Denver to Frankfurt First & Business questions

Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: EBD , FBG
LOL

These last posts made me laugh so hard my colleagues are wondering what's going on....

^
Old Oct 19, 2014, 3:12 pm

So I checked in online for my business class flight to DEN-FRA LH447 on a 747-400. I was able select a seat on the upper deck (looks like first class) and completed check in without a fee. My boarding pass still says business but I do have seat 81H on the upper deck. Does this seem right? I'm MP 1K but no status on LH.

Last edited by acousticbiker; Oct 19, 2014 at 3:51 pm
Old Oct 19, 2014, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by acousticbiker
So I'm doing online check-in for my business class flight to DEN-FRA LH447 on as 747-400. Looks like I have the option of selecting a seat on the upper deck (looks like first class) without a fee (so far, I can confirm the seat selection but I haven't completed check in yet). Does this seem right? I'm MP 1K but no status on LH.
Looks like its a 2 class bird....no F
Old Oct 19, 2014, 3:58 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
So I checked in online for my business class flight to DEN-FRA LH447 on a 747-400. I was able select a seat on the upper deck (looks like first class) and completed check in without a fee. My boarding pass still says business but I do have seat 81H on the upper deck. Does this seem right? I'm MP 1K but no status on LH.
Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
Are you upgrading your reservation? There should be no reason for your biz class res to have a First class seat option. They may however offer an opportunity to pay for the upgrade. IIRC they were doing that on DEN-FRA
There have been reports of *G being able to select a seat on the upper deck free of charge. The service will be business so it's right for the BP to say business.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
There have been reports of *G being able to select a seat on the upper deck free of charge. The service will be business so it's right for the BP to say business.
I amended my post after checking tomrw's bird for DEN. shows as 2 class. Confirmed via EF and fake booking on LH.com...not a fan of the transition period....too many changes too often!
Old Oct 19, 2014, 4:08 pm

I amended my post after checking tomrw's bird for DEN. shows as 2 class. Confirmed via EF and fake booking on LH.com...not a fan of the transition period....too many changes too often!
Thanks - so will I be sitting in the upper deck but receiving business service? Will the seat be lie flat? And what is 'EF'?

Last edited by acousticbiker; Oct 19, 2014 at 4:16 pm
Old Oct 19, 2014, 4:21 pm

Thanks - so will I be sitting in the upper deck but receiving business service? Will the seat be lie flat? And what is 'EF'?
Oops, sorry. EF is www.ExpertFlyer.com. a good source for seat charts, occupancy, etc. It used to be great to search for award travel for UA etc, but the airlines stopped sharing some of that data.

No you won't have new Biz. here's a tool that you can check for future LH flights to see if new C is available
Old Oct 19, 2014, 4:26 pm

Oops, sorry. EF is www.ExpertFlyer.com. a good source for seat charts, occupancy, etc. It used to be great to search for award travel for UA etc, but the airlines stopped sharing some of that data.

No you won't have new Biz. here's a tool that you can check for future LH flights to see if new C is available
OK, so will it be identical seating but on the upper deck? How do I know whether I have aisle or window? Will I get two seats or one? Where would you guys sit - upper or lower?

Last edited by acousticbiker; Oct 19, 2014 at 4:37 pm
Old Oct 19, 2014, 4:42 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Thanks - so will I be sitting in the upper deck but receiving business service? Will the seat be lie flat?
Correct. They will be lie-flat seats.

OK, so will it be identical seating but on the upper deck? How do I know whether I have aisle or window? Main thing is I want aisle. Where would you guys sit - upper or lower?
No, you get "First Class" seats on the upper deck and Business seats on the lower deck.

Tomorrow's LH447 will be operated by D-ABTH which has old F seats on the upper deck. 81H is an aisle seat. Business seats on the lower deck are all old Business (not lie-flat) seats.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 8:57 pm

No, you get "First Class" seats on the upper deck and Business seats on the lower deck.

Tomorrow's LH447 will be operated by D-ABTH which has old F seats on the upper deck. 81H is an aisle seat. Business seats on the lower deck are all old Business (not lie-flat) seats.
Got it - thanks. So I will have a lie-flat seat with biz class service. Will there be someone next to me (since I assume I will not get two seats)? Also, is there any down side then for me to be on the upper deck vs lower deck? I ask because all the upper deck seats were available to choose, so just made me wonder if I was missing something.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 9:36 pm

Thx for clarifying - My brain was misfiring a bit.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 9:39 pm

Got it - thanks. So I will have a lie-flat seat with biz class service. Will there be someone next to me (since I assume I will not get two seats)? Also, is there any down side then for me to be on the upper deck vs lower deck? I ask because all the upper deck seats were available to choose, so just made me wonder if I was missing something.
Upper deck will be much much quieter and is the best place to sit on a 747 IMHO. Only issue is that on the 744 you might have to stow your larger carry on in a space next to the staircase. The window seats do have larger storage containers that can hold smaller carry ons (IIRC, its been over a year since I flew upstairs in a 744 thx to the 748s). Another potential detriment is that it may take a bit to get off the plane, so if you have tight connections it may be cost you a few extra minutes to deplane.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 10:01 pm

One more question on this. My boarding pass actually shows 81H as window. In the mobile seat selection screen, for rows 81 & 82 only A and H are possible selections (and both listed as window) while for rows 83 & 84, A, C, H & K are possible selections. Is it possible that they've converted rows 81 & 82 to the two seat first class (but not yet 83 & 84)?

Other strange thing is that 81H & 82H don't even show up on the full website as options (and no upper deck seats are available - i.e., all taken) where as every upper deck seat is available via mobile.

Last edited by acousticbiker; Oct 19, 2014 at 10:19 pm
Old Oct 19, 2014, 10:26 pm

One more question on this. My boarding pass actually shows 81H as window. In the seat selection screen, for rows 81 & 82 only A and H are possible selections (and both listed as window) while for rows 83 & 84, A, C, H & K are possible selections. Is it possible that they've converted rows 81 & 82 to the two seat first class (but not yet 83 & 84)?
There should be no conversion. The two seats next to each other are identical. The old F used to have 16 bookable F seats upstairs on the 744, when LH moved to an 8 seat F product fleet wide, they simply kept the 16 seats in place. Each F pax basically got 2 seats for the booking.

Seats 81 and 82 C & K are supposedly out of commission / not functioning so they are not offered on D-ABTH & not worth to repair at this point.

You won't have the seat next to you automatically blocked, other pax could sit there if upgraded or the pay to move upstairs.

Last edited by LufthansaFlyer; Oct 19, 2014 at 10:34 pm
Old Oct 21, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium

Seats 81 and 82 C & K are supposedly out of commission / not functioning so they are not offered on D-ABTH & not worth to repair at this point.
I flew in 82h on ABTH this past sunday. 82k worked fine, but the video screen color is off, so watching the VOD isn't pleasant.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.