Spoiled by first class?

Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Spoiled by first class?

My 15 year old sister and her friend is heading to Asia this summer and as always, I am the one in charge of booking their tickets. Since first class is only 10k extra miles and considering that LH biz seat on 747 is not flat, I am thinking about booking them in First. However, I feel that I would spoil them with the LH first class at such a young age . Have anyone faced this issue before?
Old Jun 26, 2012, 1:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Let's move this over to the LH forum for their thoughts.

Jenbel
Co-moderator, Communitybuzz!
Old Jun 26, 2012, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
If you have the miles to spare, then perhaps let them know about it.

Sometimes they have no idea that it was anything special, unless you tell them, or if they fly coach going out, and FC going back.

My daughter got to ride in FC about 80% of the time, and then sulked if she didn't get Biz or FC after that. Makes me wish she had just been in Y all the time.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by harry0233
My 15 year old sister and her friend is heading to Asia this summer and as always, I am the one in charge of booking their tickets. Since first class is only 10k extra miles and considering that LH biz seat on 747 is not flat, I am thinking about booking them in First. However, I feel that I would spoil them with the LH first class at such a young age . Have anyone faced this issue before?
If you are worried about spoiling them, put them in Y.

Old Jun 26, 2012, 1:38 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Which FFP's miles are you using? UA? Have you checked if F awards are actually available on LH and they are not phantom awards?
Old Jun 26, 2012, 1:48 pm

Programs: EK Platinum - SPG Platinum
First class is only 10k extra miles than Business class?
Where did you find such bargain ?
In M&M website is mention Norh America to Asia in Business 135 K and in First 210K
Old Jun 26, 2012, 5:57 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
They are fortunate... I waited until I was almost 40 to experience that.

A big part of it, for me, were the wines. Being underage, they will likely miss out on that part. Will they be able to discern the better food? I certainly couldn't at 15.

I was also more malleable at a younger age as well- a slated seat was the least of my problems.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 9:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
At 15 and traveling with a friend I think the excitement is in the trip. I'm sure Y would be fine and J would be quite an experience. As I'm sure most FT'ers will admit once you start flying J and F it's tough to go back to Y

As plemos asked above how do you manage to get F for just 10K extra miles over J?
Old Jun 26, 2012, 9:57 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
They will appreciate it and always remember their first trip in F and always think of you. I remember my first trip in F without my parents (Swissair JFK-ZRH) for my 17th birthday. A very very rich friend brought me to St Moritz to spend my birthday skiing. That was 30 years ago and I still think about it and still talk to the friend about it
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by harry0233
A lay flat seat is important for a 15 year old?? 170 degrees isn't enough?

I doubt they'll appreciate the F for the rarified air that it is....
Old Jun 27, 2012, 1:05 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
I think you should put them in Y on the way to and in C on the way back to make them appreciate the difference. But from what you write, I assume they have been sitting in C for most of their past trips? In that case putting them into "Y" will put you onto their blacklist. For their next flight. Until they realize that you are the only one who can put them into C at least one-way

The difference between C and F will not be appreciated by most 15 year olds I believe.

HTB.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

I think you should put them in Y on the way to and in C on the way back to make them appreciate the difference. But from what you write, I assume they have been sitting in C for most of their past trips? In that case putting them into "Y" will put you onto their blacklist. For their next flight. Until they realize that you are the only one who can put them into C at least one-way
They have been to Australia by coach, back when I didn't know about FT

As plemos asked above how do you manage to get F for just 10K extra miles over J?
I use UA miles. It's an one way ticket so it only cost 10k extra miles to book in F

My daughter got to ride in FC about 80% of the time, and then sulked if she didn't get Biz or FC after that. Makes me wish she had just been in Y all the time.
LOL I will take note of this

A lay flat seat is important for a 15 year old?? 170 degrees isn't enough?
haha, 170 degrees certainly is better than Y seat!

I guess J is the best choice then, so that I can fly in F and leave them in J if we happen to fly together
Old Jun 30, 2012, 7:49 am

Programs: MR Plat.
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
If you are worried about spoiling them, put them in Y.

I agree. This will teach them the valuable lesson that life is not always a bed of roses

Put them in Y in the back of an old 747 and they can have the valuable lesson, that life can be painful, as well.

I would not put my kids in first ever, though. They should earn their own money if they want to fly first. But that's just me.

Cheers,
Starlicious
Old Jul 1, 2012, 9:00 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, AF Plat, Velocity Plat, IHG RA, HHonors DIA, EC Priv Elite, Hertz Pres Circle ...
I don't think we can give you a proper answer here without knowing the circumstances. Most importantly: Does your sister care for F/Cl more than you do..?
Old Jul 3, 2012, 6:15 am

Programs: LH, SPG
If they aren't even used to flying business, there's no point in booking 1st. I remember when I switched my flying from Y to C, I couldn't have been happier. Legroom galore, great service (I thought), etc. We even did an *RTW in C. Then after a few years C got really old for me, and after a few op-ups showed me the good life I started flying F pretty much exclusively and again, I was happy. I'm now merely content with F, and if I had to fly C (or whY) I'd be annoyed. Hell, I was on an LH TATL flight the other day and they had the old F configuration, and I found myself disappointed at that; then the guy across the aisle asked me to snap a photo of him in his seat so he could make his friends jealous.

It's all relative. My point is, if they've been flying mostly Y so far, C will be a great experience and the extra benefits of F wouldn't really register. Until they had to fly business or coach again, that is.

But then again, at a 10k surcharge it sounds like a great deal to book first class.

I guess it really depends on their past experiences. My family thoroughly enjoys C, most of them haven't flown 1st class before. Even my wife likes business class (at least she says she does) when she's flying without me. When we travel together we sit together at the front of the bus.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.