from airlines after receiving the original confirmation with a ticket number.
Yes, I'm sure OP never turned on his computer and checked his emails after the initial confirmation.

Originally Posted by ramakk
I had a LH confirmation number
I received an email from LH confirming everything including seat numbers
I confirmed these online on their website and printed out an itinerary
My credit card was charged for the right amount mentioned by the call center rep.
Since I travel frequently internationally on business I usually do these to make sure that there would be no hitches.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 7:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by weero
You might have to get the ticket value back first and then send the IDB compensation to a collection agency.
Collection agency? That is so cute.

Are we playing in the minor leagues now? The OP constantly pays high four digit amounts for his tickets...

Hire a lawyer, go to court and recoup all the money plus expenses.

Yes, I'm sure OP never turned on his computer and checked his emails after the initial confirmation.
Well, judging from experience comparable stories tend to escalate more and more with every new post..., so let's wait and see how this one comes around.

Last edited by oliver2002; Feb 25, 2015 at 7:34 am Reason: please use multiquote
Old Feb 25, 2015, 7:28 am

[redacted]

OP booked a normal-priced one-way ticket, which got ticketed, charged, but somehow after that buried in the LH system. Upon checkin, the ticket was still there, but not valid for flying. OP had to buy a new ticket because of that on the spot.

OP, I would strongly suggest to contact LH, either through the LH lurker ( http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...nairlines.html ) or - especially if you've status, as otherwise it will take forever for them to answer - through your FTL/SEN/HON profile on LH.com

While technically LH - even if they f***** it up, as it appears very much to be the case here - wouldn't have to refund you more than the ticket you had to buy on the spot at the airport (plus probably EU261 comp for denied boarding, however that already could be a delicate matter) I would, in your position, make the amount of further travel with LH group very much dependable on LHs reaction on this. (ie, if they just do what they absolutely have to from a legal point of view, I would take my money elsewhere..)

Last edited by oliver2002; Feb 25, 2015 at 7:35 am Reason: no name calling please
Old Feb 25, 2015, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your comments. Unfortunately I do not have status on LH. I have generally flown BA (EC Gold if that matters) on this sector. I tried LH this time because by MIL was going to be back on the same flight. Would go back to BA in spite of their own issues.
I do agree that mistakes do happen. But the airlines' response to their own mistakes have deteriorated considerably. Their first assumption seems to be that customer is guilty unless proven otherwise

Looks to me like a true LH Error Fare Classic:

Customer books error fare, LH cancels reservation due to an obvious mistake (the infamous one-liner: Sicher ist ihnen aufgefallen ) so nothing in the system anymore resulting in the problems the OP described.

There is no doubt that LH should refund the amount you paid for the original ticket, everything on top of that (in case we are talking about an error fare) will depend on your status, persistence, quality of your lawyer etc.

In case your information is correct, you seem to spend a lot on LH, you very likely have at least FTL status, so I see a few thousand miles coming your way as well.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 8:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ramakk
Thanks for your comments. Unfortunately I do not have status on LH. I have generally flown BA (EC Gold if that matters) on this sector. I tried LH this time because by MIL was going to be back on the same flight. Would go back to BA in spite of their own issues.
I do agree that mistakes do happen. But the airlines' response to their own mistakes have deteriorated considerably. Their first assumption seems to be that customer is guilty unless proven otherwise
Please be so kind and enlighten us with more information:

Which booking class are we talking about?

Some people assumed it was an error fare. Is this likely given the low price?

What happened at check in? You wrote something about denied boarding, it looks to me like denied ticketing.

You agreed to pay for a new ticket, because the old one was gone? Do you think you have a point with your credit card company after agreeing to purchase a new ticket and signing or pinning for it?

Did you contact LH about refunding the original 2k ticket?

Did you get in contact with LH personnel in MAA, do they have a special ticket desk? What did they say about the original ticket, I mean you had a ticket, you had a print-out, they have to have some info who cancelled the ticket and why...
Old Feb 25, 2015, 8:32 am
Original Poster

I will take this comment in stride. Just to stick to the facts , there was NO email from LH after the initial confirmation which had the PNR and ticket numbers. I agree that I never did turn my computer on after my outbound segment started but I do read my emails on my smartphone

Old Feb 25, 2015, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Please be so kind and enlighten us with more information:

Which booking class are we talking about?
Original confirmation and ticket was business class P

Some people assumed it was an error fare. Is this likely given the low price?
There was no error. You may have seen my subsequent post that biz class between india and US with 4 weeks notice is generally around $5000 on alla irlines

What happened at check in? You wrote something about denied boarding, it looks to me like denied ticketing.
They said that I do not have a valid ticket

You agreed to pay for a new ticket, because the old one was gone?
See above. They said that I do not have a valid ticket inspite of LH receipt showing ticket number and seat numbers in biz class

Do you think you have a point with your credit card company after agreeing to purchase a new ticket and signing or pinning for it?
I want to get my second ticket refunded not the first. So I dont know what the CC company can do

Did you contact LH about refunding the original 2k ticket?
No. that would be put me in a $2000 hole.

Did you get in contact with LH personnel in MAA, do they have a special ticket desk? What did they say about the original ticket, I mean you had a ticket, you had a print-out, they have to have some info who cancelled the ticket and why...They said that they cannot find the ticket or confirmation on their system for the return portion
Old Feb 25, 2015, 8:48 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Silver
Ramakk, was this ticket one-way or round trip?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.