Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Beware of LOT - or a little story how to make sure customers don't come back..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beware of LOT - or a little story how to make sure customers don't come back..

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by weero
So which one is it in your split-personality world-view: did LOT think he was badly drunk or did they not?
LOT deemed him unfit to fly. What happened next doesn't prove anything to the contrary.

If they did, they did the right thing booting him and did the wrong thing selling him a ticket and letting him fly. If they did not, the IDBed him and hence owe full compensation.
I think the OP has made it clear that he doesn't seek IDB compensation.
I do agree they shouldn't have sold him the ticket. Seeing his signature on the slip should result in the transaction voided on the spot.

Just decide on one version you want to accuse the OP of.
And then you'll pick the other for the sake of the argument?

Well the Mafia narrative goes well with having an intoxicated person sign the slip.
Well, thats why credit card companys are working on a built in breathalyzer in the card terminal. And a pee cup.

Yes. With a time stamp from a unbiased party. Unlike a report which is filed by an employee who needs to shield their interest.
Time stamp of almost two hours after the plane incident. From the same party being accused of essentially extortion. And the OP is doing a public service, not shielding his interest.

So you say that their statements are worthless and they should not be heard? I am trying to deconvolve the message here.
Please don't deflect like that. Just saying your assumption on the crew testimony could be false on the merit.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:32 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
One of the big flaws in all of these arguments about whether the OP was intoxicated or not rest on a false assumption - that the legal limits for driving a car have any relevance when the OP was not driving a car. The concerns have to be based on behavior, not some limit which it cannot even be proved he had reached.

Given the fact that the OP ate a lot at the time, this is likely to have slowed the absorption of alcohol into his bloodstream and it is quite possible that his blood alcohol level was nowhere or just at the legal limit.

It really does fall on LOT to give some evidence (beyond his throwing up) that he was too impaired to fly.

In the end, the real question is: a) what behavior, other than throwing up did the OP demonstrate which suggested drunkenness, and if none, b) does a traveler who is denied boarding because he is ill, retain any right to transporation on his ticket?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by You want to go where?
One of the big flaws in all of these arguments about whether the OP was intoxicated or not rest on a false assumption - that the legal limits for driving a car have any relevance when the OP was not driving a car. The concerns have to be based on behavior, not some limit which it cannot even be proved he had reached.
I've said it a couple of times already, will say it again - it's just a point of reference, not an argument of it's own.

Given the fact that the OP ate a lot at the time, this is likely to have slowed the absorption of alcohol into his bloodstream and it is quite possible that his blood alcohol level was nowhere or just at the legal limit.
I think the website OP linked to already takes that into the equation.
Either way, that would mean his BLA would rise during the flight...

It really does fall on LOT to give some evidence (beyond his throwing up) that he was too impaired to fly.
And is still in his best interest to show evidence to the contrary. Easy done at any hospital or police station.

In the end, the real question is: a) what behavior, other than throwing up did the OP demonstrate which suggested drunkenness, and if none, b) does a traveler who is denied boarding because he is ill, retain any right to transporation on his ticket?
I already raised question about the whole general procedure, would love to hear some details from anyone in the know.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I realise we get only one side of these stories, but I wonder why some are so eager to construct an entirely house-of-cards argument for the other side.

After catching a whiff of the hysteria about drunkenness developed in this thread, I read the original posting quite carefully.

I'm not sure where in the tale other readers shifted "unfit to fly" into "drunk". I understand the former term is often a euphemism for enebriated, but the OP reported vomiting - an activity not always linked to drunkeness, but one generally unwelcomed in an aircraft. My understanding is that he was ejected from the flight because crew believed him to be unwell.

I'm sure the OP was shaken by his upchuck: from his report, he seemed resigned, if not totally happy, to be off-loaded and wait for a later flight. Again, from his report, he was assured he would be accommodated.

The first mention of alcohol-induced incapacitation came from the lady at the LOT desk. For whatever reason she accused the OP of being drunk. Then sold him a ticket.

