Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Beware of LOT - or a little story how to make sure customers don't come back..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beware of LOT - or a little story how to make sure customers don't come back..

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2014, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by ottone
Come on don't you think you guys are exagerating a little ? Throwing up is a consequence of a bad stomach, for which excessive alcohol is just one of the causes. Why would you assume that somebody is drunk just because he/she feels the need to throw up ? I once went very near to vomiting on an LH flight, and I hadn't event touched a drop of alcohol (I am abstemious) nor had I eaten too much.
I think you guys should give the OP a break.
The OP admitted having drunk enough to put him over the legally defined limit. And his behavior on board certainly warranted the actions taken by the cabin crew, which he also admits were justified.

He misjudged his capacity in that regard, could have happened to anyone for various reasons. Rather then owning up to it, he's shifting blame to another party because of events that followed...
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:09 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by fassy
Totally different thing... I would also appreciate flights without crying infants or fat stinking seat neighbours but that is not the point here. As said before, a guest boarding a plane and the first thing he does is vomiting in the lavatory is a total different thing.
Then why you bring up that metric??? If it is irrelevant what the other pax like or not then why fanfare it and then try to change the goalpost when being called out on it?
He could be seriously ill, really drunk or whatever...
None of which LOT made any effort whatsoever to address or assess. Hence for any legal means the OP was sober and not ill.
First thing I did not say he was drunk. But perhaps a little bit off... So sitting back an hour in a calm area with a glass of water would be probably more than good enough to get on the next flight.
With all due respect but that is just total rubbish. The airlines offer booze in their lounges. So you are allowed and encouraged to get tipsy in there.

If you do not say the OP was drunk then there is no grounds for the unfit to fly assessment.
As he said, he felt bad because he ran to the gate filled with beer and food. Leaving for the gate 10 minutes earlier would mean a nice slow walk down the gates to A44 - and might have resolved all the issues.
Pure speculation and a quirky one at that: if he vomited because he had to run then he was clearly fit to fly after having vomited. That stance makes no sense whatsoever.

And regarding the "dangerous disease" - the air in the plane is circulated. If that was the concern of the crew, deplaning would have been the only responsible measure.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by weero
None of which LOT made any effort whatsoever to address or assess. Hence for any legal means the OP was sober and not ill.
Question is do they have to? Where they supposed to call the cops for a mandatory test? I'm sure that would be the procedure if the passenger was unruly etc, but not sure if it's SOP for "just unfit".
Either way, airline has their cabin and ground crew testimony, OP has nothing.

Pure speculation and a quirky one at that: if he vomited because he had to run then he was clearly fit to fly after having vomited.
Or could be a sign of a bigger problem. I don't think the crew wanted to take any gambles being stuck in a metal tube for a couple hours. What if the pax was seriously ill and needed medical attention while airborne? What if he died before they could land? Success-fee lawyers would be all over that case.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by warakorn
..If you are serious - omg! EC261/2004 wont help you at all in that situation.
What makes you think that this was not an IDB?

Remember that the airline sold the OP a ticket in CH and independent on their filthy fine print owed the OP transport. They denied the OP transport on undisclosed grounds. It is solely LOT's duty to prove that the OP could not fly.
Ah ok. So you want to go down the road arguing in front of a court that LOT could not prove you were drunk and not fit to fly? Is it that what you are going at?
Sounds bulletproof to me.
Good luck in Swiss or Polish Court! I would recommend you to listen carefully what the judge is going to tell you at the end of the trial.
No judge in an SCC just a mediator.

Where do you see the risks? This is not suing LH on German soil.
Originally Posted by Lack
I didn't spend much time in ZRH or SIN, could someone please advise if having to throw up is a popular social behavior and sign of good health?
Perfectly fine for females to stay slim. And also great for the less slim feminists hired to write unread reports on how terrible bulimia is.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by Rambuster
Just to put it into perspective, in most jurisdictions in the world a blood alcohol level of 0.076% (or even 0.08%) would be considered legally drunk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_alcohol_content
Also, to put this into perspective, virtually all of these laws refer specifically to the act of operating a motor vehicle, whether it be automobile, train, boat, or plane. They are not legal definitions of drunkenness as regards to signing a contract or will, being in public, or sitting on a plane.

I understand that airlines can deny people the right to fly at their discretion. However, I would presume that judges are going to be very wary of allowing airlines to do that and then claim that they no longer have to fulfill the contract at all and can just keep the would-be passenger's money, without some clear evidence that it was the client's fault. Heck, if that were the case, it's a great business opportunity. Start an airline - never actually let anyone fly, and just keep collecting the profits til people catch wise.

Last edited by You want to go where?; Jul 24, 2014 at 11:49 am
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:37 am

Question is do they have to? Where they supposed to call the cops for a mandatory test?
No. They only need to do that if they want to deny further transport to the OP.

And this is where most mis-read the OP. The crew clearly acted only out of concern and hence had the OP's support and collaboration. They promised the OP that the desk would find an alternative for him.

Ground staff however tried to dump all fault on the OP without living up to any standards of securing a connection.
Either way, airline has their cabin and ground crew testimony, OP has nothing.
Beg you pardon? LOT has zero evidence, OP has the receipts for the alternative ticket. Including the credit card receipt which proves that the airline that just deemed him unfit to fly deems him fit to fly.

