Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dogs allowed in the First Class Terminal. Seriously?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2013, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by weero
Nah you just construe a story that isn't there. You naturally have a right of your opinion but this is not what you did. You excused me of a bad experience, an experience I never mentioned or alluded to. It is up to you to support such a claim to avoid my just accusation that you are trapped in your confines without being able to break out.
My original statement:
Originally Posted by gooselee
Perhaps you had a particularly bad experience in the past, but I think if you gave them a chance, you'd find many other pet owners (and people in general) far more understanding and considerate of others than what your post leads me to believe about you.
You'll note the "perhaps" in there right at the opening, which is my acknowledgement that I know nothing of your experiences, and then my opinion, which is that pet owners tend to be rather understanding and considerate people. No construction of a story about you in there, just a curiosity about where your opinions came from.

In my general understanding of human nature, I've found that when an individual holds such strong opinions as the negative ones you generally have of pet owners, they are usually have some basis in past experience. If you have formed these opinions devoid of a past experience, then I would love to know upon what basis you are making these claims and illustrations of pet owners or "animal lovers":
That is the very problem with animal lovers, they just cannot fathom it.

The threshold for "well behaved" is MUCH higher for the animal lover than for the average person and hence not a standard at all.

You don't interact with a human, you interact with an animal lover, this can per definition not happen on "common sense" because one sees a filthy drooling slug which wants to infect all food in the room and the other one believes he's giving the returned Messiah a walk through his lowly Earthy realms. Turning away his son-of god-on-a-leash at the lounge will only strengthen his belligerent spirits.
Next:
It is up to you to support such a claim to avoid my just accusation that you are trapped in your confines without being able to break out.
My opinions and claims, as I've stated in this thread, are based completely in the words you have chosen to post here. As I do not feel that my posts represent being "trapped in [my] confines" in any way, I'm rather comfortable with you continuing to spew your ungrounded accusation.

I wonder, actually, if you know whether or not I have pets myself, and if so, if I have ever chosen to travel with them. I'd be curious as to what you believe about me, and on what grounds you have formed those beliefs.

Then:
But I did not have the courage to vandalize it
Again, just my opinion, but I don't usually feel that acts of vandalism are equated with courage.

Finally:
Originally Posted by sp4294
Clearly you have not had a discussion with weero before. In any such discussion, work from the basis that there is no alternative viewpoint
Clearly I have not. But I am quite enjoying this exercise in extemporaneous debate. His/her rebuttals have been quite interesting and unexpected.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by sp4294
..Clearly, this discussion mirrors the differing valuation of animals: some see chattel to be housed in pens, while others see companions worthy of better treatment..
What a bizarre argument! If dog and cat owners cared for animals they would not have a predator as a pet. Very obviously you guys give a damn about the animals they devour. So save your "we love animals more" superiority claims for Sunday school where you might find a still uninitiated victim who believes that stuff.

I have birds as pets and hence see the "cat & dog" crowd in a different light than they see themselves. But at least I am somewhat aware of my own myopia.
Originally Posted by sokolov
..Ah, the wonderful "allergies" argument! The University of Vienna once tested their classrooms, which had never seen a single cat, for cat cells, and they found plenty of them. So there will be dog cells in the air if the person at the next table has a dog, whether the dog is under their table or not. Same for cats.
Cells??? There is not one insanity under the sun which isn't supported by some quick-and-dirty science out there. After all even the most nonsensical hogwash can be published if the crap collected has been fed to a mass spectrometer at some stage.

