Pilot strikes in Autumn / Fall 2014

Old Oct 31, 2014, 3:14 pm

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by danielonn
I will be flying out on Monday from SFO-ATH via SFO so lets hope there won't be any strikes. If so then all I can hope for is the LX flight and not the UA flight.
Maybe you should call LH and ask them to reschedule the strike for you?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by whiskey_sk
Being definitely a non-LX SEN I've had LX segments upgraded with evouchers succesfully this year twice (once U and once Q, if I'm not mistaken). Your bad LH karma got transferred to LX now?
That is not what I mean and I was to terse, so please let me clarify: if LH rebooked you onto LX and assigns you (in rare cases) B or Y class to your ticket, these will be faux buckets from which you cannot upgrade with instruments other than cash.

It happened twice to me. LX was willing to take cash for an insta-upgrade, there were Biz seats a-plenty on both occasions but no dice with miles or eVouchers.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 11:42 am

Union president has said Union has cancelled plans and threats of future strikes thanks to negotiations resuming....At least we should be safe for a few weeks? OK, Maybe a couple.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2014/11...thansa-pilots/

Last edited by LufthansaFlyer; Nov 2, 2014 at 11:55 am
Old Nov 2, 2014, 11:48 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0IL2U420141101

(Reuters) - German pilots' union Vereinigung Cockpit (VC) will abstain from industrial action during negotiations with airline Lufthansa over pay and early retirement benefits, Germany's Focus magazine reported.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 12:39 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
Well they could end the talks any time and strike the next day......so as of now I would say this extends the notice to 48-72 hours they first would have to announce that the talks ended before they can have a new strike.
But this does not mean that there will not be strikes for weeks........this would not be the first time talks are ended aprupt and strike action is resumed instantly!
Old Nov 4, 2014, 7:20 pm

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
In fact a stalemate during negotiations is what often pushes the unions to call for a strike - so while the announcement that they won't strike during talks is great for those traveling in the next 24-48 hours, it still means tense times for others till you get to that window before your flight. All it takes is management not budging on a point and unions feeling like they are getting nowhere for a flash strike to be called!
Old Nov 13, 2014, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any news ?
Old Nov 28, 2014, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
Here we go again

Latest news is that talks broke down and strikes are again being "threatened", "promised" what have you.
Flying after the middle of January from the US on TWO long haul flights back to back and I am not happy. Returning the same way, TWO long haul flights to get home-but won't mind staying in Germany on the way back:,it's the outbound flights I'm worried about
Old Nov 28, 2014, 7:27 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

If that's the case it's getting really tiresome... A dose of reality for both parties seems what is needed. I'm flying tomorrow and then I'm done with LH for quite a while, that's a small blessing.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 4:28 am

Damn... forgot about the strike looming... booked on LH r/t JNB second week of Dec. even though SAA had a good schedule too.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sweetsleep
Latest news is that talks broke down and strikes are again being "threatened", "promised" what have you.
Flying after the middle of January from the US on TWO long haul flights back to back and I am not happy. Returning the same way, TWO long haul flights to get home-but won't mind staying in Germany on the way back:,it's the outbound flights I'm worried about
Wonderful.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Wonderful.
I am happy that I made it home during the talks.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by airbus320
I am happy that I made it home during the talks.
This never ending labour dispute with the "on again off again" system of strikes should lead to at LH heading to some of their competitors and ask for sponsorship funds- perhaps it could even be logoed- "Today's strike is being brought to you with the support of ...".

It really is not acceptable to have the risk of the 9th strike in one year.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
When the pilot union has said they won't strike over Christmas it sounds like they plan to dig in for a long cold winter.
Hoping for a January thaw in the deep freeze
Old Nov 30, 2014, 4:11 am

Programs: LX HON***, FB Silver, BA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt GP, Hertz Gold, GHA Black
The news came through they will strike Monday and Tuesday. Starting 12 pm on Monday

http://www.spiegel.de/reise/deutschl...a-1005819.html

Last edited by HKG1111; Nov 30, 2014 at 4:20 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.