Does Lufthansa ever offer compensation?

Old Sep 17, 2012, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by weero
F is always full.
Not according to the F flights I have taken, or the many LH trip reports I have read.

Originally Posted by Vuzuggu
flight attendant grabbed my drink mid sip.
Hyperbole like this makes me wonder what other things you are embellishing, and makes me question just how truthful your post is.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 4:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by will2288
Hyperbole like this makes me wonder what other things you are embellishing, and makes me question just how truthful your post is.
Absolutely 100% true. The glass was touching my lips when she took it. It was the PDB and we had just been pushed back from the gate and the tug was still attached. I am not sure what Lufthansa policy but I have been able to keep the drink well beyond that stage on other airlines.

I sent Lufthansa a detailed letter with names of the staff involved. I did include praise for the Manager of the Lufthansa Lounge in Washington and the both lounges in Frankfurt A area. They were brilliant.

Maybe my expectations were too high for Lufthansa, but I think not. I was not expecting them to be as good as Singapore or Virgin First class but I expected it to beat my United BusinessFirst (Business Class) and Aer Lingus Business Class experience and to be blunt it fell quite a way short.

I am 19 so not your typical first class customer and I have had experience of people double checking I am in the right cabin and never have a problem with that. However, a flight attendant shouting to the other asking should he be in here, causing the rest of the cabin to look at me is a disgrace in my book. It could have been done quietly and sorted out just as quickly.

I didn't complain in the letter about PJ there just an after thought, didn't realise they weren't meant to match, which I think is a bit strange. Also, something I didn't complain about as I presume it is because they cater more for the German speakers (understandably) but I thought the IFE selection was very poor.

Overall, I wasn't amazed with the experience, but I am hoping it was down to the crew having an off day. Normally I would expect a goodwill gesture to entice me to book another flight with Lufthansa to see the real experience but maybe I was expecting too much. I'll have to look for other options for my flights to China then.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
OP - did you think about DOT or the German counterpart complaint?

Originally Posted by oliver2002
A fellow FTer just got 150$ vouchers handed to him and his companion inflight because the audio on a transcon overhead CRT IFE was not working
BTW - I got the same amount for a malfunction IFE on a UA TALT flights. The good news I was able to sleep most of the flights (but I guess sleeping was the only thing I can do, isn't it )
Old Sep 17, 2012, 4:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
OP - did you think about DOT or the German counterpart complaint?
Not really, I wrote to Lufthansa to let them know I was disappointed and pin pointed why I was disappointed and what they should try to improve.

I would of expected some compensation to entice me to book another flight with Lufthansa (I did mention in the letter this was my first time flying with Lufthansa and I took the strange routing instead of direct flight to test out LH as I was thinking of using them to China).

Now, I think Ill just vote with my feet and fly Turkish to China.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 5:13 am

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
I got a letter which just about apologies but offered no compensation! Is that normal for Lufthansa?
Yes, I think this is normal for a lot of airlines. In your position it may be better to be proactive and ask.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 8:05 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Absolutely 100% true. The glass was touching my lips when she took it.
It's always difficult to judge what really happened in these situations because we weren't there when it happened..... but I'm really having a hard time believing that an FA will grab a glass you are still holding (or are drinking from) without any previous interaction. Normal behavior is at least a question if it's ok to take it, or a statement that they have to take it before take-off starts.

The only conclusion that I can draw that you and the crew got of to a bad start and that things got worse from there. Not very professional from the crew, but you probably didn't do much either to improve matters.

Without knowing you or what really happened my first impression when reading your post was: "Another award flyer who thinks that when flying F the world should treat him like a king, when in reality he didn't spend a dime to obtain those miles except applying for a few credit cards. And is now complaining about insignificant things in the hope of getting some monetary compensation to maximize his free ticket". And although I could be completely wrong (and my assumptions are not very "professional" either, I'm only human...) it's those first impressions that sometimes set the mood for everything to come. Something similar probably happened on your flight.