Unlike measurements of "carbon atoms from doggies" animal fur allergies are real and hence it makes a lot of sense of transport domestic animals in their traveling containers on a plane.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Unlike measurements of "carbon atoms from doggies" animal fur allergies are real and hence it makes a lot of sense of transport domestic animals in their traveling containers on a plane.
It's not the animal fur people are allergic to, actually. It's the dander, a protein present in the animal saliva. I should think that if, like me, you are allergic, you would know that. Of course, I have found that, after a lifetime of sharing my home with cats and dogs, I have more or less overcome my allergies (with the help of Flonase).
Old Aug 26, 2013, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
..You'll note the "perhaps" in there right at the opening, which is my acknowledgement that I know nothing of your experiences..
I can accept that. But it doesn't change the fact that it still looks as if you tried to construct an ad hominem rather than staying on subject.
..and then my opinion, which is that pet owners tend to be rather understanding and considerate people. No construction of a story about you in there, just a curiosity about where your opinions came from.
But that is a vain question - first I haven't offered a opinion on the matter other than the viewpoint that enforcing rules helps. And second I have explicitly stated where my views on animal owners comes from. Not that it is relevant in any matter but it's right there in this very thread.
In my general understanding of human nature, I've found that when an individual holds such strong opinions as the negative ones you generally have of pet owners, they are usually have some basis in past experience.
If you read that thread again at face value, this ought to strike you as a very odd remark. My stereotypical views of pet owners comes from the fact that I am pet owner. And I always learn the hard way that other people don't see my darlings the way I do.
As I do not feel that my posts represent being "trapped in [my] confines" in any way, I'm rather comfortable with you continuing to spew your ungrounded accusation.
They are not unfounded, I gave you my reasoning right there.
I wonder, actually, if you know whether or not I have pets myself, and if so, if I have ever chosen to travel with them. I'd be curious as to what you believe about me, and on what grounds you have formed those beliefs.
I hold no such opinion. The personality of a poster i strongly disconnected from the apparent validity of their arguments and that is a good thing.
Again, just my opinion, but I don't usually feel that acts of vandalism are equated with courage
That is a strong generalization but still in the end what kept me from dealing rogue justice: I could not clearly enough associate the relationship of the painting with the perpetrator lady. Clearly she deserved some harsh punishment for her deeds but I found it difficult to hold the painting accountable. Much alike I find it difficult to hold a pet or child accountable for the ways they get abused by their owners.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
I was on a chartered flight for an event once where the CEOs brought their trophy wives and dogs. Two Large dogs (1 Golden Retriever & 1 Rotti) boarded without any issue. They smelled each other briefly, tail and nub wagging, and then two little arm/lap/purse dogs got on and proceeding to try to have a fight club in the aisle. Both larger dogs looked at them for a moment and did a metaphorical eye roll before putting their heads back to the windows. Made me laugh.

Originally Posted by gum
Really great terminolgy "trophy wives and dogs".
+1.

Having said that, I don't know why most airlines won't allow my parakeets inside the cabin, let alone let them flying around once at altitude ... because if I look very deep in their eyes, I am sure there is a person in there, somewhere.
Maybe you can then approach LH to allow you to bring your parakeet in the cabin next time as an emotional support bird!

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I´ll never understand why pax should put up with pets in the cabin (or a lounge) when they can be transported in the cargo hold.
The reason probably is that I have seen many a passenger weeping at baggage claim at the expiration of a pet after delivery of the pet's container/cage...

Originally Posted by DC777Fan
So could passengers, for that matter, but most of us care for our dogs too much to treat them like freight.

I really don't see the issue...

-If it's in F, you should have enough personal space to where it doesn't affect you in the slightest (assuming it's well-behaved).

-If it's in C/Y, just ring the call button and say you don't like/are allergic to/cook and serve/etc dogs and they'll re-seat you most likely and somebody who has bigger problems to deal with will take your seat. Somebody might even prefer the company of a dog...

-The FCT is huge. Unless they're allowing the dog to walk along the table and sample the buffet, why can't you just sit somewhere else if you see a dog, or if they come sit near you, politely ask them to find other seats because you don't like/are allergic to/cook and serve/etc dogs? Basic human interaction isn't difficult...
I would agree with only in F, not C or Y.

Do you ride Y often? My last 4 coach longhauls were all >100% full. Upon boarding competed, several passengers asked to be reseated for all kind of reasons. In all of the a cases the FAs promised to "look at it after take off" and in none of the cases anyone was reseated.
Don't you love LH?

Originally Posted by HadesNL
I think because a dog is a living sentient being it should receive a humane way to travel... If it's not the general consensus then i will vote to checkin people who wear flipflops and walk barefooted in F and like to touch everything with their feet also to be checked in.... The same could be said for babies who make noise and stench pollution and are wearing unhygenic diapers .... Should we check those in ....

Aslong as the owner of the pet is considerate and makes it behave i don't think there should be a reason to complain
+1. The characters who put up their bare feet on the bulkheads are ones to bar entry to on board...

Originally Posted by TPA us ff
Yes, we are always welcomed in the FCT on our way to/from international dog shows. The staff recently even asked to pose with our European champion...But, the FCT staff told me, "We are Germans and love dogs." And yes, they do.
Glad to hear this!
Old Aug 26, 2013, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by seat 1a
This should be no problem what so ever on LH or LX , just search their website.
As long as dog and carrier is below 10 Kg and no other dogs are already booked in your section of the cabin.
Anybody actually have any experience with this on LH. I travel a lot (mostly Int'l F) and would get a small dog in an instant if it could travel with me (especially if the FAs weren't too picky about the dog staying in the cage/container). Unfortunately most airlines don't allow pets in the international F because of the lack of storage space under the seat.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by 5khours
Anybody actually have any experience with this on LH. I travel a lot (mostly Int'l F) and would get a small dog in an instant if it could travel with me (especially if the FAs weren't too picky about the dog staying in the cage/container). Unfortunately most airlines don't allow pets in the international F because of the lack of storage space under the seat.
I had a dog in the F seat next to me some time ago.
I believe it slept quite well during our flight to the US!
(I posted it in one of the dogs in F threads)
Old Aug 26, 2013, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by Rambuster
I had a dog in the F seat next to me some time ago.
I believe it slept quite well during our flight to the US!
(I posted it in one of the dogs in F threads)
Breed?
Old Aug 26, 2013, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
And second I have explicitly stated where my views on animal owners comes from. Not that it is relevant in any matter but it's right there in this very thread.

