Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FTers on the (cancelled A380) LH455 20 Dec?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2012, 6:00 pm

According to Flightaware it is D-AIMI.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 6:51 pm

I am on today's 455, and I am missing my connection to CAI due to the delay. After standing in (different) lines for 4 hours, I was finally reisurred a ticket that will arrive 10 later than my original ticket with an extra connection. All the compensation i got is $15 food voucher. I am not going to fly LH any more, at least for flights originating from US.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by Momo4Ever
The same flight LH455 got already canceled on December 9, was that the same plane?
I was on the inbound LH 454 (FRA-SFO) on December 9. That flight was canceled due to snow in FRA (if we made it out 20 mins earlier, it'd be fine). We were the first one to be canceled after they closed the runway (first in line for de-ice) because the cabin crew timed out.

FRA was a total mess that day - you don't even know where they rebooking line began (it goes from Hall A, snakes around Hall B, back into Hall A). Thankfully, I rebooked myself at the FCL in B. Rebooked on the FRA-LAX B748 inaugural the next day.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 7:28 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by nov11
I was on the inbound LH 454 (FRA-SFO) on December 9. That flight was canceled due to snow in FRA (if we made it out 20 mins earlier, it'd be fine). We were the first one to be canceled after they closed the runway (first in line for de-ice) because the cabin crew timed out.

FRA was a total mess that day - you don't even know where they rebooking line began (it goes from Hall A, snakes around Hall B, back into Hall A). Thankfully, I rebooked myself at the FCL in B. Rebooked on the FRA-LAX B748 inaugural the next day.
Were you in the FCT before the FRA-LAX flight on Dec 10th? Perhaps we might have been there at the same time? I might have seen someone with a boarding pass to LAX (booked in "F") sit near me.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Quokka
..Those who called the 800 number were told by LH reps 1) "huh? What do you mean the flight is cancelled" and 2) "we aren't authorized to rebook or otherwise help you, you need to go to the ticket counters for that".
Yes, this is exactly what the SEN line told me each and every time mu feed from ZRH was canceled. Evidently updating the system s done
And those who waited in the hours long lines at the SFO ticket counters were told "we can't rebook you, you need to call the 800 number, these lines are for hotel vouchers only"
That is also the imperial standard procedure in my experience. The reservation lines take hours to recover and to be brought up to speed.
The hotel most were eventually sent to was the Marriott Santa Clara.
So they were given hotels? That is indeed not bad for LH.
Originally Posted by RTW1
That does seem to show a total incompetence... Are most now on today's flight?
Why? How is that different - other than there actually being given hotels - from any FRA irrop experience?
Originally Posted by Rambuster
From what we can read here and on vielfliegertreff.de it seems LH's handling of the situation was absolutely pathetic..
Again other than not making a "no hotel" excuse, how is that different from a FRA irrop?
Old Dec 22, 2012, 9:00 am
mxr

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by Hippo72
Are people really flying to Asia via SFO?
I will actually be flying TXL-EWR-HKG in january for my next 4/5 days stay in HKG. Although I will actually stay one day in new york.

nevertheless call me crazy since this is going to be in Y.

Earns me instant *S on UA though.

Also if you think about it its quite common to fly from the US to Asia via Europe (JFK-FRA-SIN ; HOU-DME-SIN as actual routes on SQ already)
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by mxr
..nevertheless call me crazy since this is going to be in Y.

Earns me instant *S on UA though..
I find it much more worrying that you covet UA*S than the unnecessary long flight ..... what on Earth is UA*S good for? Especially after you collected FTL and A3*G ???
Old Dec 22, 2012, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by daniellam
Were you in the FCT before the FRA-LAX flight on Dec 10th? Perhaps we might have been there at the same time? I might have seen someone with a boarding pass to LAX (booked in "F") sit near me.
I sure was at the FCT. However, there were also 3 or 4 other passengers from my SFO flight that was re-routed through LA (the 748 inaugural flight in F seems awfully empty prior to the cancellation) - according to the FA, most of the passengers on the FRA-LAX were on the cancelled FRA-SFO flight.

