Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Swiss Air Strike? Trying to help stranded friend!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Swiss Air Strike? Trying to help stranded friend!

My friend was on LX 1843, ATH-ZRH tomorrow 11/27 and his flight was cancelled according to Swiss due to a Strike. His final destination is DC and the Zurich to DC flight is supposed to fly. I see the ATH-ZRH flights are cancelled tomorrow but see nothing anywhere about a strike. Has anyone herad of this?

Also, they are giving him a heck of a time trying to get rebooked. I found options for him on star allience partners (LH, UA) as early as Friday, with availability, but he said they told him that based on the terms of his ticket he is not allowed to use that space. They were in the same class of service but were full Y fares. The best they could do is something leaving on Saturday? Any advice, or has anyone heard of this happening? I have never heard of an airline not accomodating passengers on a partner airline if there are seats even during a strike!
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:45 am

Tomorrow is a general strike in Greece - no public transport or public services.

It seems to be a regular occurrence the past few years, so barely even reported in International Press.

http://greece.greekreporter.com/2014...eneral-strike/
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, FB Gold
I would recommend to change the title - this strike has nothing to do with Swiss! And it probably affects more than one airline!
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:03 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by denhaagflyer
I would recommend to change the title - this strike has nothing to do with Swiss!
And certainly nothing with Swissair -- they stopped flying back in 2002.

HTB.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
sorry, not their fault. Bad luck. The airport may have more flexibility in re-booking than the call center.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 6:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
According to EC261/2004 LX is required to rebook the passenger on the earliest alternative flight option. Fare buckets are of no importance.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by warakorn
According to EC261/2004 LX is required to rebook the passenger on the earliest alternative flight option. Fare buckets are of no importance.
However, with a full strike in place, that might mean a day or two later.. let's not forget who gets priority in rebookings in such case. Even a Aegean *S booked in K will get priority over a full fare Y (but otherwise status less) passenger.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rocketzo
My friend was on LX 1843, ATH-ZRH tomorrow 11/27 and his flight was cancelled according to Swiss due to a Strike. His final destination is DC and the Zurich to DC flight is supposed to fly. I see the ATH-ZRH flights are cancelled tomorrow but see nothing anywhere about a strike. Has anyone herad of this?

Also, they are giving him a heck of a time trying to get rebooked. I found options for him on star allience partners (LH, UA) as early as Friday, with availability, but he said they told him that based on the terms of his ticket he is not allowed to use that space. They were in the same class of service but were full Y fares. The best they could do is something leaving on Saturday? Any advice, or has anyone heard of this happening? I have never heard of an airline not accomodating passengers on a partner airline if there are seats even during a strike!
The strike is a Greece transportation general strike and has nothing to do with Swiss other than they are affected by it as with most other airlines.

Your friend may well have an easier trip just delaying their departure by one day to Saturday. if this is not possible the alternatives should be available as long as there are seats- the fare buckets are not relevant. By the way a travel agent in this situation can typically do the rebooking without needing to phone or contact the airline- directly through the GDS so if they have booked through an agent they are better of to contact them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.