But that is a vain question - first I haven't offered a opinion on the matter other than the viewpoint that enforcing rules helps. And second I have explicitly stated where my views on animal owners comes from. Not that it is relevant in any matter but it's right there in this very thread.

If you read that thread again at face value, this ought to strike you as a very odd remark. My stereotypical views of pet owners comes from the fact that I am pet owner. And I always learn the hard way that other people don't see my darlings the way I do.
Please help me understand. You are using your own experience as a pet owner as a basis for your earlier posts about:
a) Pet owners being unable to fathom issues with their pets,
b) pet owners having a much higher threshold than the average person for the boundary between good and bad behavior, and
c) the idea that pet owners are not human, thus by definition do not have common sense, and believe their pet is the "son-of god-on-a-leash".

So...if this is how you stereotypically percieve pet owners, and you are a pet owner, and this perceptions comes from your own experience as a pet owner...this is how you perceive yourself?

If this comes across as an ad hominem argument, I do hope you'll consider that in the very post of yours that I am referencing, you do make some very strong statements characterizing the qualities and beliefs of those who own pets. As I tend to NOT characterize pet owners in the ways above, by disagreeing with you, I am actually trying to paint you in a somewhat more positive light, being that you are, in fact, a pet owner.

Moreover, I'm just trying to understand the full thought process admittedly subjective arguments. As such, understanding the basis upon which our opinions have been formed seems relevant. Referencing your past experiences was not an attack on your personal character, but rather an interest or exploration into the factors underlying the conclusion that you came to reach.

I'll offer my own as an example. My opinion is that pet owners and animal lovers are fully able to fathom issues with their pets. I agree that we may have a higher threshold for pet behavior than non-pet owners. I believe that pet owners are still human beings with common sense. And, I do not believe that either of my pets are spiritual beings in any sense.

How did I come to these conclusions? From my own experiences:
1) As a pet owner, I will not travel by air with my pets because I do not want them to ride in the cargo hold. I will not take them into general passenger areas because they are rescue animals and their behavior in unfamiliar places, which I understand as their owner, can be erratic and perhaps uncomfortable to others. I understand the issues my pets may present to others, and I adjust my own behavior accordingly.
2) I know many other pet owners who take the same approach to traveling with their pets as I do. I know many pet owners who do travel with their pets as well, but they seem to be far outnumbered, at least within the population of people I know.
3) I am a pet owner, and last time I checked, I am a human being. I can say without hesitation that I do not believe any of my pets are spiritual entities in any way. I feel like I do have common sense, though I'll admit, I may not be an authority on that.

It seems to me that presenting those experiences that have informed my opinion helps to enrich our discourse, and not distract from it.

Finally, I 100% agree that rules should be adhered to. Quickly scanning back upthread, I didn't see, and I'm not personally familiar, with what the specific rules are regarding pets in the LH FCT or lounges. If there are rules in place, certainly they should be followed. But this thread quickly took the direction not as to the enforcement of the rules, but rather what those rules ought to be.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Breed?
I think it was one of those Paris Hilton Handbag dogs, perhaps a little larger.
Could have been used nicely for a Chinese soup!
Old Aug 26, 2013, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by 5khours
Yes , many times on both LH and LX F , very easy . Have to keep it in the travel bag though.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 4:08 pm

@weero & gooselee

The rule is that dogs are allowed on board and in FCT .
So as entertaining as you guys might be , a lot of words about nothing
Old Aug 26, 2013, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@weero & gooselee

The rule is that dogs are allowed on board and in FCT .
Thank you for posting the rule.

As for the bolded part, I aim to please.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Yes , many times on both LH and LX F , very easy . Have to keep it in the travel bag though.
Where does the travel bag go during take off and landing?
Old Aug 26, 2013, 7:13 pm

..The rule is that dogs are allowed on board and in FCT .
I believe that you fell victim to your own need of interpretation.

None of us has disputed that pets are allowed on board or that they should not be allowed on board. The question is in what form they ought to be allowed to travel.

And the fact that some people set their beast free in the aircraft doesn't make it rule compliant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.