I was booked in "O" unfortunately.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 2:29 pm
mxr

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by weero
I find it much more worrying that you covet UA*S than the unnecessary long flight ..... what on Earth is UA*S good for? Especially after you collected FTL and A3*G ???
switching to M+ ... I figured that since I'm mostly flying semi-flex economy fares on Long Haul or discounted P fares which will earn you more miles on M+ than on M&L it makes more sense to dump all my earnings into M+

I figured that I would have easily made Premier Plat on UA this year if I wouldnt have dumped all my miles to M&M, especially with the 50% earnings on many UA fares.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
I was at SFO today and see it sitting over near the superbay hangers, I wonder how long it's going to be at SFO
Old Dec 22, 2012, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Quokka
The hotel most were eventually sent to was the Marriott Santa Clara.
Originally Posted by CAlex
That hotel is 30 miles away from SFO, and not even cheap. Were all SFO hotels full?
No, SFO area hotels were not full.

After spending far, far too long, some of the initial pax processed were sent to closer hotels. And a few of those went to the hotels and then had to come back to the airport and the lines because they weren't given proper vouchers and their hotel wouldn't check them in.

It sounded like the reason the Santa Clara Marriott was used it was because it allowed LH to handle pax en masse.

Several buses were arranged to transport pax the 30 miles from SFO to Santa Clara.

Pax were told that buses wouldn't be arranged to get them back to SFO, since people would be flying out on different flights and days, and that they should get themselves back to SFO and LH will reimburse them for the expense. Just how to accomplish that was not clearly explained. Anyone succeed?

Taxi or town cars from the hotel to SFO were running around $115.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by mxr
switching to M+ ... I figured that since I'm mostly flying semi-flex economy fares on Long Haul or discounted P fares which will earn you more miles on M+ than on M&L it makes more sense to dump all my earnings into M+
Are you certain that your P fares will earn anything on MP if you do not actually fly UA?

The main benefit of MP is E+ access and that one is crippled if you are MP*S ... only Gold and better get the access at booking time.
I figured that I would have easily made Premier Plat on UA this year if I wouldnt have dumped all my miles to M&M, especially with the 50% earnings on many UA fares.
Prem Plat is the lowest level which is somewhat meaningful on UA. I might fall back to it next year and it comes with 75% mileage bonus and free award booking and rebooking at anytime. Which I use gratuitously.

Other than that MP has numerous issues and awards are still hard to grab. I think that for maximizing the award exploit Dividend Miles or Lifemiles might be better.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 9:32 pm

Looks like LH messed up bigtime (stuff happens, that is to be expected; but not the pathetic handling by LH after the fact. I was on UA 900 on 12/21 and heard about the huge mess from the day before. We saw the big bird sitting forlonly by the hangars as we taxied out.

I tried searching for the twitter posts, but didn't get very far. Do you have a link to them and the turbulence report?

Originally Posted by 1K-SFO
Interesting reading on Twitter. At least four people tweeted about their experiences (en route to funeral in India, en route to wedding in Germany, etc.) and how they were treated. Some back-and-forth with LH PR team over Twitter. One person seems to have driven to LAX to catch next-day's LAX-FRA (leaves me wondering how come not booked onto a flight SFO-LAX).
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by cbrown5294
I was at SFO today and see it sitting over near the superbay hangers, I wonder how long it's going to be at SFO
it took off direction FRA at about 6:30pm
Old Dec 23, 2012, 1:32 am

Programs: United GS, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat
I, along with my wife and two young kids were booked on that canceled LH455 on Dec 20th in C (UA award tickets). We had a connection to BLR from FRA.

I was able to work with united 1K desk to get us rerouted to SEA that night and then SEA-BLR-FRA the next day all in C class. I am really thankful to 1K desk agent who worked really hard to get us to our destination. LH ground staff gets no credit here. They were not helpful at all.

Here is the rather strange part. We were rebooked and our tickets reissued for the new itinerary. In fact we got the boarding passes for all our flights when we checked in for our SFO-SEA flight. After spending a night in SEA (at our own dime), we showed up at SEA LH desk to check in our bags. To our shock the agent mentioned that we were standby passengers and had no seat assignments. I explained that we were already checked in and in fact had boarding passes with confirmed seat assignments. The agent said that does not count. After some anxious moments and intervention by the station manager, we were finally able to check in and get C seat assignments. Has this happened to anyone before?

While it worked out ok for us, I do feel the terrible experience of many passengers who had to wait hours to be rebooked and then deal with the cancellation logistics. (Hotels, taxis etc.)

Last edited by ssing; Dec 23, 2012 at 1:33 am Reason: Typo fixes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.