Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

LHs strategy: discussion thread for customers, investors, consultants & armchair CEOs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHs strategy: discussion thread for customers, investors, consultants & armchair CEOs

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2013, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by weero
They didn't intensively cater for the second half of that equation though...

But then the trash carrier of the OneWorld, MH, also received a 5th star. So there is a large, prejudiced, uninformed, gullible, and easily manipulated army of morons out there who has the energy to vote for some airlines entirely undeserving of applause.

So given that LH is the flag carrier of the biggest monolithic market on Earth, with a further decrease of literacy and influx of non-integrated alines, there is an excellent chance that LH will soon be voted up by the Skytrax folks ....
It´s always nice getting up in the morning and reading your positive predictions for the future of mankind.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 9:41 am

Programs: MR Plat.
I think the RASK part is mainly driven by the Asian markets with heavy competition by the Gulf carriers and unfavorable exchange rate conditions in the region. In the medium term, after completion of the phase out of the 343 and 744 I see potential for higher RASK by swapping traffic from F awards redemption tickets to "fully paid" C class tickets. Until then it is a long road.
As far as justifying a yield-premium due to a supposedly better product is concerned, I have my doubts. LH is at least out of Germany on the very high end of the market, so revenue increase potential for individuals and small businesses is limited. And as far as the 40% of Revuenues associated with corporates: Good luck with negiotiating higher rates with their purchasing departments...
So the revenue part will be difficult. In that context I found slide 8 interesting which essentially seems to state that they do not want to overly focus on high yield smaller markets (or "Niche" as they call them). Those market seem to be quite good fits for a 787.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by starlicious
... In that context I found slide 8 interesting which essentially seems to state that they do not want to overly focus on high yield smaller markets (or "Niche" as they call them). Those market seem to be quite good fits for a 787.
That's what I thought too. High yiels, small market seems to be quite attractive for other airlines.
They are still trying to chase the murmaid customer ? (which doesn't exist...)
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
It´s always nice getting up in the morning and reading your positive predictions for the future of mankind.
Unfortunately for Skytrax and Malaysian Airlines the futuristic dystopia is already reality.

I had to fly MH a few times in coach and the experience for someone condemned to fly SQ a lot is absolutely surreal. The plane and the uniforms look akin SQ's with an NTSC colour-shift of sorts. So you are misled that you meet the usual arrogant, fast, and efficient SQ staff ... and only the first feature materializes.

MH likely has an unlimited supply of FAs in KUL, so on the 737 about 9 aggregated in the front galley for the short hop. They were discussing personal stuff as they could not be bothered to turn around for the pax who swarmed into the plane. Pax had to squeeze past the flock of FAs who very professionally did not react to the occasional bump.

The pilot then finds a way to spend 90 minutes (!!!) in the air to reach SIN. 90 minutes during which not a single one of those FA decorations shows up in the coach cabin.
Maybe they are needed for the weight balance on the 737?

MH installed a fancy looking IFE on those short haul planes. It must be connected to some sort of power sources as it occasionally flashed up to show a welcome screen. Which then rapidly disappeared when I pushed a selection key.

That was very similar for all 6 segments ... except that ex SIN they always loaded less FAs. Not sure if they leave the surplus FAs in SIN or if they walk back or take the train ... doesn't take much longer after all.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 11:37 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Unfortunately for Skytrax and Malaysian Airlines the futuristic dystopia is already reality.

I had to fly MH a few times in coach and the experience for someone condemned to fly SQ a lot is absolutely surreal. The plane and the uniforms look akin SQ's with an NTSC colour-shift of sorts. So you are misled that you meet the usual arrogant, fast, and efficient SQ staff ... and only the first feature materializes.

MH likely has an unlimited supply of FAs in KUL, so on the 737 about 9 aggregated in the front galley for the short hop. They were discussing personal stuff as they could not be bothered to turn around for the pax who swarmed into the plane. Pax had to squeeze past the flock of FAs who very professionally did not react to the occasional bump.

The pilot then finds a way to spend 90 minutes (!!!) in the air to reach SIN. 90 minutes during which not a single one of those FA decorations shows up in the coach cabin.

