Search

Biz IAD-FRA - 747-8 or UA777?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Biz IAD-FRA - 747-8 or UA777?

Apologies if this was already asked - I found many other comparisons, but not this one.

I'm flying IAD-FRA-BLR. The FRA-BLR legs are LH474-8's. For IAD-FRA and return, I have the option of another 747-8 or a codeshare UA777 on each leg. I think I can pretty much mix and match - all 4 combinations price the same in my corporate travel tool.

Departure times, layover lengths, and cost are pretty much a wash. I'm not fussy over service, meals, etc., as long as IFE is adequate. More important is seat comfort, especially to get some sleep. Lie flat (not just 180 degrees, but fully horizontal) is a must - I'd never slept on a plane until taking an EK380 last time over. But the EK340 and 777 on the short legs were hopeless.

Minor concern - I'm crediting to A3 to top off *A Gold - any issues with crediting either set of flights? I only need 1 way, any issues crediting A3 out and UA back?

TIA
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:03 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I am pretty sure the UA 777 is a 2-4-2 set up, but it is all lie flat and has good IFE. Some people like the backwards facing seats for sleeping comfort as you can lie in a more neutral position which offsets the slight tilt of the plane.

Personally, I would take the LH 748. People will say to take the UD but I would think the main deck which is 2-2-2 if you can grab one of the center ones you may rest easier in not having the issue of someone crawling over you or crawling over someone.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Personally, I would take the LH 748. People will say to take the UD but I would think the main deck which is 2-2-2 if you can grab one of the center ones you may rest easier in not having the issue of someone crawling over you or crawling over someone.
+1 on both counts. Main deck centre seats are very good for sleeping. This is my favorite C class LH product (748i centre seats lower deck).
Old Nov 20, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
I would take the LH B748 flight. UA 2-4-2 seating is rather narrow (though the experience of flying backward is quite nice). The LH center seats main deck on the B748i are very nice. That said, the UD is always a special experience and might be worth trying out if you havent yet had the opportunity (you might have 4 on this trip...)

Catering on LH is usually better, IFE is about equal. LH may also board their F and C pax from their lounge at IAD, which is way better than the crowded UA lounge where you can just about get a coffee and an apple.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 1:16 am

Programs: A3 Gold, AY Silver
Originally Posted by CPRich
Minor concern - I'm crediting to A3 to top off *A Gold - any issues with crediting either set of flights? I only need 1 way, any issues crediting A3 out and UA back?
Since you mention "topping off", I assume you don't have A3*G yet. If you're not already aware of the new program details, you can check out the discussion here.

If you still want to credit to A3, be aware that P on both LH and UA earns 0%. Z on UA is 200%, but only 150% on LH. The other business booking classes are all 200%.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 3:43 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Silver
I'd go for LH's 747-8 any day. Like you, I had the same dilemma for the same route (well, the reverse), I decided to try the UA product for FRA-IAD, but the 2-4-2 configuration just doesn't do it for me, and the I always find service better on LH. The sundaes were great though on UA

Having tried both UD and center seats on the main deck, I prefer UD. The storage on the window seats is very convenient.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 5:21 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
LH 787-8 vote from me. On the ex-US flights I always take a one of the center 2 main deck seats. On the ex-FRA flights, since I want to sleep, I usually take a window UD seat. IME because there are less windows and less open space, it tends to be a little more dark (which always helps, even with an eye mask).

One thing to be aware of, I usually really don't like the food ex-FRA so much so that I don't eat. I'm sure it's just a cultural thing, but if that makes any difference to you, something to consider.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 6:24 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
While I have no idea how good the 748 seats are - UA's 772 Biz seats are the worst Biz product in circulation - I'd take most Premium Coach seats over those super narrow stools.

So most definitely, go for the 747-800, don't risk suffering in UA's cans.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by weero
While I have no idea how good the 748 seats are - UA's 772 Biz seats are the worst Biz product in circulation - I'd take most Premium Coach seats over those super narrow stools.

So most definitely, go for the 747-800, don't risk suffering in UA's cans.
A dose of Friday hyperbole!
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:59 am

A dose of Friday hyperbole!
It's not Friday here. And what is there to defend in UA's 777 C product?

A seat that attracted reviews along "this is how coach would look if coach had flat seats" ...
Old Nov 21, 2014, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by weero
It's not Friday here. And what is there to defend in UA's 777 C product?

A seat that attracted reviews along "this is how coach would look if coach had flat seats" ...
Just defending against the "worst" C product on the market.
I would call the sloped J OZ & NH intra-Asia 6-7.5 hour flights a lot worse than the UA BF seat.

The seat is 20" wide on the sUA BF. Isn't the 748J 19.5"?
I will say that it does lacks any option of undisturbed direct aisle access which frankly sucks but thinking it is narrow and tight is all mental in the 2-4-2 top to tail lay out. But if you are on the UD on the 748 you still are going to crawl over someone or have someone crawl over you so it's a wash.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by clifford79
Since you mention "topping off", I assume you don't have A3*G yet. If you're not already aware of the new program details, you can check out the discussion here
Thanks for the head's up - not too surprised that it was too good to last. But these are still the cheapest flights, so I'll just need to figure how to best use the miles.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:08 am
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
The UA seat is much, much more comfortable then the LH seat - as it has actual cushioning compared the floppy air-mattress LH uses - also the catering is much better on UA - would definitely prefer UA and just take a seat on the 2 seat sides....
Old Nov 21, 2014, 6:02 pm

Just defending against the "worst" C product on the market.
I would call the sloped J OZ & NH intra-Asia 6-7.5 hour flights a lot worse than the UA BF seat.
I understand your sentiment but also that is a clear no for me. I find those seat a lot more comfy than the 777 seat.
The seat is 20" wide on the sUA BF.
At the top in some configs (747, 767) quite likely. But UA chose to peg the same number of stools into the 777 as into the 744. Leg separation is completely gone .. and if you have mildly wide shoulders you cannot lie flat anymore.On my last 3 777 rides, I had people stretching their legs into my 'chamber' and twice I had a pity-upgrade next to me who spilled into my seat. On the 744 you'd simply engage the divider but there is no space for any such thing on the 777.
...But if you are on the UD on the 748 you still are going to crawl over someone or have someone crawl over you so it's a wash.
I don't want to defend LH as I am sure they messed up somewhere. But getting out is a once-every-few-hours event. Being in that giant 4-abreast-toaster is continuous unwanted physical contact with your neighbours.

For me this is most noticeable when you fly EWR/IAH-NRT/HKG-SIN with CO's 777 first and then UA's ... it's like being downgraded to coach on the 2nd segment.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 6:23 pm

Isn't the #1 negative comment about the new LH J seat is that they only have a little center foot divider AND you angle into your seatmate's and play "footsie" with them...vs. being parallel or angled away?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.