The OP doesn't complain about being kicked-off the aircraft, but at having to buy a new ticket.

Obliging him to purchase a completely new ticket was heavy-handed, and I doubt that any reasonable ombudsman/mediator/citizens advocate would be much in sympathy with LOT's action. Of course, by this time, there may well be documents supporting the actions of the LOT employee ....
Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:10 am
Original Poster

IAN-UK, spot on ^

As said, there are always two sides of the medal, however in their answers to my requests LOT has not denied any part of the story, just stating that their point of view is that they can deny you to fly, and don't need to take care of you afterwards. So, I doubt their story goes much different than mine, when they don't question my side apparently.

I think everything here has been said for the moment (and to be honest, I truly did expect comments like the one from kamel123 to show up - after all, this is FT, and the customer is always wrong in some people's minds )

No worries, no heartbreak here - I'll go and see what the judges will say, the process obviously taking some time.

Going for the country to watch the F1 race now of which's national airline fate hopefully will be the one for LOT soon too
Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
No worries, no heartbreak here - I'll go and see what the judges will say, the process obviously taking some time.
Keep us posted on further developments!
Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:36 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Lack
LOT deemed him unfit to fly. What happened next doesn't prove anything to the contrary.
It absolutely does as elaborated on umpteen times.
..I do agree they shouldn't have sold him the ticket. Seeing his signature on the slip should result in the transaction voided on the spot.
Well, thats why credit card companys are working on a built in breathalyzer in the card terminal. And a pee cup.
Making up ad hoc tales to salvage the "terminally drunk" narrative?
And then you'll pick the other for the sake of the argument?
To continue the argument I would have to. But given in order for LOT to be at fault any pick will do, I will probably rest my case.
Time stamp of almost two hours after the plane incident. From the same party being accused of essentially extortion.
Hardly two hours and yes, first hand evidence of extortion.
Please don't deflect like that. Just saying your assumption on the crew testimony could be false on the merit.
Oh I see. You use your secret source of facts unbeknownst to us. You somehow know that the OP was drunk beyond repair (for a short while) and that he merely invented the statement the crew members made.
Originally Posted by kamel123
..and somehow believe it's ok and normal standards of decency don't apply...
It is 2014 ... there is no such thing as decency and well behaviour. Drinkers, smokers, people with minor disabilities and first and foremost parents all behave in a comparably intoxicated way.

And you too are assuming the OP was drunk despite his word to the contrary.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
After catching a whiff of the hysteria about drunkenness developed in this thread, I read the original posting quite carefully.
There's no hysteria. I'm sure we've all been there. The question is about handing the situation afterwards.

I'm not sure where in the tale other readers shifted "unfit to fly" into "drunk". I understand the former term is often a euphemism for enebriated, but the OP reported vomiting - an activity not always linked to drunkeness, but one generally unwelcomed in an aircraft. My understanding is that he was ejected from the flight because crew believed him to be unwell.
Walks like a duck, quacks like I duck... Polish President once claimed his drunk-like behavior was caused by a "Philippine Tropical Illness". Maybe the OP was to the Philippines recently and caught that virus?

I'm sure the OP was shaken by his upchuck: from his report, he seemed resigned, if not totally happy, to be off-loaded and wait for a later flight. Again, from his report, he was assured he would be accommodated.
In his report, the reassurance of accommodation was coming from the agent, post the events on the plane.

The first mention of alcohol-induced incapacitation came from the lady at the LOT desk. For whatever reason she accused the OP of being drunk. Then sold him a ticket.
Two different ladies accusing and selling.

The OP doesn't complain about being kicked-off the aircraft, but at having to buy a new ticket.
Seems like sometimes he complains about just being able to buy a new ticket.

