FTers on the (cancelled A380) LH455 20 Dec?

Old Dec 21, 2012, 9:36 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
To fly from SFO to Asia via FRA?
From the NE Coast of the US, it really isn't THAT much further via FRA to places like SIN, since one has to stop somewhere anyway (and especially now, since SQ is discontinuing the nonstop EWR/SIN flight). You just have to allow for the long layover in FRA (although time for some reason passes quickly for me in the FCT ).

However, I agree: even for a dedicated maximizer like me, it doesn't make much sense to travel to Asia via the EU from SFO.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 9:56 am

I'm guessing most flights are already fully booked, if not overbooked. But I hope they managed to get most people onto different flights by now. I almost changed my flight date to yesterday, and now I'm really glad that I didn't.

LH 454 finally left FRA so I'm hoping I get out of SFO tonight on 455. Still wondering what the delay was in FRA.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:20 am

Programs: LH SEN, OW Emerald, AF/KL Gold, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver
As of 9am PST today the 380 is still parked close to the United hangars.
Yesterday was the worst mess I have ever experienced. First LH announced a delay of an hour, then the flight was postponed until 8pm. Around 5pm they finally canceled the flight.
The local team was completely clueless. The toll-free number they handed out for rebookings didn't work. Finally I got to the Senator line and they rebooked me for Sunday 23d. The earliest available seat in Y
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:28 am
Original Poster

The A380 load of pax at the gate were told the flight wasn't happening and to go to the LH ticket counters or call the LH US 800 phone number ...

Those who called the 800 number were told by LH reps 1) "huh? What do you mean the flight is cancelled" and 2) "we aren't authorized to rebook or otherwise help you, you need to go to the ticket counters for that".

And those who waited in the hours long lines at the SFO ticket counters were told "we can't rebook you, you need to call the 800 number, these lines are for hotel vouchers only"

It was heartbreaking to see one very elderly and frail looking couple trying to stand in the lines. They looked absolutely bewildered, scared even. They probably should have been in wheelchairs. A young American woman finally took out her cell phone, discreetly snapped some fotos of them in the horrendous line, walked over to a LH rep, snapped his picture, and told him to take care of them before she felt compelled to post the story to Twitter, FB, etc, etc. I don't know how that eventually ended since I was headed to talk to UA.

The hotel most were eventually sent to was the Marriott Santa Clara.

Last edited by Quokka; Dec 21, 2012 at 12:03 pm
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:31 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

So far this all seem to be lacking any details... I'm sure that rebookings during the holiday season won't be easy. But it would be nice to get some facts how it's actually has been handled.

And that people are upset about the delay is only to be expected, just as the sob stories are about missing a wedding or something simular. I expect most people choose that flight to get to FRA today....

So what did LH do?

Edit: just answered above while typing.

Last edited by RTW1; Dec 21, 2012 at 11:43 am
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
So what did LH do?
See above from QUOKKA. I can confirm with first hand experience
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:42 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

That does seem to show a total incompetence... Are most now on today's flight?
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:59 am

The C and F passengers might have been lucky, I am less hopefull for the 420 in Y
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:22 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Yes, I just saw your post that the first availability is Dec 23rd.... That's bad.

And not to diminish the lack of competence in rebooking, but that would probably have been a nightmare anyway during this period. Not much spare capacity anywhere I would guess.

I hope the rest of your trip will be better.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Quokka
It was heartbreaking to see one very elderly and frail looking couple trying to stand in the lines. They looked absolutely bewildered, scared even. They probably should have been in wheelchairs. A young American woman finally took out her cell phone, discreetly snapped some fotos of them in the horrendous line, walked over to a LH rep, snapped his picture, and told him to take care of them before she felt compelled to post the story to Twitter, FB, etc, etc. I don't know how that eventually ended since I was headed to talk to UA.
Glad to read there are such people, despite the described unfortunate events.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 1:35 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
Originally Posted by Quokka
The hotel most were eventually sent to was the Marriott Santa Clara.
That hotel is 30 miles away from SFO, and not even cheap. Were all SFO hotels full?
Old Dec 21, 2012, 2:29 pm

Not to my knowledge, I was placed into the Homewood Suites / Hilton in Brisbane just a few miles north of the airport.

Last edited by Momo4Ever; Dec 21, 2012 at 2:40 pm
Old Dec 21, 2012, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
From what we can read here and on vielfliegertreff.de it seems LH's handling of the situation was absolutely pathetic.

Additionally, I don't buy the "turbulence" story. I guess there is something else wrong with this bird?
Old Dec 21, 2012, 5:03 pm

The bird is currently still sitting here in the rain at SFO. I am not seeing any work being done to it.

The check-in counters are way understaffed right now. LH called earlier today that people need to be checked in by 5PM, and right now there is only one business/ first check-in counter open with agents running around like chickens with their head cut off. Took me almost an hour to get checked in. I did get a $40 food voucher though, can't complain there.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Rambuster
From what we can read here and on vielfliegertreff.de it seems LH's handling of the situation was absolutely pathetic.

Additionally, I don't buy the "turbulence" story. I guess there is something else wrong with this bird?
Does anybody know the registration of this bird? Is it one of the early A380s which require the announced "wing" upgrade by Airbus?
The same flight LH455 got already canceled on December 9, was that the same plane?
Yesterday the flight from Europe arrived on time, LH were inspecting the airplane for almost 3 hours before the flight was canceled. Is there something more serious going on in the background or was the flight canceled for commercial reasons (time limits by EU laws before higher compensation kicks in)?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.