Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: warakorn
VC has announced a stike phase from 0am on 02APR14 till 11.59pm on 04APR14:

Die VC wird ihre Mitglieder vom 02. April 00.00 Uhr bis 04. April 23.59 Uhr zum bundesweiten Arbeitskampf zur Durchsetzung eines neuen Tarifvertrages bergangsversorgung aufrufen.
Expect massive advance cancellations. VC pilots only operate LH Mainline A32S, B737 and longhaul widebodies, so expect cancellations on such flights.

The current list of cancellations can be found here:
http://www.lufthansa.com/online/portal/lh/de/flight_services/cancelled_flights?nodeid=118127922&l=de&cid=18002

Or just open your booking and take a look.

Once the cancellation is announced LH allows rebooking online or via the phone. The exact procedure is described here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1541419-flyertalk-vielfliegertreff-lufthansa-irreg-interview.html

According to EU passenger rights regulation EC261/2004 article 8, the operating carrier (Lufthansa) is responsible to reroute passengers under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at the earliest opportunity.
Article 8 also applies in situations like strikes.

Tickets issued for 2-4APR just received a waiver to rebook for free:

Announced strike of the pilots union from April, 2nd 4th, 2014
The pilots union Vereinigung Cockpit (VC) has called upon its members at Lufthansa, Lufthansa Cargo and Germanwings to cease work for three days from Wednesday, April 2nd 2014, 00:00, to Friday, 4th April 2014, at 23:59 at all German airports.

In order to keep impact of the strike as low as possible, Lufthansa will inform its customers about details of flight cancellations and alternative travel options via www.LH.com as soon as possible. Customers, who advised their contact information, will be informed by e-mail and SMS notifications about changes of their flights.

Lufthansa will publish a list with cancelled flights as well as information for passenger services on Monday afternoon, 31st March 2014.

Passengers holding a Lufthansa/SWISS/Austrian Airlines or Brussels ticket for flights on April 2nd April 4th, 2014 from/to/via Germany, are permitted to rebook their flight once free of charge online via My Bookings with immediate effect, provided that:

- the ticket was issued on/before March 28th, 2014
- the new travel date is on/before September 30th, 2014
- the original ticket class remains
- all other fare conditions are adhered to

Passengers may also contact our service center on +49(0)69-86-799-799* or via one of our local phone numbers.

* Calls from German landlines at local rates, call charges from German mobile networks may vary dependent upon the provider
Print Wikipost

VC Pilots Strike 02-04 APR 2014 [discussion & info wiki]

Old Mar 31, 2014, 6:27 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Sadly the ease with which LH has managed the half day verdi strike probably inspired VC to go for 3 instead of one day...
D'OH!
Old Mar 31, 2014, 6:33 am

Programs: QR P; HH D; IHG SpAmb
Originally Posted by a9504477
Interesting i'm booked ICN-FRA on Apr 4 which currently isn't listed although the ICN-MUC flight is - i guess my hope will be in vain...
Already got an email that the flight is cancelled...
Old Mar 31, 2014, 6:57 am

anyone who is gonna be canceled, called up right away
The longer you wait, the less available seats to change you too
Old Mar 31, 2014, 7:04 am

Programs: QR P; HH D; IHG SpAmb
Originally Posted by zipo
anyone who is gonna be canceled, called up right away
The longer you wait, the less available seats to change you too
I spoke to an agent yesterday when i was connecting at FRA regarding my flights back on the 4th. He said, that if you wait until the scheduled departure day, they might put you on a different connection (ie different carrier) but they could do so only on the day.
Not sure whether this will indeed be the case, and he then also booked me some seats on the 5th in case i can't leave on the 4th, and i would then just have to have it ticketed which i could do at the airport.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 7:26 am

News release from LH (as of right now there's only a German version available):

http://www.lufthansagroup.com/de/pre...icle/2873.html

Lufthansa stellt aufgrund von Streiks der Piloten den Flugbetrieb am Mittwoch, Donnerstag und Freitag weitestgehend ein

● Vollstreik an drei aufeinander folgenden Tagen wre einer der grten Ausstnde in der Geschichte der Lufthansa ● Voraussichtlich ber 425.000 Fluggste betroffen ● Piloten der Verbundairlines Swiss International Air Lines, Austrian Airlines, Brussels Airlines, Eurowings, Lufthansa CityLine und Air Dolomiti beteiligen sich nicht am Streik.

Translation:
- Lufthansa cancels most flights on Wed, Thu and Fri.
- the strike will be one of the biggest in LH's history.
- approx. 425k pax are affected.
- LX, OS, SN, EW, CL and EN are not participating in the strike.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 7:27 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
As mentioned in the interview (see link in the wiki above), LH has to make reprotection agreements when the cancelled flight is more than 24h away. Within the 24h they can rebook onto IATA carriers.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 7:32 am

Rant...sorry

Why does VC believe there is a need for a strike?

