Community
Wiki Posts
Search

reimbursement from lufthansa?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:10 am
Original Poster

reimbursement from lufthansa?

our flight was cancelled due to the lufthansa pilot union strike. The airline rescheduled our flight for the following day so we will need to get a hotel for the extra overnight stay. the customer service rep indicated that we may be able to get a refund of expenses (hotel, meals etc) from the customer relations department later on. any tips on how effective this is or any limits on expenses?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
EC 261/2004 does not apply as this is a labor dispute. Thus, it will be a policy decision by LH as to whether it reimburses anything and, if so, how much and whether that is cash or a credit for future service. I would be careful not to rely on experiences covered by EC 261/2004 "duty of care".

If you have travel insurance, I would stick to those limits. If not, do not spend anything which you cannot afford to absorb as you may have to.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:36 am
Original Poster

thank you. will a US Airways credit card, from which this trip was booked, offers any kind of automatic travel insurance for such cases?

thanks!
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:19 pm

OP posted the same topic in travel buzz...
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
EC 261/2004 does not apply as this is a labor dispute. Thus, it will be a policy decision by LH as to whether it reimburses anything and, if so, how much and whether that is cash or a credit for future service. I would be careful not to rely on experiences covered by EC 261/2004 "duty of care".

If you have travel insurance, I would stick to those limits. If not, do not spend anything which you cannot afford to absorb as you may have to.
As per my understanding of EC 261/2004 this is not correct.

As per article 5.1.b. you are entitled to assistance as per article 9.1.b. (Hotel)
Due to the strike your not entitled for compensation as per article 7.1.

Last edited by Chaosmax; Oct 20, 2014 at 12:43 pm
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You will need to look at the terms & conditions of the specific card which you used. Be particularly careful at looking for exceptions for strikes, labor disputes and the like.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:41 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The rulings have been clear... even with strikes LH has a duty of care. So there shouldn't be any problem getting a hotel and a meal reimbursed.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RTW1
The rulings have been clear... even with strikes LH has a duty of care. So there shouldn't be any problem getting a hotel and a meal reimbursed.
Some say yes and some say no. What is the consensus on this topic? Does anybody have any experience with a similar situation?

Thank you all for your help!
Old Oct 20, 2014, 1:39 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

If you want certainty carry insurance, simply ask for reimbursement and most likely you will get it... just stick to reasonable costs.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 1:40 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
pr0lab, welcome to FT!! We are going to move your thread over to the Lufthansa Forum.

Happy travels.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:40 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by RTW1
If you want certainty carry insurance, simply ask for reimbursement and most likely you will get it... just stick to reasonable costs.
LH will reimburse you reasonable costs for lodging and meals.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: RIP
Flying a SK/LH oneway combo booked with AV/LM.

Departure in some 9h. SK refuse to touch it at CS and refer to LH. LH refuse to touch award (supervisor in CPT) and refers to AV. AV refers to operating carrier LH, and can ony offer rebooking for regular 150$ fee if seats are available.

Considering booking TK C, and claiming all expenses from LH at court or NEB.

Option is of course to go to airport, where SK will refer to FRA for rebooking, and spend 9h longer at least for a rebooking which should have been already.

3h on the phone to boot. Ridicoulous by LH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.