Obliging him to purchase a completely new ticket was heavy-handed, and I doubt that any reasonable ombudsman/mediator/citizens advocate would be much in sympathy with LOT's action. Of course, by this time, there may well be documents supporting the actions of the LOT employee ....
Like I said, the incident probably didn't go unreported in the airline system. And them denying emailed claims might have been due to that report.

As said, there are always two sides of the medal, however in their answers to my requests LOT has not denied any part of the story, just stating that their point of view is that they can deny you to fly, and don't need to take care of you afterwards.
Oliver already they're well within their right according to the COC.

So, I doubt their story goes much different than mine, when they don't question my side apparently.
What did you expect them to question?

Making up ad hoc tales to salvage the "terminally drunk" narrative?
Just missing the cultural difference maybe? Do you get a field sobriety test with every purchase in ZRH/SIN? Do you get cut off after first drink at the bar?

To continue the argument I would have to. But given in order for LOT to be at fault any pick will do, I will probably rest my case.

Hardly two hours and yes, first hand evidence of extortion.
You can now rest your case officially. I agree LOT should have not sold a new ticket to a customer signing a credit card slip "SCAM". His BAL being irrelevant.

Oh I see. You use your secret source of facts unbeknownst to us. You somehow know that the OP was drunk beyond repair (for a short while) and that he merely invented the statement the crew members made.
You started. The OP didn't state the crew promised him being rebooked on a later flight.

It is 2014 ... there is no such thing as decency and well behaviour. Drinkers, smokers, people with minor disabilities and first and foremost parents all behave in a comparably intoxicated way.
It's also age of entitlement.

And you too are assuming the OP was drunk despite his word to the contrary.
The OP himself provided a link to a site that put him in that legally defined territory.
I imagine I didn't take much to draw that conclusion for anyone present on the scene and subject to speaking with an individual after five beers and recent barf - but I wasn't there and I'm only operating based on the facts and tools provided by the OP.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 6:17 am

The OP himself provided a link to a site that put him in that legally defined territory.
I imagine I didn't take much to draw that conclusion for anyone present on the scene and subject to speaking with an individual after five beers and recent barf - but I wasn't there and I'm only operating based on the facts and tools provided by the OP.
No. The OP provided a link to a site which suggested that he might have been too impaired to operate a vehicle legally. Don't overstate what the OP did.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
There's no hysteria. I'm sure we've all been there. The question is about handing the situation afterwards.
Thirteen quotes, to three independent posters, each quote carrying a tailored reply? To me, that smacks of hysteria. Or desperation.

Why are you so worked up about this ?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 6:51 am
Original Poster

No. The OP provided a link to a site which suggested that he might have been too impaired to operate a vehicle legally. Don't overstate what the OP did.
I didn't provide that link in the first place..

But anyway, off to Palatschinken now
Old Jul 25, 2014, 7:05 am

Right now he claims he didn't even do that...

Thirteen quotes, to three independent posters, each quote carrying a tailored reply? To me, that smacks of hysteria. Or desperation.

Why are you so worked up about this ?
I think it's just good manners. But if you were raised otherwise, feel free o call me hysterical or desperate.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23248532-post20.html
Old Jul 25, 2014, 7:25 am

But anyway, off to Palatschinken now
Don't eat too many!
Old Jul 25, 2014, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Right now he claims he didn't even do that...

I think it's just good manners. But if you were raised otherwise, feel free o call me hysterical or desperate.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23248532-post20.html
Well, apparently you are drunk now, as you can't even read correctly

I'd check post #37 in this very thread, where Rambuster posted it..
Old Jul 25, 2014, 7:53 am

Well, apparently you are drunk now, as you can't even read correctly

I'd check post #37 in this very thread, where Rambuster posted it..
Well, I'm not going on a plane for another couple days, so I think I'll be alright. Unless I'll be declared unfit-for-bus/subway, then I'll an appropriate forum to rant and shift blame :-).

You provided a link, data and results of your potential BAL at that points. Rambuster provided a link to interpret those results, not come to them (and proving what I've been saying about the legal definition in Poland earlier).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.