MH installed a fancy looking IFE on those short haul planes. It must be connected to some sort of power sources as it occasionally flashed up to show a welcome screen. Which then rapidly disappeared when I pushed a selection key.

That was very similar for all 6 segments ... except that ex SIN they always loaded less FAs. Not sure if they leave the surplus FAs in SIN or if they walk back or take the train ... doesn't take much longer after all.
LOL
Old Oct 6, 2013, 11:32 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by Terbang
�� Indian Rupee, competition and macro weakness pressures India routes
Yup - they have no clue what to do about it.

Even earlier, they were mostly filling up the Y cabin and upgrading 1/3rd of it in to biz, now it must be much worse! (Except for status pax, who get to remain there, as per the "new" LH protocol)

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I sometimes wonder how they come up with such nonsense and whether they actually believe it themselves.
They must be sitting there and brainwashing themselves..

The plane and the uniforms look akin SQ's with an NTSC colour-shift of sorts. So you are misled that you meet the usual arrogant, fast, and efficient SQ staff ... and only the first feature materializes.
Love it!

Maybe they fly with an LCC ex-SIN for their off hours/days?
Old Oct 6, 2013, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire

Bit OT here but I took MH yesterday from KUL to SIN. Brand-new 737-800 with the new interior concept. Looks very high end. Great seats in Y and 2-2 layout in Business Class. Hot snack served in Biz (flight takes 40 minutes!) and the lady in row 1 didn't like the snack and got the alternative served 15 minutes into arrival. Lufti should have a look
Old Oct 7, 2013, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by SMK77
Bit OT here but I took MH yesterday from KUL to SIN. Brand-new 737-800 with the new interior concept. Looks very high end. Great seats in Y and 2-2 layout in Business Class. Hot snack served in Biz (flight takes 40 minutes!) and the lady in row 1 didn't like the snack and got the alternative served 15 minutes into arrival. Lufti should have a look
Was that the day flight?

I clocked all my evening flights and they were 90+ minutes from push back to touch down. No exception.

I take it that you were in Biz? The coach seats are unnaturally narrow and have no legroom. Worse than QF coach.

And I as I already mentioned - ZERO inflight service. None of the mannequins ever showed up in the back if the bus.

I guess that LH did watch .
Old Oct 7, 2013, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by TeflonMan
Well, this obviously refers to the loyalty stars we will be enjoying on our M&M cards from next year.
Nice!^
Old Oct 8, 2013, 1:35 am
Original Poster

I take it that you were in Biz? The coach seats are unnaturally narrow and have no legroom. Worse than QF coach.

And I as I already mentioned - ZERO inflight service. None of the mannequins ever showed up in the back if the bus.
In the absence of F, I had to settle with J. One-way booked with Avios. ^
Old Oct 9, 2013, 4:45 pm

In the absence of F, I had to settle with J. One-way booked with Avios. ^
Isn't that the single worst possible redemption route ever?

Even revenue C is cheap on that run ... and for a very good reason.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Isn't that the single worst possible redemption route ever?

Even revenue C is cheap on that run ... and for a very good reason.
I think this was next to nothing: 2,000 Avios and some cash.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I think this was next to nothing: 2,000 Avios and some cash.
I checked it out last month at 9,000 + £17, for one-way in C - which I turned down in favour of trying the overnight train (KTM's slogan "Ontime Everytime"): city centre to, well, Woodlands .
Old Oct 10, 2013, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I checked it out last month at 9,000 + £17, for one-way in C - which I turned down in favour of trying the overnight train (KTM's slogan "Ontime Everytime"): city centre to, well, Woodlands .
I stand corrected: 9.000 Avios + taxes is correct, BA is now offering Avios&Cash for partners as well:

5.000 Avios and 69.99 EUR for Cash and taxes was what I paid. For some partner flights, BA allows to replace Avios in Business Class for just 1 Cent per Avios.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:38 pm

..5.000 Avios and 69.99 EUR for Cash and taxes was what I paid. For some partner flights, BA allows to replace Avios in Business Class for just 1 Cent per Avios.
Wise move. Given how subpar MH was compared to any LCC I ever rode, this was money well spent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.