Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: warakorn
VC has announced a stike phase from 0am on 02APR14 till 11.59pm on 04APR14:

Die VC wird ihre Mitglieder vom 02. April 00.00 Uhr bis 04. April 23.59 Uhr zum bundesweiten Arbeitskampf zur Durchsetzung eines neuen Tarifvertrages bergangsversorgung aufrufen.
Expect massive advance cancellations. VC pilots only operate LH Mainline A32S, B737 and longhaul widebodies, so expect cancellations on such flights.

The current list of cancellations can be found here:
http://www.lufthansa.com/online/portal/lh/de/flight_services/cancelled_flights?nodeid=118127922&l=de&cid=18002

Or just open your booking and take a look.

Once the cancellation is announced LH allows rebooking online or via the phone. The exact procedure is described here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1541419-flyertalk-vielfliegertreff-lufthansa-irreg-interview.html

According to EU passenger rights regulation EC261/2004 article 8, the operating carrier (Lufthansa) is responsible to reroute passengers under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at the earliest opportunity.
Article 8 also applies in situations like strikes.

Tickets issued for 2-4APR just received a waiver to rebook for free:

Announced strike of the pilots union from April, 2nd 4th, 2014
The pilots union Vereinigung Cockpit (VC) has called upon its members at Lufthansa, Lufthansa Cargo and Germanwings to cease work for three days from Wednesday, April 2nd 2014, 00:00, to Friday, 4th April 2014, at 23:59 at all German airports.

In order to keep impact of the strike as low as possible, Lufthansa will inform its customers about details of flight cancellations and alternative travel options via www.LH.com as soon as possible. Customers, who advised their contact information, will be informed by e-mail and SMS notifications about changes of their flights.

Lufthansa will publish a list with cancelled flights as well as information for passenger services on Monday afternoon, 31st March 2014.

Passengers holding a Lufthansa/SWISS/Austrian Airlines or Brussels ticket for flights on April 2nd April 4th, 2014 from/to/via Germany, are permitted to rebook their flight once free of charge online via My Bookings with immediate effect, provided that:

- the ticket was issued on/before March 28th, 2014
- the new travel date is on/before September 30th, 2014
- the original ticket class remains
- all other fare conditions are adhered to

Passengers may also contact our service center on +49(0)69-86-799-799* or via one of our local phone numbers.

* Calls from German landlines at local rates, call charges from German mobile networks may vary dependent upon the provider
Print Wikipost

VC Pilots Strike 02-04 APR 2014 [discussion & info wiki]

Old Mar 21, 2014, 6:47 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Exclamation VC Pilots Strike 02-04 APR 2014 [discussion & info wiki]

97.2% of the VC pilots voted to use striking as an option today:
http://www.dw.de/pilots-at-germanys-...ike/a-17512084

The good part:
The union also said any work stoppages would be announced 48 hours ahead of time, in order to give Lufthansa passengers the chance to chance their travel plans. However, it has ruled out going out on strike during the upcoming Easter holidays, a period of heavy travel in Germany.
The bad part:
Shortly after the announcement, the union said work stoppages could be begin at any time.
In the good old tradition of the 2010 VC strike and other labor incidents, lets open a discussion and an info thread.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
97.2% of the VC pilots voted to use striking as an option today:
http://www.dw.de/pilots-at-germanys-...ike/a-17512084

The good part:

The bad part:

In the good old tradition of the 2010 VC strike and other labor incidents, lets open a discussion and an info thread.

There's an asterisk re: the Easter strike, One account that I read quoted a union member that they would strike on easter if 'provoked'.....Curious just how sensitive the union will be to provocation.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
97.2% of the VC pilots voted to use striking as an option today
Dumb question: what does VC stand for? I checked the glossary but could not find it there.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by mmff
Dumb question: what does VC stand for? I checked the glossary but could not find it there.
Vereinigung Cockpit - name of the union
Old Mar 21, 2014, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by mmff
http://www.vcockpit.de
Old Mar 21, 2014, 9:13 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Damnit. I got KRK-FRA-DOH on LH booked for Tuesday. Friend has WAW-FRA-DOH booked on Tuesday.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by jason8612
Damnit. I got KRK-FRA-DOH on LH booked for Tuesday. Friend has WAW-FRA-DOH booked on Tuesday.
Strike is not imminent. The vote authorizes the call for a strike at some point in the future.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
Strike is not imminent. The vote authorizes the call for a strike at some point in the future.
Ah OK.
so now the ball is on LH side. So as long as they don't reject it too quickly, my flights on Tuesday (taking into account the 48hr notice they promised) should be good.
they would need to decide on Sunday to strike Tuesday.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 9:26 am

Ah OK.
so now the ball is on LH side. So as long as they don't reject it too quickly, my flights on Tuesday (taking into account the 48hr notice they promised) should be good.
they would need to decide on Sunday to strike Tuesday.
Exactly. Lets hope there's a cooling of period at least until monday...
Old Mar 21, 2014, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
Exactly. Lets hope there's a cooling of period at least until monday...
Well it's a beautiful day. they should all go enjoy it. Relax over the weekend and come back next week to make a decision
Old Mar 21, 2014, 10:00 am

Well it's a beautiful day. they should all go enjoy it. Relax over the weekend and come back next week to make a decision
I'd like a moratorium until May 16 especially between May 7 and 16th...
Old Mar 21, 2014, 2:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat
Yikes, I have a flight a week from today (29 March) and again on 7 April. Guess I will keep checking back on FlyerTalk for more news!
Old Mar 21, 2014, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat + SPG Plat
Flew two LH flights today; ZRH-DUS/DUS-FCO all without problems. I have an FCO-VIE on Tuesday and a VIE-WAW on Thursday, followed by WAW-MUC/MUC-ZRH on the 30th. Here's to hoping they reach a settlement before a strike occurs.

On that note, what's the best course of action for a leisure traveler such as myself in the event a strike happens? (I'm especially curious if anyone has experience with this around mileage award tickets.)
Old Mar 21, 2014, 3:23 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by coastalguy
On that note, what's the best course of action for a leisure traveler such as myself in the event a strike happens? (I'm especially curious if anyone has experience with this around mileage award tickets.)
Some details are here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...interview.html
Old Mar 21, 2014, 7:09 pm

Programs: LX HON***, FB Silver, BA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt GP, Hertz Gold, GHA Black
I only have LX on my schedule in the rest of March and April

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.