Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: warakorn
VC has announced a stike phase from 0am on 02APR14 till 11.59pm on 04APR14:

Die VC wird ihre Mitglieder vom 02. April 00.00 Uhr bis 04. April 23.59 Uhr zum bundesweiten Arbeitskampf zur Durchsetzung eines neuen Tarifvertrages Übergangsversorgung aufrufen.
Expect massive advance cancellations. VC pilots only operate LH Mainline A32S, B737 and longhaul widebodies, so expect cancellations on such flights.

The current list of cancellations can be found here:
http://www.lufthansa.com/online/portal/lh/de/flight_services/cancelled_flights?nodeid=118127922&l=de&cid=18002

Or just open your booking and take a look.

Once the cancellation is announced LH allows rebooking online or via the phone. The exact procedure is described here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1541419-flyertalk-vielfliegertreff-lufthansa-irreg-interview.html

According to EU passenger rights regulation EC261/2004 article 8, the operating carrier (Lufthansa) is responsible to reroute passengers under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at the earliest opportunity.
Article 8 also applies in situations like strikes.

Tickets issued for 2-4APR just received a waiver to rebook for free:

Announced strike of the pilots union from April, 2nd – 4th, 2014
The pilots union “Vereinigung Cockpit” (VC) has called upon its members at Lufthansa, Lufthansa Cargo and Germanwings to cease work for three days from Wednesday, April 2nd 2014, 00:00, to Friday, 4th April 2014, at 23:59 at all German airports.

In order to keep impact of the strike as low as possible, Lufthansa will inform its customers about details of flight cancellations and alternative travel options via www.LH.com as soon as possible. Customers, who advised their contact information, will be informed by e-mail and SMS notifications about changes of their flights.

Lufthansa will publish a list with cancelled flights as well as information for passenger services on Monday afternoon, 31st March 2014.

Passengers holding a Lufthansa/SWISS/Austrian Airlines or Brussels ticket for flights on April 2nd – April 4th, 2014 from/to/via Germany, are permitted to rebook their flight once free of charge online via My Bookings with immediate effect, provided that:

- the ticket was issued on/before March 28th, 2014
- the new travel date is on/before September 30th, 2014
- the original ticket class remains
- all other fare conditions are adhered to

Passengers may also contact our service center on +49(0)69-86-799-799* or via one of our local phone numbers.

* Calls from German landlines at local rates, call charges from German mobile networks may vary dependent upon the provider
Print Wikipost

VC Pilots Strike 02-04 APR 2014 [discussion & info wiki]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2014, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
No I haven't driven a bus, but my point is that given 2 sets of emergencies, the aircraft is at far greater risk for disaster than a bus..
This holds neither true statistically nor in a per case scenario. The chance that the bus will crash if a tyre blows, is a lot larger than for an engine out (or a tyre burst to be pedantic) in an airliner.
..since for an aircraft there will be far fewer options to land safely than for a bus to pull over safely.
That assumes that the vehicle is maneuverable normally which is the case we are not presuming.
I'm not saying that he bus driver's job is marginalized, it's just IMHO the aircraft pilot needs to have more in his 'skillset' toolbox.
I wouldn't know - I was allowed at the helm of two jets and one bus and failed miserably to only execute the simplest actions.
My acid test for this would be that I would much rather be on a bus that is out of control or suffering an emergency (flat tire, engine fire, etc) than on an aircraft at 38k feet over the atlantic when the engines go quiet....I think if anyone would rather be on a plane vs. a bus on a given emergency is asking for far more trouble!
I would definitely take the plane. I have been in two engine outs (one of two in each case) incidents on planes and the pilots handled it gracefully. I'd not want to be in a road vehicle at high speeds when a tyre failure occurs.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by weero
This holds neither true statistically nor in a per case scenario. The chance that the bus will crash if a tyre blows, is a lot larger than for an engine out (or a tyre burst to be pedantic) in an airliner.

That assumes that the vehicle is maneuverable normally which is the case we are not presuming.