- Has VC realised its time again to be in the headlines?
- Has any of the VC members not received their salary lately?
- Are the VC members at risk of having their homes repossessed due to outstanding CC bills from standby flights in C?
- Is it too much to ask for monitoring a fully automatic cockpit and following ATC instructions?
- Is all the pampering with discounts etc. getting too much?
- Is this German company trying to become like AF?

If you don't like your job or the conditions or you can't bring food on the table, search for a new job. If you are bored with your job and can't progress, say goodbye, create your own company and work harder.

I do not see any plausible reason for this strike apart from a egocentric driven VC.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 8:17 am

Programs: *A Gold (LH SEN), Hertz 5*
Two questions in this regard:
1) I have a booking BRE-FRA-EWR. My flight from FRA to EWR on April 2nd got cancelled. I cannot rebook to swiss, austria or brussels air becuase they dont fly from BRE. Will LH (if me or my TA ever gets through to them) rebook me to the SAS flight BRE-CPH-EWR for free?
I can not fly another date. Need to go April 2nd.

2) Lets assume they would rebook me to SAS. This airline would technically not earn me 25% exec bonus miles. Will LH be nice enough to give me 25% bonus miles because I had a ticket for LH but no other choice than rebooking to SAS?

-P
Old Mar 31, 2014, 8:21 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Take HAM as an alternative instead? If LH have not made a reprotection agreement with SK, they probably can't rebook onto SK that far in advance. The usual sequence is LH: LH Group: *Alliance: Others.

SK has just offered all pax with LH segments on a SK ticket a rebooking:

Code:
31MAR14
Possible strike among LH pilots from 02APR14 - 04APR14 (31MAR14 11:00 UTC)
Lufthansas pilot union Vereinigung Cockpit (VC) has announced worldwide labour action of its members at Lufthansa, Lufthansa Cargo and Germanwings for three days from 02APR14 00:00 until 04APR14 at 23:59.
Rebooking

Passengers holding SK/117 tickets with LH 02APR14 00:00 until 04APR14 at 23:59  may rebook/reroute to another date on SK or LH operated flights in the same booking class or lowest available booking class in the same service class as originally booked, without any rebooking fee. 
Rebooking and ticket reissue for Travel Agents

Travel agents are authorized to involuntary rebook SK/117 with LH 02APR14 00:00 until 04APR14 at 23:59 may rebook/reroute to another date on SK or LH operated flights in the same booking class or lowest available booking class in the same service class as originally booked,

Tickets must be marked with: FE INVOL DUE LH PILOT STRIKE 02APR-04APR.
Refund
Only permitted if flight is cancelled.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 8:24 am
Suspended

What happens in a situation like that? I'm concerned since I booked a business class seat with United points right before the devaluation. Would United give me another seat on another *A flight of similar value? Refund my points and force me to buy a ticket home? (Or worst case scenario: Take my points, _and_ force me to pay for a ticket home?)
Old Mar 31, 2014, 8:28 am

Those of you stuck in this mess we are keeping our fingers crossed for you and hope you get out of it soon. I cannot believe my luck this time! I had wisdom teeth removed on Friday so I have been grounded for two weeks! So I had already cancelled all airtraffic during this time......
Old Mar 31, 2014, 8:53 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cas_de
News release from LH (as of right now there's only a German version available):

http://www.lufthansagroup.com/de/pre...icle/2873.html
Link to the English language version.

http://www.lufthansagroup.com/en/pre...icle/2873.html
Old Mar 31, 2014, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by greggarious
What happens in a situation like that? I'm concerned since I booked a business class seat with United points right before the devaluation. Would United give me another seat on another *A flight of similar value? Refund my points and force me to buy a ticket home? (Or worst case scenario: Take my points, _and_ force me to pay for a ticket home?)
Your ticket would normally not be repriced just rebooked.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Your ticket would normally not be repriced just rebooked.
Slightly OT, but:

I have seen scenarios where UA agents not only try to charge you the additional miles after the Feb14 devaluation, but also come up with "new" rules, such as a stopover is no longer 24 hrs, but you *have* to connect on the next possible flight. So I would be careful when dealing with United Award Tickets.

On topic:
Calling UA will most likely not help yet, as they don't show the new potential strike on their homepage yet - you can still see the ver.di one listed there:

http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/trav...elnotices.aspx
Old Mar 31, 2014, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by cas_de

On topic:
Calling UA will most likely not help yet, as they don't show the new potential strike on their homepage yet - you can still see the ver.di one listed there:

http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/trav...elnotices.aspx
I just called United to rebook my F class award ticket. 15 minutes on hold, they were aware of strike and offered me United alternative on same day, or LH on April 5th (which I took as I am flexible on dates). They took care of me quickly and painlessly.

This was an award ticket, change made free of charge, put me into available seat on LH First (even with no award availability).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.