Lufthansa business class [merged] experience reports

Old Mar 27, 2017, 2:38 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by kthpence
I love the 747-400 on LH ... it feels like a private plane. But yes, I would say direct aisle access trumps that.
Agree entirely about the private plane feel. May have felt quite different if I had someone sat next to me though.

I felt like the seat had been designed for either upright seating or flat bed and nothing in between as I found that there were some positions where there were compromises. For example, if I had the footrest up and the back reclined then the fixed armrest was too high but I couldn't access the cubby hole lower down for my arm so I ended up twisting slightly to fit in, and in this position the seat base was too flat so I ended up sliding off it. The OZ J seat has plenty of elbow room and the seat tilts up slightly when you go into lounger position. I also found that the LH seat rocks slightly with a clunk if you shift your weight forwards or backwards which is disconcerting and makes the seat feel a bit cheap.

The food was better on LH though. Shows that is is possible to have a steak that is warm, pink and tender on a long haul flight.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
lufthansa.com is your friend. There are no toilets in the front of the Business only A333 according to this seatmap.

http://www.lufthansa.com/mediapool/p...1065563446.pdf
Sorry -- I should have been more specific. I was wondering about how 1D/G were relative to other seats in the cabin. Does it have the "footsie" issue? Are the foot wells larger because they are in the bulkhead?

Also, I was wondering whether anyone had an opinion on the likelihood of the non-F 333 getting switched out for one with F.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by GBadger
Sorry -- I should have been more specific. I was wondering about how 1D/G were relative to other seats in the cabin. Does it have the "footsie" issue? Are the foot wells larger because they are in the bulkhead?

Also, I was wondering whether anyone had an opinion on the likelihood of the non-F 333 getting switched out for one with F.
On the likelihood of a change: it is always possible but the seatmaps shown in your booking are likely to be accurate. A plane swap would also mean that a few passengers would have to be reseated or rebooked so is something that Lufty will try to avoid.

Haven't flown the no-F A333 yet but generally the foot space (in 3D/G on the variant with F for example) is wider but lower due to the bulkhead above.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MichielR
On the likelihood of a change: it is always possible but the seatmaps shown in your booking are likely to be accurate. A plane swap would also mean that a few passengers would have to be reseated or rebooked so is something that Lufty will try to avoid.

Haven't flown the no-F A333 yet but generally the foot space (in 3D/G on the variant with F for example) is wider but lower due to the bulkhead above.
Good to know -- thank you!
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:22 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I did a non-F A330 yesterday, the row 1 is basically the former row 3 now. D/G clearly separate with footwells. The footsie barriers in row 2-5 are significantly larger, similar to the A350 seats.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:05 pm

Programs: Altitude 50KElite, EK Silver,
I was sitting in 1C on a 747-400 from FRA to YYZ on LH.

This was the third leg of what seemed to be the longest journey of my life: 6 hours in a car, followed by 1 hour flight, followed by another 1.5 hours in a car, followed by 8 hours flying, 5 hours layover, and my final flight home: 8 hours FRA to YYZ.

During the flight, I got up to stretch my legs and take a bit of a walk. I decided to climb the stairs from the main floor to the upper deck, and use the bathroom upstairs. Basically moving from J class to J class.

When I came out of the bathroom, I noticed the Purser and the stewardess on the upper deck, staring at me. As I walked by them, they asked me my name and seat number (even though the Purser had previously seen me in my seat and called me by name asking me if I wanted to purchase Duty Free).

They told me that they were concerned about security, and that it was abnormal for people to move up and down the stairs.

I wonder if it had anything to do with my skin tone (being dark - ie South Asian), or if this was a legitimate concern. Any thoughts are appreciated!!

Thanks....Airbus_Guy
Old Mar 29, 2017, 1:28 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by Airbus_Guy
I was sitting in 1C on a 747-400 from FRA to YYZ on LH.

This was the third leg of what seemed to be the longest journey of my life: 6 hours in a car, followed by 1 hour flight, followed by another 1.5 hours in a car, followed by 8 hours flying, 5 hours layover, and my final flight home: 8 hours FRA to YYZ.

During the flight, I got up to stretch my legs and take a bit of a walk. I decided to climb the stairs from the main floor to the upper deck, and use the bathroom upstairs. Basically moving from J class to J class.

When I came out of the bathroom, I noticed the Purser and the stewardess on the upper deck, staring at me. As I walked by them, they asked me my name and seat number (even though the Purser had previously seen me in my seat and called me by name asking me if I wanted to purchase Duty Free).

They told me that they were concerned about security, and that it was abnormal for people to move up and down the stairs.

