Status and respect? [for LH FTL*S flying SQ]

Old Sep 7, 2012, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Status and respect? [for LH FTL*S flying SQ]

Just out of curiosity, I am about to travel on a SQ flight LHR-SIN-MEL and hold the status of FQT (S). How likely are LH*S passengers ' to be upgraded ' , do they hold any sort of status with SQ and what would be the chances of changing seats at check-in for 'bulkhead' or 'preferred seats' Baiscally does LH(S) have any leverage on SQ flights?

Also how would the mileage work out for me?

Last edited by SwissFirst; Sep 7, 2012 at 1:25 pm
Old Sep 7, 2012, 1:23 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Status and respect?

Even *G have limited benefits on SQ. They have to board via the Economy lane as SQ only allows their own *G to use the priority lane.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 1:34 pm

Programs: AC E, Priority Club Plat, Hyatt Plat
IMO, respect is always expected for any pax (except trolls).

SQ FAs do good job IME in showing their respect toward pax.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Even *G have limited benefits on SQ. They have to board via the Economy lane as SQ only allows their own *G to use the priority lane.
That is not true based on my limited experience with SQ. At least in DEL, JFK and SIN, I was always able to board before Economy. However, SQ is very rigid in their process, annoucing F, PPS, Krisflyer, C pax all seperately and then *G right before Y pax.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 2:27 pm

Programs: LH SEN, AF gold, HHdiamond
agree on above neither *G have leverage to get any op up.
preferred seat selction might work sometimes but depend to check in attendant and flight loads. quite often i was able to get seat locked next to me just ask. would reccomend for you to check via web first. respect ? with SQ always.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 8:48 pm

Programs: LH Sen, PPS, FB Platinum, Enrich Silver, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
That is not entirely correct. SQ treats nonSQ *G exactly the same as they treat their own *G (like crap). Unless you are PPS (solitaire) you have no status on SQ.
S
Old Sep 8, 2012, 2:32 am
Original Poster

So as a LH(S) there are no benefits to flying SQ. So why are they so proud to fly the Star Alliance flag?!?
Old Sep 8, 2012, 2:49 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Status and respect?

*S has alliance-wide almost zero tangible benefits. LH/LX make an exception for their own *S by offering priority services and sometimes lounge-access. Other airlines have no obligation to do this too, if it isn't a published *A benefit.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 3:12 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SwissFirst
So as a LH(S) there are no benefits to flying SQ. So why are they so proud to fly the Star Alliance flag?!?
I'm not sure what you are looking for..... your title seems rather misleading.
What you probably are really looking for is the additional benefits, above the fare class you paid for, as a result of holding a (very low) status with another *A airlines frequent flyer program.

FTL that translates into *A Silver doesn't provide any real benefits on other airlines. You might fly a little more frequent than most others, but that doesn't mean that you are a customer that is very profitable for the airline. So no reason to provide a lot of extra's. Why would SQ throw money at you in extra services?

And the mileage you will earn is easily found on the SQ page at M&M. It depends on the fare class you paid for.... deeply discounted economy tickets don't earn much, and sometimes they don't earn anything.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 3:17 am

I have always found that SQ happily provides every published *A benefit for ones status level... and as a *G I have certainly been invited to board "early" with SQ in the ports from which I have flown with them...

..the problem we have here on FT is that people will not (apparently) read what these published benefits actually ARE.. (and *S gets very little on any airline as already mentioned)

... hence all these threads grumbling about upgrades (!!) and "preferred seating".. neither of which are, or have ever been, published *A status benefits.

SQ does allow one to pay $50 for an exit row seat at time of booking... which I consider pretty decent value on say SYD-SIN.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 3:26 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by SwissFirst
Just out of curiosity, I am about to travel on a SQ flight LHR-SIN-MEL and hold the status of FQT (S). How likely are LH*S passengers ' to be upgraded ' , do they hold any sort of status with SQ and what would be the chances of changing seats at check-in for 'bulkhead' or 'preferred seats' Baiscally does LH(S) have any leverage on SQ flights?

Also how would the mileage work out for me?
There is no chance you'll be upgraded. But SQ treats all passengers very well. The few upgrades I've seen are always Y-C (I have never seen a C-F upgrade) & the few times they must op up anyone from Y-C its gonna be SQ elites, not others. (PPS followed by Kflyer)
Old Sep 8, 2012, 3:34 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by trooper

... hence all these threads grumbling about upgrades (!!) and "preferred seating".. neither of which are, or have ever been, published *A status benefits.
^

I have seen too many this onboard when people get angry because of not being able to get upgraded with the cheapest ticket when travelling with another carrier... It's surprising how difficult it's understand to certain general rules like you won't be able to get upgrades with another carrier when your own carrier doesn't offer free upgrades to its elites...
Old Sep 8, 2012, 4:45 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Exactly.... How many upgrades does FTL (or even SEN) get you on LH/LX flights when flying discounted economy. With SQ count on even less....
Old Sep 8, 2012, 7:24 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Hmm this smells like another example of the "little status, big entitlement" syndrome which apparently is common for newly minted low-tier elites. Nowadays I rarely expect any form of status recognition apart from the stated perks, everything else I take as pleasant surprises.

While on the subject, aren't SQ extremely strict when it comes to op-ups. That they're rather willing to bump people off the flight rather than to give op-ups? I.e as a way to keep their premium cabins exclusive.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 8:35 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, IHG Plat., former LH HON (now Silver), Bonvoy Titanium
Just another reason to abandon *A

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.