Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amount of time needed in advance of flight to US out of Frankfurt

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Amount of time needed in advance of flight to US out of Frankfurt

I'm trying to schedule a return trip to the US tomorrow. For my ideal departure time, I would only be able to make it to the airport one hour in advance. Is this enough time to board a Lufthansa or United flight on a Wednesday afternoon at the Frankfurt airport? If not, what would be the minimum amount of time you would allot? I have Star Alliance Gold status (through United 1K), my ticket will be business class, and will not be checking any bags.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:55 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by acousticbiker
I'm trying to schedule a return trip to the US tomorrow. For my ideal departure time, I would only be able to make it to the airport one hour in advance. Is this enough time to board a Lufthansa or United flight on a Wednesday afternoon at the Frankfurt airport? If not, what would be the minimum amount of time you would allot? I have Star Alliance Gold status (through United 1K), my ticket will be business class, and will not be checking any bags.
I presume that you will be checking in online before-hand. If not, LH closes check-in 40 minutes before departure. That said, I do not think that 40 minutes is enough time. You have to go through standard security screening and then an additional screening reaching your flight. The slightest hiccup and you are toast.

They normally start boarding 40 minutes (or more) before departure on long-haul flights.

I would want 1.5 hours at a minimum to allow for delays getting to the airport. If you like to live dangerously, you might make it arriving an hour before. I would assume that for United, you would need even longer.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Minimum of 75 mins.
Anything less than that is cutting it close.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. Looks like the flight (on LH) is set to depart from Z58. Does that change anyone's estimates?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 8:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Don't risk it. There's a good chance you'll miss the flight.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by acousticbiker
Thanks for the input. Looks like the flight (on LH) is set to depart from Z58. Does that change anyone's estimates?
Long walk from check in. If you don't check luggage and check in on line 1 hour is doable if you don't encounter long lines at security, but too risky for my taste.

If you can upgrade to F and use the FCT 1 our is plenty.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:37 am

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
Long walk from check in. If you don't check luggage and check in on line 1 hour is doable if you don't encounter long lines at security, but too risky for my taste.

If you can upgrade to F and use the FCT 1 our is plenty.
I have missed a flight with 60 min between flights. Huge lines in security, passport control, then another security check by the time I was at the gate B7 the gate had closed.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:46 am
Original Poster

I ended up making it through in about 1/2 hour - almost in time to make an earlier flight (but Lufhansa wouldn't/couldn't make the last minute change on my United ticket)
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Do not do it.

Even when booked in LH F -- but I did not board via the lounges -- it has taken me over an hour during a hectic day just to get thru security. It was a total cluster for passengers, even those trying to get thru the expedited line for F/C pax.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:01 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
While everyone here has negative impressions on FRA I do not think it is actually that bad - it's indisputably a large airport, but there are many more that are a lot worse. I have done sixty minutes to the US on numerous occasions and have yet to miss a flight. I even did 65 minutes Airail to Air Canada with baggage to check with no issues - even made it to the gate before boarding started.

Having status helps of course - and being aware where you need to go in FRA is a must to minimize times to find your way around. But barring any irregularities or some days with exceptional traffic (e.g. first day of summer vacation) the 60 minutes can be done with time to spare...

Greetings - Dirk
Old Oct 23, 2014, 5:30 am

Programs: Mattiott Lifetime Titanium Elite, LH SEN, IB Emerald, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by djohannw
While everyone here has negative impressions on FRA I do not think it is actually that bad - it's indisputably a large airport, but there are many more that are a lot worse. I have done sixty minutes to the US on numerous occasions and have yet to miss a flight. I even did 65 minutes Airail to Air Canada with baggage to check with no issues - even made it to the gate before boarding started.

Having status helps of course - and being aware where you need to go in FRA is a must to minimize times to find your way around. But barring any irregularities or some days with exceptional traffic (e.g. first day of summer vacation) the 60 minutes can be done with time to spare...

Greetings - Dirk
Fully agree - esp. when you can use fast lanes. I do not see any major risk on that. And I've also been at the airport 1h before my transcontinental flight left. As said, boarding will start approx. 40 mins before departure (and does not close 39mins before departure ).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.