Wiki Posts
Search

A380 F vs. 340 F vs. Swiss F

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2012, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA *G MM
A380 F vs. 340 F vs. Swiss F

I am flying ARN-NRT and have the option of going via MUC or FRA on LH, or LX via ZRH.

Is the A380 experience that much better than the A340? The timetable for FRA is better. I don't have to get up early in the morning to catch the MUC flight from Stockholm and I also don't arrive very early at NRT.

Currently I am booked on LX via ZRH. It also departs early from ARN like the LH flight. (It's not that early but I have a 90 minute drive to the airport.)

Which of these 3 would you chose given these parameters? I am leaning toward rebooking via MUC.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 6:46 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
I've never flown the A380, so that would be something new/exciting for me.

On the other hand - I'd favor flying through MUC over FRA.

Just between the two LH, I think I'd go with the better schedule. Can't compare with LX - never flown F with them, though I'm not a fan of the ZRH airport.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 6:59 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
My personal preferences would be (in that order)
a) fare
b) schedule
d) booking situation - I'd rather fly on a 340 with F8 than on a 380 with F1
e) airline

btw: this order would have been completely different 2 years ago...

with your choice, not knowing the booking situation of the flights I would probably take LX via ZRH.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ralfkrippner
My personal preferences would be (in that order)
a) fare
b) schedule
d) booking situation - I'd rather fly on a 340 with F8 than on a 380 with F1
e) airline

btw: this order would have been completely different 2 years ago...

with your choice, not knowing the booking situation of the flights I would probably take LX via ZRH.
Thanks.

a) is not a factor because I am using miles and therefore means d) is also an empty F cabin ~2 weeks ahead. But using your priorities then I should change to LH via MUC.

ZRH could be a bit of pain in connecting since the longhaul is a remote gate. I think that's TBD's point too.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 8:02 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by gnaget
Thanks.

a) is not a factor because I am using miles and therefore means d) is also an empty F cabin ~2 weeks ahead. But using your priorities then I should change to LH via MUC.

ZRH could be a bit of pain in connecting since the longhaul is a remote gate. I think that's TBD's point too.
Factor in that you will have F treatment, so limo transfer from the FCL in FRA to the plane, compared to walking from FCL to the gate in MUC and a shuttle bus to the E dock in ZRH.

F on the LH A380 is marginally better than on the LH A340 or LX A340.

The later departures give you a slightly better chance to sleep, the ZRH flight arrives 8 am TYO which is just about midnight european time, I find it difficult to sleep more than 2 hrs on this flight. Not much more on the FRA flight but still.

I'd prefer the FRA A380 in F for schedule, lounge/limo and for the A380 itself. Go for it.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 8:03 am
DrV

Programs: LH SEN, ICH Platinum, FB Silver
I fly to NRT often. If LH is your only choice, I'd go for the A380 for the flight to NRT and the MUC A340 for the flight back home.

The only reason I always do FRA-NRT NRT-MUC is because of arrival and transfer time. If not, I'd always take the A380.
FRA-NRT arrival to japan around 7:40h (it always arrives earlier), lots of time to transfer in FRA plus nice new lounges and separate boarding for F/C (two levels). A380 cabin nice for having a rest to arrive to Japan "fresh" and ready to work.
NRT-MUC gives time enough to arrive from tokyo to narita and enjoy the ANA lounge plus it arrives MUC fairy early in the evening, with 1,5h or 2h layover in MUC you have time for passing the security check, have a shower and take the next flight. Arrive home late and sleep

When it comes to the planes themselves:
For business class there is no big difference between both planes but the 380 cabin is more comfortable.
For economy, A380 for sure, 75B/J seats or 76A/F are the best economy seats in any LH plane.AVOID 75C/H, narrow and busy.

BTW
Ill be flying FRA-NRT this wednesday and got the 27A seat, that area is normaly unoccupied and it makes me feel I am the only one in the plane, lol. Also service starting from the back is a plus.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 8:05 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
It's a no brainer for me. LH A380 F > LH A340 F (a small chance of new F ex-MUC) > LX A340 F. If LX A330 is an option it would be a difficult choice.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
It's a no brainer for me. LH A380 F > LH A340 F (a small chance of new F ex-MUC) > LX A340 F. If LX A330 is an option it would be a difficult choice.
What's the difference between LX 340 and 330? The seatmap shows a staggered config in C class and EF shows it as 34Z. Surely it's an upgraded cabin? I am currently the only passenger in F.

