Help with redeeming a Prize Voucher with LH

Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PC Platinum, Hyatt GP Diamond, Club Carlson Gold
Angry Help with redeeming a Prize Voucher with LH

A friend of mine won a prize from LH (RT ticket to Europe).
However, it is close to impossible to redeem the voucher prize because there is no phone number to call.
Only a fax and e-mail.

The e-mail looks like that.

nycida.ea/[email protected]

An e-mail was sent to that address more than 10 days ago to no avail.
Horrible!

Please help.

RM
Old Apr 15, 2014, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Rumeli
A friend of mine won a prize from LH (RT ticket to Europe).
However, it is close to impossible to redeem the voucher prize because there is no phone number to call.
Only a fax and e-mail.

The e-mail looks like that.

nycida.ea/[email protected]

An e-mail was sent to that address more than 10 days ago to no avail.
Horrible!

Please help.

RM
Where did he win it from? Facebook? etc?
Old Apr 15, 2014, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

One of the local festivals in Florida (Raffle ticket).

RM
Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
Where did he win it from? Facebook? etc?
Old Apr 15, 2014, 6:34 pm

One of the local festivals in Florida (Raffle ticket).

RM
How was the ticket awarded? Is it a certificate with a voucher code? The more info you can provide, the better I can help. Feel free to DM me the details.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 1:26 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The 'nycida.ea/[email protected]' email ID indicates that this is a IDA ticket, ie they will book you into the non revenue X or R class.

Just call LH NYC headquarters at +1 516-296-9200 and explain the switchboard about your problem. It may be that they will redirect you to the MIA sales office who probably sponsored this ticket.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The 'nycida.ea/[email protected]' email ID indicates that this is a IDA ticket, ie they will book you into the non revenue X or R class.

Just call LH NYC headquarters at +1 516-296-9200 and explain the switchboard about your problem. It may be that they will redirect you to the MIA sales office who probably sponsored this ticket.
Thank you so much for the advice.

I will call their HQ and ask for help.
Yes, it is certainly a non-revenue ticket because it was donated by LH.
It is a paper voucher that normally needs to be faxed prior to booking.
RM
Old Apr 16, 2014, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Thank you so much for the advice.

I will call their HQ and ask for help.
Yes, it is certainly a non-revenue ticket because it was donated by LH.
It is a paper voucher that normally needs to be faxed prior to booking.
RM

"Donated by Lufthansa" is an awkward notion.

Your friend may not thank you for your efforts. Fees, surcharges and taxes could add up to something close to the regular fare.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:55 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

These tickets are usually really free, booked in X/R with no taxes shown on the receipt.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
These tickets are usually really free, booked in X/R with no taxes shown on the receipt.
Well that's nice !

But wasn't there a recent competition/prize/raffle where any trip was rendered largely unattractive by the conditions surrounding it and the costs of redeeming? One of those FT nuggets that drifted past me a few months' back..
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:13 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Well that's nice !

But wasn't there a recent competition/prize/raffle where any trip was rendered largely unattractive by the conditions surrounding it and the costs of redeeming? One of those FT nuggets that drifted past me a few months' back..
Speaking to the tax laws in the USA, depending on your marginal tax bracket and the calculation of the value of the ticket, it is quite possible that the increase in tax liability can be greater than cost of simply buying a similar ticket, perhaps with fewer restrictions.

There was a fairly famous case not so long ago with AA and their "we know why you fly" promotion where someone won round-the-world travel and then declined to accept because it was possible to actually buy the tickets less expensively than the tax costs (hmmm...sound familiar--the "free" one actually costs more?)..

Last edited by N1003U; Apr 19, 2014 at 6:06 am
Old Apr 19, 2014, 1:44 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Yes, there was this "win enough miles for a round-the-world trip". The miles could only be used for a round-the world-trip and the airport fees and scam charges (aka fuel surcharge) would have added up to around $2000. The miles were supposed to be canceled if not used for a round-the-world trip within the set time...

What kind of people come up with these ideas? Don't they have any decency left?

HTB.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by N1003U
Speaking to the tax laws in the USA, depending on your marginal tax bracket and the calculation of the value of the ticket, it is quite possible that the increase in tax liability can be greater than cost of simply buying a similar ticket, perhaps with fewer restrictions.
When LH gave away TATL eco tickets as part of SMD 1 & 2 the winner didn't get a 1099 for their IRS paperwork, so I would assume this is not the case for the OP.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 6:44 am

I know them as taxes to be paid though no fuel surcharges, etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.