If testimonies from the crew would be heard (for a higher court), they could then deliver their promise that the OP would be rebooked on a later flight. That would get over well with LOT's defrauding of the OP.
Or could be a sign of a bigger problem. I don't think the crew wanted to take any gambles being stuck in a metal tube for a couple hours. What if the pax was seriously ill and needed medical attention while airborne? What if he died before they could land? Success-fee lawyers would be all over that case.
No one - especially not the OP - has an issue with this.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by You want to go where?
Also, to put this into perspective, virtually all of these laws refer specifically to the act of operating a motor vehicle, whether it be automobile, train, boat, or plane. They are not legal definitions of drunkenness as regards to signing a contract or will, being in public, or sitting on a plane.
It's just establishing a baseline, or narrative for the events.
Funny fact, in Poland same limit applied to operating a bicycle.

And this is where most mis-read the OP. The crew clearly acted only out of concern and hence had the OP's support and collaboration. They promised the OP that the desk would find an alternative for him.
You can make and argument that offering him another ticket fulfilled that promise. Or in the old-mafia style way, you could interpret "being taken care off" meaning ending up in a trunk of a black car, then they clearly failed on that.

Beg you pardon? LOT has zero evidence, OP has the receipts for the alternative ticket.
I'm sure they had to make a report of some sort, possibly change the flight manifest etc. Plus the eye witnesses whose version of event rarely gets disputed.
How exactly is a receipt relevant here? Using a credit cards as fit to fly assessment?

Including the credit card receipt which proves that the airline that just deemed him unfit to fly deems him fit to fly.
Fit to fly assessment done at the point of purchase would be quite a interesting procedure.

If testimonies from the crew would be heard (for a higher court), they could then deliver their promise that the OP would be rebooked on a later flight. That would get over well with LOT's defrauding of the OP.
Or they could delivery the opposite.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:58 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold

How exactly is a receipt relevant here? Using a credit cards as fit to fly assessment?

Fit to fly assessment done at the point of purchase would be quite a interesting procedure.
Well, at the minimum, they considered him fit to enter into a contract. It doesn't take much to argue if he was fit to do that, he was fit to sit in an airplane seat. We aren't asking the OP to fly the plane.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by You want to go where?
Well, at the minimum, they considered him fit to enter into a contract. It doesn't take much to argue if he was fit to do that, he was fit to sit in an airplane seat. We aren't asking the OP to fly the plane.
I think there are major differences between being on a plane or signing a credit card slip.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:21 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
I think there are major differences between being on a plane or signing a credit card slip.
I agree - asking an intoxicated person to sign a slip for several hundred Euros could even be deemed fraud.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:22 pm

Programs: A3*G
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
Come on... Who is responsable for the whole history? LOT serving you too much food in the lounge or was it your greed to maximize your lounge visit? Then almost missing the flight and now such a drama?

I fully understand the flight crew! Sure, they cannot judge how bad your body condition was, but of course they want to be on the safe side, avoid an medical emergency on board... And think about how happy you would be if somebody like you - that just got thrown up - would sit down next to you... with a nice sour smell / breath...

Just take this incident as an experience learned (and paid) and try to exclude that it will happen again... It's just your behaviour that you can control by your own!
Great answer, thank you ^^^
Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by gojko88
I agree - asking an intoxicated person to sign a slip for several hundred Euros could even be deemed fraud.
Which is obviously a bigger offense then jeopardizing safety and well being of yourself and other passengers 10km up in the sky. Not to mention proving the point of not being fit to fly on the first flight...
Old Jul 24, 2014, 1:45 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
I don't see any basis for a claim under EU 261/2004.

It states quite clearly what does and what doesn't constitute denied boarding:

(j) "denied boarding" means a refusal to carry passengers on a flight, although they have presented themselves for boarding under the conditions laid down in Article 3(2), except where there are reasonable grounds to deny them boarding, such as reasons of health, safety or security, or inadequate travel documentation;
Old Jul 24, 2014, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by RTW1

You seem awfully quick to dismiss your piggish behavior (I simply cannot classify stuffing yourself to the max for 2 hours with food and beer and then throwing up on the plane as something different). That was the event that set everything after in motion. We all have our moments of weakness, but most choose not to advertise them in public....
I couldn't agree more to this. Yes, the airline could have been a bit more helpful with rebooking, but come on. I am generally pretty appalled by the number of passengers who get drunk on flights (it's free!) and stuff themselves in lounges (it's free, too!), and somehow believe it's ok and normal standards of decency don't apply. If I was in the same situation as the OP, I would be so embarassed about myself that I would certainly not tell anyone (even on an anonymous internet forum), let alone complain at length.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:09 pm

Which is obviously a bigger offense then jeopardizing safety and well being of yourself and other passengers 10km up in the sky. Not to mention proving the point of not being fit to fly on the first flight...
So which one is it in your split-personality world-view: did LOT think he was badly drunk or did they not?

If they did, they did the right thing booting him and did the wrong thing selling him a ticket and letting him fly. If they did not, the IDBed him and hence owe full compensation.

Just decide on one version you want to accuse the OP of.
..You can make and argument that offering him another ticket fulfilled that promise. Or in the old-mafia style way, you could interpret "being taken care off" meaning ending up in a trunk of a black car, then they clearly failed on that.
Well the Mafia narrative goes well with having an intoxicated person sign the slip.
I'm sure they had to make a report of some sort, possibly change the flight manifest etc. Plus the eye witnesses whose version of event rarely gets disputed.
Yes. With a time stamp from a unbiased party. Unlike a report which is filed by an employee who needs to shield their interest.
Or they could delivery the opposite.
So you say that their statements are worthless and they should not be heard? I am trying to deconvolve the message here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.