Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avis offer: 3h 99€ Porsche rentals for HON/F pax in FRA & MUC

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2013, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N1003U
I have been a long time Avis customer, and I know they are pretty strict with usage terms. (Which as TRAVELSIG alludes, is however not necessarily a practical limitation...)

On the other hand, as Circumknowitall points out, the Nordschleife does seem to be carved out for special treatment in the law and seems to be a gray area where it is not considered for legal purposes a Rennstrecke. I see the fingerprints of the ADAC there...@:-)

Back to your point, htb, if there were an unfortunate incident, the intent of the contract seems rather clear, and I personally would not like to go through the challenge of getting a clear definition in the German legal system, when significant mechanical and/or personal damages are at stake.

I suppose anyway for one or two laps in Nürburg, where I am not at all familiar with the course, I would probably be better off with a more user-friendly vehicle, such as an M3, which would not be as thrilling in the straights, but is much more forgiving at handling limits and gives a bit of warning during advanced maneuvers before the poles exit the unit circle...

Even advanced stability control systems are limited by the effectiveness of sensors, the laws of physics, and most significantly the capabilities of the idiot behind the steering wheel.
I completely agree with you.

A good way to spend a day at the track if you really want to test out some cars (and also learn a little bit) is to spend the money for the Ferrari Challenge (there is also a similar Lamborghini event at Nürburg).
Old Jul 18, 2013, 1:50 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
I would never take a rental onto a track anyway... the maintenance and condition of the vehicles is not exactly stellar...@:-)
Old Jul 18, 2013, 2:41 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
A good way to spend a day at the track if you really want to test out some cars (and also learn a little bit) is to spend the money for the Ferrari Challenge (there is also a similar Lamborghini event at Nürburg).
Yet another good suggestion for spending a day with a long layover...

Interesting thoughts from all here.

It is nice to know that there are options near FRA to go for a nice, aggressive drive to focus the mind, stimulate the circulation, and maybe work out a few frustrations...

The discussion here makes it tempting to deliberately plan an early morning arrival at the FCT and an evening departure--a morning shower to wake up, change into play clothes, a fun day on the road/track, then a nice bath to soak sore joints (from all that aggressive steering and footwork), perhaps a nice cigar before dinner and boarding, and the opportunity for TWO duckies without looking too much like a grubbing maximizer!

And certainly don't tell the client how much fun you had while traveling to their location...
Old Jul 18, 2013, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N1003U
Yet another good suggestion for spending a day with a long layover...

Interesting thoughts from all here.

It is nice to know that there are options near FRA to go for a nice, aggressive drive to focus the mind, stimulate the circulation, and maybe work out a few frustrations...

The discussion here makes it tempting to deliberately plan an early morning arrival at the FCT and an evening departure--a morning shower to wake up, change into play clothes, a fun day on the road/track, then a nice bath to soak sore joints (from all that aggressive steering and footwork), perhaps a nice cigar before dinner and boarding, and the opportunity for TWO duckies without looking too much like a grubbing maximizer!

And certainly don't tell the client how much fun you had while traveling to their location...
Always a few good options to be had in Germany with a day stopover- I also like to arrive in the morning during the Frankfurt auto show, go visit for the day, and then come back in time for the evening flights to Asia for example. In Munich there is always the Oktoberfest however then no guarantees you will make your flight.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 4:25 am

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
I suppose many here have driven fast cars on a tracks. To those who may not have had the opportunity yet, I will say that it's not a lot of fun getting into an unfamiliar car with a high power/weight ratio on a difficult track, like the Nordschleife all alone... On a different track, I'd say go for it, but for the Green Hell (will the 2nd word be censored?) you can experience it with many lightweight cars that won't get you up to dangerous speeds so quickly.

I've had fun both on tracks with the manufacturer's cars at track events and a lot of fun on Alpine public roads south of Munich with rentals. 5.1kg/kW and 309kW works well for in town, around mountains or track. All others get a GT-R

Some track events will nanny you through boring exercises, but being on your own without a similar car to follow (to see brake points) and with others trying to pass you on the first few laps of the 'ring isn't as much fun as a good mountain drive.

But then again I'm sure there are many who know driving skill and experience mean nothing when you get a shiny new mid/rear-engine 400-600HP car that you've never driven before.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 6:21 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
Just did it Tuesday. On holiday so I'll report back in full when I return, but here are a few points:

Did require two cards. Gave Amex plat and visa sig

Signed something requiring I wouldn't go on a track...

He kept telling me I'd pay for fuel at the end, but in the end he agreed it was included; said he hadn't rented this offer before.

I did 145km in about 90 min.

Went south on a3 found a perfect rest stop and turned around only to be stuck on traffic for 25 min form a wrecked truck.