Complaining about a broken seat is best done in the air when you could probably have switched to another seat. These things do sometimes happen, it was probably another passenger that broke it. What would you have really preferred, a working seat or some miles a few weeks after the fact?

And I know from experience that when you set your expectations high and they are not met. Even the most insignificant things, that normally would go unnoticed, now become confirmation of all that's bad. Like the PJ's and the content of the IFE....

Last edited by RTW1; Sep 17, 2012 at 8:38 am
Old Sep 17, 2012, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RTW1
It's always difficult to judge what really happened in these situations because we weren't there when it happened..... but I'm really having a hard time believing that an FA will grab a glass you are still holding (or are drinking from) without any previous interaction. Normal behavior is at least a question if it's ok to take it, or a statement that they have to take it before take-off starts.

The only conclusion that I can draw that you and the crew got of to a bad start and that things got worse from there. Not very professional from the crew, but you probably didn't do much either to improve matters.

Without knowing you or what really happened my first impression when reading your post was: "Another award flyer who thinks that when flying F the world should treat him like a king, when in reality he didn't spend a dime to obtain those miles except applying for a few credit cards. And is now complaining about insignificant things in the hope of getting some monetary compensation to maximize his free ticket". And although I could be completely wrong (and my assumptions are not very "professional" either...) it's those first impressions that sometimes set the mood for everything to come. Something similar probably happened on your flight.

Complaining about a broken seat is best done in the air when you could probably have switched to another seat. These things do sometimes happen, it was probably another passenger that broke it. What would you have really preferred, a working seat or some miles a few weeks after the fact?

And I know from experience that when you set your expectations high and they are not met. Even the most insignificant things, that normally would go unnoticed, now become confirmation of all that's bad. Like the PJ's and the content of the IFE....
I most definitely did not expect to be treated like a king and I was pleasant to the staff. I have often said I find some of the people in Business/First rude not acknowledging the staff when they serve food etc. In fact, the only thing I could be blamed for is maybe being too polite.

Even when the air hostess took my drink, I was pleasant and didn't mention the fact it was rude. When they shouted asking if I was meant to be here I did not complain. The PJ and IFE are very minor complaints and I didn't complain to Lufthansa about them. I sent them a letter detailing everything because I believe Lufthansa should know where they need to improve.

I would have much preferred a working seat so I could have rested instead of a few thousand miles. I was just curious to see if it was normal not to receive any compensation. If I had received say a 200 evoucher, I would have booked First Class to China for 6,500. Instead, I am probably going to go with BA.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 3:13 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Silver, HON, EK Gold
The only time I've ever received cash compensation from LH was for involuntary downgrade F-J and that was hard cash in an envelope. To be honest, the average F passenger isn't going to be overwhelmed by a Eur200 voucher.

As for F being full, I've flown F about a dozen times over the last year (TATL and Eur-Far East) and F has only been full once (HKG-FRA just before Christmas) so you were doubly unlucky.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Maigret
The only time I've ever received cash compensation from LH was for involuntary downgrade F-J and that was hard cash in an envelope. To be honest, the average F passenger isn't going to be overwhelmed by a Eur200 voucher.

As for F being full, I've flown F about a dozen times over the last year (TATL and Eur-Far East) and F has only been full once (HKG-FRA just before Christmas) so you were doubly unlucky.
Strange.
Was it a paid ticket?
INVOL downgrade F to J is 4500 EUR MCO plus fare difference.
I received it once on an equipment swap ORD-FRA. The plane they sent was a 2 class due to a mechanical problem. I could have waited for the MUC flight but I really needed to get to Europe for a meeting.
Fare difference refunded to our T Agency. 4500 EUR MCO to me- I gave it to one of our employees for vacation and they were very happy !
Old Sep 18, 2012, 1:20 pm

I flew Washington to Frankfurt Lufthansa First Class, Frankfurt to Copenhagen Lufthansa Business and Copenhagen to Dublin on SAS Business.

