Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Being dumped by the LH-maschine. Should status or paid fare decide the upgrade?

Being dumped by the LH-maschine. Should status or paid fare decide the upgrade?

Old Oct 12, 2014, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by htb
Amazing. You are totally fine with being screwed and being defrauded(*) because you have a secretary?
I think it's more about OPM attitude then delegating rebooking tasks...

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
What I think LH group thinks they are doing with the status vs. paid fare is attempting to encourage a higher number of paid customers to actually pay higher fares. Will this happen? It is really difficult to imagine most rational customer groups saying "I will buy a B fare as I have a better chance of an operational upgrade" whereas it is quite rational to think of "I will choose to fly BA rather than LH as they treat their higher tier program customers better".
I think it discourages more people that know about this policy then encourages more higher fare purchases by people that have no idea/ or choice.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lack

I think it discourages more people that know about this policy then encourages more higher fare purchases by people that have no idea/ or choice.
Absolutely.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by htb
Great point.
+2

Originally Posted by htb
Most travelers -- and I think that must be more than 90% -- are not aware of booking classes, and even if they were, would have no idea how to influence them. Basically they only know economy, business and first.
Many do not even distinguish between Biz and First!
Old Oct 12, 2014, 10:58 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by volta
This is exactly my situation as well. Have my travel budget and any price increases are directly hitting it, but all discounts are going to corporate coffers. From my perspective, I see only the street price, not the discounted corporate price.
But is that something for LH to worry about? If it works out that way take it up internally....
Old Oct 12, 2014, 12:27 pm

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by LonLH
My wife is a classic case- she does not care what booking class means, her secretary books her tickets and only thing she knows is that if it is LH, it has to be C,D or J to upgrade with e-vouchers (the Z fares she gets are changeable/refundable, company policy is to go for cheapest flex ref fare). So there is a standing instruction to the secretary to book D or above. The difference between J and Z fare is a few hundred dollars as her company has a rock bottom negotiated fares with BA, LH and AF.
And she is not an infrequent traveller- 10+ years of LH and BA gold, AF plat for many years. Still knows only Biz/first/eco, nothing about fare rule/fare bucket etc.
+1. I hope very much that we are not married to the same woman...
Old Oct 12, 2014, 3:10 pm

Programs: Disgruntled HON**, Indifferent EK Gold, skeptical BA Silver
Originally Posted by RTW1
But is that something for LH to worry about? If it works out that way take it up internally....
Why should I? I am only looking at my P&L. With the preference on LH lifted I can look for the best street prize. All good for me.

If Holding wants to capture a rebate, they should go and negotiate a deal with other airlines.

In our (not uncommon) corporate scenario LH have three possibilities:

1) Incentive the buyer with perks (worked for me until recently)
2) Trust there is a strict procurement rule favoring LH (was killed because of lack of 1)
3) Have transparency on ticket prices and not operate with after the fact/year end rebates (might not happen with all companies, because these kickbacks are a nice way for a holdco to drain additional liquidity out of the opco and realize savings not being used by opco to fill budget gaps)
Old Oct 12, 2014, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by htb
I was told several times at check-in that seat blocking will not work with my UA*G card -- it was only a benefit for SENs. (This was for longhaul flights.)...
That is reason #1257 why I think that the growth and dominance of corporate representative here on FT constitutes a great disservice to this former community. Now they have a horn to spout their management's propaganda and untruths even here.

So they help those who keep booking codeshares and other dumb stuff to select a seat? That is a great surrogate for the former inside tips to the system's flaws .
Old Oct 12, 2014, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
I recommend reading this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...king-myth.html
Old Oct 12, 2014, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Rambuster
True ...

But that's for SENs and SEN-- .

Plus the blocking does of course stay elusive but you can play around with a *G login yourself.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by kamel123
Seems like my mention of a secretary has hit a nerve with some posters. Be assured yes, it’s VERY glorious.
While I cannot recall having mentioned your secretary in any way, your reply underlines my initial concern that you take the fraud angle very lightly as it seems not to affect you all that much.
This is exactly my point. Most people not paying for their own tickets are indeed ignorant, and that’s why these strategies work.
They work until the day the abovementioned happens and the big boss whose PA is off duty has to queue and pay to change a fully flex ticket only to sit in a 2/3rd empty cabin.

But yes OPMs are naturally a lot more tolerant with regard to price spikes and most of modern management and all of modern marketing is based on the formula that the customer is an ignorant fool who needs and deserved to be usurped.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 8:11 pm

Programs: BAEC, M&L, Bonvoy
Originally Posted by mamb0
Why should I? I am only looking at my P&L. With the preference on LH lifted I can look for the best street prize. All good for me.

If Holding wants to capture a rebate, they should go and negotiate a deal with other airlines.

In our (not uncommon) corporate scenario LH have three possibilities:

1) Incentive the buyer with perks (worked for me until recently)
2) Trust there is a strict procurement rule favoring LH (was killed because of lack of 1)
3) Have transparency on ticket prices and not operate with after the fact/year end rebates (might not happen with all companies, because these kickbacks are a nice way for a holdco to drain additional liquidity out of the opco and realize savings not being used by opco to fill budget gaps)
Couldn't agree more. In my case it is corporate vs business units.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 10:37 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Seems like my mention of a secretary has hit a nerve with some posters. Be assured yes, it’s VERY glorious.
I think you read something into my post that wasn't there. I simply wanted to point out the ludicrousness of saying that you don't mind paying up for nothing because your secretary does the work. This reasoning just didn't connect.

I could understand the argument that you don't realize that you are being screwed because your secretary is doing the rebooking, but that doesn't seem to be the case either.

HTB.

Last edited by htb; Oct 16, 2014 at 9:56 am Reason: you're --> your
Old Oct 16, 2014, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by htb
..I could understand the argument that you don't realize that you are being screwed because you're secretary is doing the rebooking, but that doesn't seem to be the case either..
Whichever angle you prefer, it always sound a lot nicer, more successful, and professional than simply stating "I could care less about my clients' expenses.." .
Old Oct 16, 2014, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by weero
Whichever angle you prefer, it always sound a lot nicer, more successful, and professional than simply stating "I could care less about my clients' expenses.." .
Not true - we don't bill expenses to clients, so they hit our P&L, and yes we care.

However, I don't get the angle of "being screwed". We are in the same situation as another poster upthread: the price difference between Z-D-C-J in our corporate contract is quite small (e.g., <500 EUR on a TATL return between Z-J). Would I rather not pay these <500 EUR in case of a short-term rebooking and an empty C cabin? Of course. But as long as the price of the ticket is still OK vs. alternatives, figuring in our corporate rebate, why am I screwed?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 1:11 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Would I rather not pay these <500 EUR in case of a short-term rebooking and an empty C cabin? Of course. But as long as the price of the ticket is still OK vs. alternatives, figuring in our corporate rebate, why am I screwed?
You are not screwed (because you can just pay up to get you out of this situation). You are being screwed.

I've explained above why I consider LH's behavior to be fraudulent. In essence they sell you a fully flexible ticket (C, D) with no intention to ever let you change it free of charge (at short to medium short notice), even if the cabin is completely empty. That is intentional and hidden. Instead of consistently zeroing out C, D, Z, they could simply admit that the ticket is only flexible until xxx days before departure. Even less people would buy such tickets, however. So LH decides to go the sneaky route.

HTB.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.