I can't make use of FCL since I only have 70 minute connection. I could take an earlier flight to FRA, but that is not desirable.

Also, I don't have any appointments when I arrive at NRT, so it just makes it harder to adjust when you arrive at 8 am. Actually, if ANA had availability on their flight (including C) I would take it in a heartbeat. Staggered C from FRA, better soft product, and 15:00 arrival in TYO.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 8:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
A380 wins hands down:

Newest seat, quietest cabin, best bed, biggest video screen - go for it.

LX 340:

Swiss service, decent bed, good food, great champagne.

LH A340:

worst choice, old, outdated, shabby. No mattress, no IFE, no nothing. Avoid.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 8:32 am

What's the difference between LX 340 and 330? The seatmap shows a staggered config in C class and EF shows it as 34Z. Surely it's an upgraded cabin? I am currently the only passenger in F.

I can't make use of FCL since I only have 70 minute connection. I could take an earlier flight to FRA, but that is not desirable.

Also, I don't have any appointments when I arrive at NRT, so it just makes it harder to adjust when you arrive at 8 am. Actually, if ANA had availability on their flight (including C) I would take it in a heartbeat. Staggered C from FRA, better soft product, and 15:00 arrival in TYO.
LX A330 has the new F, A340 has the 'old' F. Still good of course - plenty of threads on the LX subforum. C is the same for LX on the A330 and A340. If your question would be about C via MUC, ZRH or FRA I'd say LX before LH MUC then LH FRA.

With a 70 min connection at FRA, go to the FCL (Lounge) B, not the FCT (Terminal) landside. From the FCL B you will then be driven to the plane if it is parked at the C gates as the A380 is likely to be.

At FRA, you will also be picked up if your incoming from ARN has an apron position, though you will be dropped at the same bus gate the other pax will, albeit 10 minutes earlier.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Sorry, I meant FCT. I didn't know that they had cars from FCL.

Thanks for the further info.

I think SMK77 makes a good point. The seat on the LH 340 is not good for sleeping. I flew last fall from KIX, but that was a daytime flight. I was going to take a nap but found the bed uncomfortable.

Originally Posted by MichielR
LX A330 has the new F, A340 has the 'old' F. Still good of course - plenty of threads on the LX subforum. C is the same for LX on the A330 and A340. If your question would be about C via MUC, ZRH or FRA I'd say LX before LH MUC then LH FRA.

With a 70 min connection at FRA, go to the FCL (Lounge) B, not the FCT (Terminal) landside. From the FCL B you will then be driven to the plane if it is parked at the C gates as the A380 is likely to be.

At FRA, you will also be picked up if your incoming from ARN has an apron position, though you will be dropped at the same bus gate the other pax will, albeit 10 minutes earlier.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 9:05 am

Sorry, I meant FCT. I didn't know that they had cars from FCL.

Thanks for the further info.

I think SMK77 makes a good point. The seat on the LH 340 is not good for sleeping. I flew last fall from KIX, but that was a daytime flight. I was going to take a nap but found the bed uncomfortable.
Agree but let's not forget that we're comparing F to F to F. All F seats beat the C seats by miles, especially the LH old C. I'd take the LH A340 F seat over any of these C seats...

Cars go from FCL B to A/Z and C gates, not to B gates. There are no A380 stands at the B gates IIRC.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 9:24 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Both LX 340 and 330 have the new C seats but only the 330 has the new F. The old F and the new F are very different.

The choice between LH F vs LX F is a personal thing. I happen to prefer LH.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by MichielR
especially the LH old C. .

I would say the LH current C seat .
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:49 pm

Programs: SK*G/EBD, Le Club Accor Plat, Club Carlson Concierge, Hilton Gold
So the general consensus is LX over LH as long as it is not on a 380??

I have a similar predicament as the OP; trying to decide between LX F and LH F. Taking my GF to SE Asia this fall and my choices are LH of LX to BKK, or LH via FRA or MUC or LX to HKG.

I have flown LH F before (my GF has not) and had one great flight and one not so great, but the ground experience in FRA was no short of excellent ^

I have heard and read here that LX offer a better experience in the air, but my only long haul experience (2 flights) in LX "new" C was not great at all. I understand that C and F are not the same, but really bad service is still just that; really bad service.

Timing for the flights are better with LH via FRA, than LH via MUC and much better than LX via ZRH.

Based on my earlier experiences with the two airlines, I am leaning against LH via FRA to BKK or HKG, but all the rave about LX F on FT makes me wonder if I should reconsider?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.