I wonder if it had anything to do with my skin tone (being dark - ie South Asian), or if this was a legitimate concern. Any thoughts are appreciated!!

Thanks....Airbus_Guy
Plenty of legitimate reasons for what they said. Stairs aren't safe during flight in case of sudden turbulence. Another cabin isn't really a suitable place for you to go for a walk. The flight deck is on the upper deck and they have a duty to protect that space.

So, no, I don't think it is a race thing.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:12 am

Programs: LH FTL
The other way around, noone ever bothered when I was sitting on the upper deck and went down to stretch my legs and to use the bathrooms. From my experience, it is everything but 'abnormal' to walk up or down the stairs.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:41 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by roberino
Plenty of legitimate reasons for what they said. Stairs aren't safe during flight in case of sudden turbulence. Another cabin isn't really a suitable place for you to go for a walk. The flight deck is on the upper deck and they have a duty to protect that space.

So, no, I don't think it is a race thing.
United (PMCO route) clearly also protects the business cabins and also doesn't allow pax to cross over from starboard/port sides of the aircraft (or v/v) in the forward galley.

Also, on a 744, LH has (crazily) configured the upper deck with *only* 1 toilet forward, right behind the cockpit - when there used to be 2 earlier for 8 x F pax. (Earlier used to be 16 x F pax with the old seats, long ago)

(Note 748 has 2 toilets on the upper deck - as I recall, but have never flown on the a/c)

I would not fly a 744 on the upper deck (or even at all) - as the ratio of pax to toilets is too high.

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy; Mar 29, 2017 at 7:49 am
Old May 6, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: LH Sen
Seating on LH flight from FRA to DFW

Dear Frequent Flyers,

I have a question: I'll be on a flight next week from Frankfurt to Dallas Ft Worth on the LH A330. Currently booked Business in row 4. Is that better than row 10, for example?

Would appreciate your thoughts and feedback.

Best, Tags
Old Jun 1, 2017, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
lufthansa.com is your friend. There are no toilets in the front of the Business only A333 according to this seatmap.

http://www.lufthansa.com/mediapool/p...1065563446.pdf
I just flew on an all C A330 300 with flatbed seats. There are two lavs, both in the galley area behind row 5. None up front. There is still lots of commotion in the service area in front of row 1, though. In fact, I would highly recommend row 10 and 11 as having the best seats. They are in their own little cabin. Rows 1 through 5 have the FAs roaring up and down the aisles all flight. Each time they walk buy in either aisle your seat goes thump, thump, thump. The A330 floors must be made of cardboard. I was awakened several times thinking we had hit turbulence, but it was just the FAs going back and forth down the aisles. Rows 10 and 11 have much less FA traffic and no through pax traffic.

Row 11 would be preferred to row 10 because it is further from the galley.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: Lufthansa SEN, FB Gold, BA Silver
Flew C on the new A330-300 from South African Airways last week followed by C on the upperdeck of the LH 747-8. South African is much better. Seats are longer and wider especially around the feet. In both cases I was seated at the window, but direct aisle access on the A330 was great. Also lots of space to place your belongings and the power socket is high up next to the seat and not down by your feet like on Lufthansa. What I haven't experienced in C was a topper provided along with the duvet like in F on LX. On Lufthansa I usually ask for an extra blanket to place on the seat before sleeping so I don't have to use the pillow which is way too thick. Comparing South African to LH, LH loses again. They should really improve their product if they want to keep competing with the Gulf carriers and a lot of the non-European carriers. The only luck LH has is that KLM / AF and some of the US carriers offer an ever worse product.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 3:19 pm

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle, United Premier Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold, HHonors Gold
Best BC seats on A340-600 MUC-EWR?

Hi all,

I will be flying from MUC to EWR on a Lufthansa operated A340-600 soon. I was curious to hear others' experiences in business class on the newer style 2-2-2 layout. Any differences between aisle/window or middle section seats in terms of foot well space? Other tips for snagging a more comfortable seat is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 10, 2017, 5:06 pm

In the middle section, both seats angle towards each other, meaning your feet are right up next to your seat mate. On the right and left sections, the pair of seats angle towards the window (Right side seats angle to right, left side seats angle to left). This means in the right and left sections, your feet are right next to your seatmate's feet.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 5:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by plastus
Hi all,

I will be flying from MUC to EWR on a Lufthansa operated A340-600 soon. I was curious to hear others' experiences in business class on the newer style 2-2-2 layout. Any differences between aisle/window or middle section seats in terms of foot well space? Other tips for snagging a more comfortable seat is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Asked and answered myriad times over http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...e-reports.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.