I hit 220kph, not crazy, but still fun. Curves and other cars got in my way.

Overall was enjoyable. I'll be back in about ten days with a full report.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 7:39 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by dre_techie
But then again I'm sure there are many who know driving skill and experience mean nothing when you get a shiny new mid/rear-engine 400-600HP car that you've never driven before.
Exactly.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 2:50 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rivlinm
I hit 220kph, not crazy, but still fun. Curves and other cars got in my way.
I did 220kph in a BMW 5 years ago; that was as fast as it would go.

Got close to 260kph in the 911.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ari
I did 220kph in a BMW 5 years ago; that was as fast as it would go.

Got close to 260kph in the 911.
On Hamburg-Munich I had an RS4 up to 255 km/h which made for quite a fast trip except for the frequent fuel stops
Old Jul 31, 2013, 7:56 pm

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Just booked the offer for next Saturday (still waiting for confirmation). Most important question: Do these new Avis 911 come with the sports exhaust button
Old Jul 31, 2013, 10:16 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by ngfan
Just booked the offer for next Saturday (still waiting for confirmation). Most important question: Do these new Avis 911 come with the sports exhaust button
For the uninitiated (like me) here's a quote from http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...button-do.html

The button activates the 911’s optional sport exhaust system...When flipped on, the exhaust’s sound transforms from a refined mechanical note to Hulk-smash angry with rumbling, gargles and spurts of popping on deceleration.

The exhaust echoes throughout an entire parking garage, scaring off pigeons and muting passenger conversation.
My reaction to that: seriously? I was always under the impression that noise emission laws require you to avoid all unnecessary noise...

Anyway, this button reminds me of the kids in Japan stealing motorcycles, modifying them to be extra-noisy, and then driving through the city in large groups disregarding all traffic rules. See for example here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb-CNn6rcj8

Best anecdote is the one of one gang member being interviewed when he was pushing his motorcycle back home with the engine switched off: "I wouldn't switch on the engine in my neighborhood, as it would be a big nuisance for my neighbors". Guess these guys would have liked this "sports exhaust button".

HTB.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 7:30 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
I just overnighted in FRA, onward in F - but I preferred to sleep in and do some other shopping at the terminal before the flight - then to the FCT.

Next time, maybe...
Old Aug 1, 2013, 8:34 am

The 911 they gave me had the exhaust button, which I pressed because it looked like a button I should press (like a shiny red button). However, I didn't compare the sound with and without the button pressed.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 8:13 am

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Just enjoyed the experience this morning. It's a great offer for the car guy/girl while transiting in FRA, preferably on the weekend (low traffic). The guy from California next to me at the Avis desk who received a Ford Focus became pretty jealous...

Did the Rheingau tour (stored in the Nav Sat) and it was marvelous. Two legs with autobahn (mainly with no speed limit) incl., a nice tour along the river Rhein/wine country (incl. Eltville, Oestrich-Winkel) and some very nice, empty, twisting back roads ideal for a 911. Got a nice 911 Coupé 4S with PDK in black. With sport exhaust button No boarding pass check at collection at the Avis FRA desk to prove if I was a LH F or HON pax (booked it in advance through the special website). Welcome ladies in F lounge in T1A were aware of the offer though (and ready to arrange for a last minute booking).

Two additional infos: A single Gold Card is fine for them otherwise two cc's on the driver with different providers (i.e. MC-AMEX, VISA-MC, AMEX-VISA...) necessary. For LH cc Gold Card holders with FTL status there will be confusion when using only this single cc (as the card is no more gold but silver looking). Let them call M&M CC service and have it confirmed that you hold a gold card. Signature not to use the Porsche for races, race tracks, off road tracks has to be given.

On the return, drop-off is at the FCT (and a Sixt guy will handle the return there ) Beware that the routing to the FCT might be wrong (as in my case). So don't follow the Nav Sat on return but the street signs to T1 departure level, you will see and reach the FCT on your right. I was guided to the taxi street on ground level by Sat Nav where there is no way to drop off this rental.

Just a word of friendly caution to those with little experience of high speed driving in the German autobahn environment. Don't push the pedal to the metal if you feel jetlagged or unfit. It may cost you a lot of money, many regrets or worse, yours or some other's health. You don't have to go top speed to fully enjoy a Porsche ride.

Last edited by ngfan; Aug 3, 2013 at 2:50 pm
Old Aug 4, 2013, 11:15 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Just a word of friendly caution to those with little experience of high speed driving in the German autobahn environment. Don't push the pedal to the metal if you feel jetlagged or unfit. It may cost you a lot of money, many regrets or worse, yours or some other's health. You don't have to go top speed to fully enjoy a Porsche ride.
+1 ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.