On the Washington leg it was a massive let down. Lounge Staff on their personal phone being rude, flight attendant shouting to another is this guy meant to be here in the first class cabin, seat was broken, flight attendant grabbed my drink mid sip. Even things such as PJ weren't matching just was not first class at all. Then 2 out of 3 bags were broken when arriving in Dublin.

I got a letter which just about apologies but offered no compensation! Is that normal for Lufthansa?
I'm having my doubts that it was not LH that is at fault with most of this.....

A crew member would never take a drink away "mid-sip".

The bags you may have a claim for, and perhaps the seat....but if you approach this with an attitude....good luck, you won't get anything.

But I have a sense that there was a bit of DYKWIA coming from OP.

PJ's not matching? they never have, they're coordinated.

A big big big
Old Sep 18, 2012, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by RTW1

Without knowing you or what really happened my first impression when reading your post was: "Another award flyer who thinks that when flying F the world should treat him like a king, when in reality he didn't spend a dime to obtain those miles except applying for a few credit cards. And is now complaining about insignificant things in the hope of getting some monetary compensation to maximize his free ticket". And although I could be completely wrong (and my assumptions are not very "professional" either, I'm only human...) it's those first impressions that sometimes set the mood for everything to come. Something similar probably happened on your flight.

+1,000,000
Old Sep 18, 2012, 2:08 pm

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
Does Lufthansa ever offer compensation?

So... crews vary greatly.

I took an A380 flight in F into FRA today, young crew, very nice. Now I just boarded FRA-BKK and it took the first of the two FAs about 10 minutes to say hello to me. 8/8 F, but I wonder whether all of us are HON.

You crew on the 380 knew my name instantly and were just great bar none.

Not yet offered PJs, but by the looks on them... just express their dislike of being here, hopefully it inproves. I'll continue ignoring these and be pleasant as they do their jobs.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 3:56 pm

Programs: LX/LH SENATOR AF/KL FLYING BLUE GOLD
The glass was touching my lips when she took it. It was the PDB and we had just been pushed back from the gate and the tug was still attached. I am not sure what Lufthansa policy but I have been able to keep the drink well beyond that stage on other airlines.
I know that Lufthansa policy is to collect all glasses in business and first class as soon as the plane is moving (for safety reasons i guess). Some crew are very strict with this procedure, some are not. It surprised me at the beginning but now I got accustomed to it. They usually politely tell you to either finnish it or give it back half full. Hard to believe they grab it as it was touching your lips though...
Swiss has the same procedure
Old Sep 19, 2012, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by denhaagflyer
(that was complaint about the AMS out-station and the fact that they always over-rode the blocked middle seat in Y).
They still do sometimes...
Old Sep 19, 2012, 3:20 am

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by milesfixed
The glass was touching my lips when she took it. It was the PDB and we had just been pushed back from the gate and the tug was still attached. I am not sure what Lufthansa policy but I have been able to keep the drink well beyond that stage on other airlines.
I know that Lufthansa policy is to collect all glasses in business and first class as soon as the plane is moving (for safety reasons i guess). Some crew are very strict with this procedure, some are not. It surprised me at the beginning but now I got accustomed to it. They usually politely tell you to either finnish it or give it back half full. Hard to believe they grab it as it was touching your lips though...
Swiss has the same procedure
Well, if imbecility reigns instead of the pragmatism of allowing a pax in the highest CoS to finish his drink they most certainly don't deserve the OP's money.

We're not talking AA, being nearly arrested for ordering orange juice at the wrong time...

On a personal note, I arrived BKK, ground services were superb. I was one of 2 HON in F, cabin was full. I did not receive PJs or amenity kit until I asked the purser for some while she brought the menus. Also had to remind them that it would be nice to have hot towels before I eat the amuse bouche. Food service was nice and everything else was smooth.

I think they lucked out (or had more than enogh) with my food choices, as I was asked/served 5th...

On a separate note, the FAs were so distracted with chatter they forgot to arm the slides. Purser had to say again that "not all slides are armed". And I don't know how much room for interpretation there is on that one..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.