I wouldn't know - I was allowed at the helm of two jets and one bus and failed miserably to only execute the simplest actions.

I would definitely take the plane. I have been in two engine outs (one of two in each case) incidents on planes and the pilots handled it gracefully. I'd not want to be in a road vehicle at high speeds when a tyre failure occurs.
What ever makes you happy....
Old Mar 27, 2014, 10:52 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
What ever makes you happy....
You can wage your largest muscle that it does .
Old Mar 27, 2014, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat + SPG Plat
Unhappy

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The strike will be announced 48h in advance and LH will adjust the schedule. Then you proceed as per the comments in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...interview.html
Worrying now makes no sense.
Surely not your intent, but the thread reference makes little sense. There is still no transcript for that chat according to the last post in the thread?

Being potentially impacted by the strike(s) with upcoming LH flights on Sunday and receiving absolutely NO help from the LH SEN desk nor the Twitter CS for either LH/LH-USA teams, I can only say that we're a tad concerned here...
Old Mar 27, 2014, 6:07 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by coastalguy
Being potentially impacted by the strike(s) with upcoming LH flights on Sunday and receiving absolutely NO help from the LH SEN desk nor the Twitter CS for either LH/LH-USA teams, I can only say that we're a tad concerned here...
The only potential impact for a pilot strike is that press release. Hardly something to really worry about (more than you usually would). As mentioned there any strike by the pilots will be communicated at least 48hrs in advance. So it is really very unlickely that you will be impacted this Sunday.

And also nothing you could expect LH to be doing since everything is flying as scheduled (the airport strikes are totally unrelated here, and LH handled those rather efficiently).
Old Mar 28, 2014, 3:21 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by coastalguy
Surely not your intent, but the thread reference makes little sense. There is still no transcript for that chat according to the last post in the thread?
Sorry, wrong link, please read the info posted here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...interview.html
Old Mar 28, 2014, 6:18 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Why don't we just shut the entire country down??? I am extremely annoyed...

http://www.vcockpit.de/presse/presse...ockpit-vc.html

LH pilots go on strike between April 2 12 a.m. and April 4 11:59 p.m.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 6:36 am

Programs: Aeroplan, M&M
Originally Posted by cas_de
Why don't we just shut the entire country down??? I am extremely annoyed...

http://www.vcockpit.de/presse/presse...ockpit-vc.html

LH pilots go on strike between April 2 12 a.m. and April 4 11:59 p.m.
They go on strike for 2 days??? Wow!

I am flying on the 2nd but I still can't find the rebooking online option. Does that mean that the strike is not really confirmed yet?
Old Mar 28, 2014, 6:40 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Originally Posted by mashlakito
They go on strike for 2 days??? Wow!

I am flying on the 2nd but I still can't find the rebooking online option. Does that mean that the strike is not really confirmed yet?
Three days...

April 2, 3 and 4

The link I did post shows the press release of the VC union. So for now it seems to be "confirmed" unless LH and VC come to an agreement before April 2.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 6:42 am

But they can't keep the flying public waiting to see if they come to an agreement.....
Old Mar 28, 2014, 6:50 am

I just called and they informed me that they are not authorized to make rebookings as of yet....
Old Mar 28, 2014, 6:55 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
We should have a sticky thread in this forum with the strike dates. Rigth now this information is burried pretty deep in this thread.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:17 am

Any insider information as to when they will allow re-bookings?
Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, TK*G (not matched)
Looks like LH has already zeroed out all booking classes on all their Wednesday' to Friday's flights next week so they do not think that they'll for sure manage to come to an agreement with VC before the strike.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:27 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Lufthansa will probably shortly announce the flights which will be canceled and which will be not affected. As soon the flight you are booked on is canceled you will have various options to change your flight online or via phone. It is not possible to to do this without the actual cancellation.

1) If possible (only for intra-German flighst) you can exchange your ticket for a train ticket (this can be done online on the LH website and you can print out the train ticket at home)
2) You can cancel your flight and get your money back
3) You can rebook once your flight for free

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.