Search

LOT YYZ-WAW cancelled, tech....

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada, Hyatt
Originally Posted by krzysz
Read this text carefully before you quote it; this is a different scenario:

The LOT flight had mech at an outstation. You would need to be able to show that the airline was aware of the engine problem beforehand, but if that was so, how come it managed to arrive in YYZ just a few hours before the scheduled departure back to WAW.

The aircraft arrived in YYZ a week prior, had engine trouble, supposedly they fixed it, guess not...
Old Apr 14, 2014, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

LOT YYZ-WAW cancelled, tech....

After resubmitting my supporting evidence to my claim for compensation as well as for supplementary compensation for my STILL missing suit case, LOT has failed to reply or acknowledge receipt of my correspondences.
my attorney and I have concluded that we do have a strong case against lot and have proceeded in filing suit against them.
we're obviously demanding more than the original EUR 600 payment to which I am entitled....
Maybe this will finally be the flame they so desperately need little under their collective arses.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 2:42 am

Programs: HH gold, Marriott PLT, LH FTL, A3 *G, IHG Plat Ambassador, CC Gold, Mileage+ Silver, TK Elite
Originally Posted by XmaX
Are you sure that the circumstances are not extraordinary though?

In the pdf posted earlier (link), the circumstances are NOT extraordinary only in two tech scenarios:
  1. Technical issues which arise as a result of the air carrier’s failure to maintain its aircraft in accordance with the required maintenance programme.
  2. Technical issues which were found during maintenance where the part or system in question was scheduled to be checked.
If I understand correctly, if your flight was cancelled because of either of those two, then you are entitled to compensation.
This is one of the standard answers you get from LOT,
We would like to emphasise that in accordance with the Regulation (EC) No 261/2004 a carrier is not obliged to pay compensation in the event of flight cancellation if it was caused by reasons beyond its control. Kindly be informed that unexpected flight safety shortcomings are listed as one of such factors in recital 14 in the preamble to the Regulation.

Kindly be informed that the European Commission has published a detailed list of extraordinary circumstances, which is available on the following website:

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/themes...ances-list.pdf

The technical fault of the aircraft planned to operate the flight was detected immediately prior to departure, which corresponds to category 25 on the list and indicates extraordinary circumstances which exempt the carrier from the obligation to pay compensation.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 3:55 am

Programs: A3 Gold, LH FTL
Originally Posted by djswa007
Kindly be informed that the European Commission has published a detailed list of extraordinary circumstances, which is available on the following website:

Wow I think just about the only item that they forgot from the list is:
"31 / Reservations / Unexpectedly low number of reservations for flight, resulting in severly unprofitable operation"

But oh well, its non-binding.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by djswa007
This is one of the standard answers you get from LOT,
We would like to emphasise that in accordance with the Regulation (EC) No 261/2004 a carrier is not obliged to pay compensation in the event of flight cancellation if it was caused by reasons beyond its control. Kindly be informed that unexpected flight safety shortcomings are listed as one of such factors in recital 14 in the preamble to the Regulation.

The technical fault of the aircraft planned to operate the flight was detected immediately prior to departure, which corresponds to category 25 on the list and indicates extraordinary circumstances which exempt the carrier from the obligation to pay compensation.
Standard answer send by most of the airlines, got very similar from Swiss and Lufthansa
Old Apr 16, 2014, 2:13 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, AF FB, SQ KF, SPG, MR
BA have a different template but the gist is identical.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
At least you are one step farther now.
You can prove that LOT received your claim and that LOT refused it.
Now you can actually hire lawyer to sue them.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by warakorn
At least you are one step farther now.
You can prove that LOT received your claim and that LOT refused it.
Now you can actually hire lawyer to sue them.
Thats what I've done, I wonder will all this will lead in the end.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by rafi2k6
Now is a time to complain to the relevant authority, any decent lawyer should know that.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 2:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lack
Originally Posted by rafi2k6
Now is a time to complain to the relevant authority, any decent lawyer should know that.
Yep. We've filed suit in court as well as sent LOT a proposal for compensation...
Old Apr 18, 2014, 3:08 pm

Out of interest, in which country are you taking the legal action? How long do you expect it to take?

In the UK, court actions due to EU261 and delays/cancellations caused by technical defects are currently stayed (i.e on hold) pending an appeal by Jet2 on a very similar topic where a technical problem was found at an outstation.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 8420PR
Out of interest, in which country are you taking the legal action? How long do you expect it to take?

In the UK, court actions due to EU261 and delays/cancellations caused by technical defects are currently stayed (i.e on hold) pending an appeal by Jet2 on a very similar topic where a technical problem was found at an outstation.
I've filed suit against them in Ontario (Canada) small claims court, as well as in Warsaw, Poland.

I've also sent them another letter signed and authenticated by the appropriate authorities notifying them that should they Preffer to settle out of court I'd be happy to meet with their people and hammer out a deal.
We shall see.
Old May 22, 2014, 2:51 am
Suspended

Yep. We've filed suit in court as well as sent LOT a proposal for compensation...
Ok, so whats the status of your legal action?
5 weeks have passed.
Old May 22, 2014, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by warakorn
Ok, so whats the status of your legal action?
5 weeks have passed.
So far they've voluntarily reimbursed me for the cost of the tickets plus a few bucks to cover my hotel and meal costs, note it was voluntarily and I accepted after consulting with my counsel.
We have determined however that we still have a very strong case against them and have a court date in Poland and a court date in Ontario coming up, proforma.
We'll see what'll happen. Counsel suggests that we may be awarded a lesser award but even that figure is OK with me.
Old May 22, 2014, 8:05 am
Suspended

So far they've voluntarily reimbursed me for the cost of the tickets plus a few bucks to cover my hotel and meal costs, note it was voluntarily and I accepted after consulting with my counsel.
Has the money already reached your bank account?
Refunding the ticket for a cancelled flight is the absolute minimum.
I am afraid you have forfeited your right of claiming the fare difference (old ticket vs. replacement ticket), once you "voluntarily" accepted the refund.
Is your counsel aware of EC261/2004? Is it your friend, specializing in consumer litigation?

Unfortunately for LOT they have no idea who they're dealing with.
I'll get me money. I guarentee it.
I thought you were a fighter.

I have insurance from Amex for the baggage, however that's limited to $500, i've needed to purchase a suit and dress shoes plus a dress shirt, which has far exceeded the $500 amount covered.
Have you received the 500 Dollars from AMEX already?

Knowing the attitude of LOT.
But, yes, I will ask you in 4 weeks, if you have received the EUR 600 into your account.
At this point I will put the probability at 5%.
I really hope your wrong on this but I have a feeling I'll be the one buying the drinks...
I guess I won my own bet. LOT has not paid the EUR 600 compensation - even after more than 2.5 months. No surprise at all!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.