New Years Rant: Why Lufthansa Suck

Old Dec 30, 2011, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: EuroBonus Gold, LH Senator, Flying Blue Gold, Qatar Priveledge Silver, Emirates Silver
New Years Rant: Why Lufthansa Suck

Based on endless amounts of economy travel and some business class travel the last years with Lufthansa, I can now say that i have only one positive thing to say about this Airline. They do fly on time.

Off course this is a big plus in my book...But given most airlines actually fly on time, it is all the small things that end up driving you nuts. The problem with Lufthansa is that all they care about is efficiency. They simply don't care about the quality of their product. They have no sense of detail, they don't treat their customers well, and in most cases they simply don't get why.

Off course many of the issues comes from being the largest Airline, and Germany being one of the main hubs of Europe. But still, Air France does not suffer from these issues (they have their own).

Below is my unofficial, subjective, and incredibly nitpicky list of reasons why Lufthansa's product sucks. Specific flight is the Airbus 380 to USA, supposedly the nicest and newest aircraft in the world. Business out, economy home.

In Frankfurt/Munich Airport

BUS GATES
In Frankfurt all boarding to and from short and medium haul aircraft happens from bus gates. This is not acceptable. But for Lufthansa this is a solution, not a problem. They simply do not see this as thing that should be improved. For business class passengers a bus gate equals 3 times of waiting, instead of zero. You wait to get in the bus, you wait in a cramped bus, and you wait to get into the plane. It should be notified on the ticket if they use bus gates or not. I would gladly pay to avoid it. This is not a small thing, but a big thing that drive people nuts. And German Airports hold the world championship in bus gates.

SECURITY FROM HELL
How come security in frankfurt takes 50-100 percent more time than any other security in the world? Why do they INSIST that your suitcase goes in a plastic box, when all other places they want it outside the box? Why so frequent special checks? The security in Frankfurt gets the price for having the most rude, stubborn and obnoxious staff on the planet.

THE TUNNEL
That tunnel between gates A and B really baffles everyone. It is impossible to find it if you don't know it. It is really not optimal to manage large flows of people through two elevators and a 5 story dark stairwell.

CRAMPED LOUNGES
The Lufthansa Senator and Business lounges are really too small for the amount of invited people. They are ALWAYS 100% full, meaning no seat for you. Even abroad they always suck. But worst of all was the NO FREE INTERNET policy? How the hell do you come up with such a thing? We serve free booze but no internet. People in lounges need internet more than anyone! To my surprise they have listened, and since this fall they offer the god damn internet..

The Business Class Seats/Cabin

OLD SEATS
Why would you get the newest, largest double decker airplane in the world and then fill it with your old, subpar seats? The seats are WORSE than the ten year old seats on SAS flights. They are incredibly hard, and they only recline to an angled position so you slide down. There is only one choice of cold flickery LED light for reading. And what's up with the fixed mounted headphones? Isn't it kind of nasty to have everyone use the same ear pads? (i know you get some replacement pads, but still, why didn't they replace them in advance?) .

BORING CABIN
The Lufthansa cabin is overly traditional really... I expected a bar or at least SOME special features of the A380. And the toilets look like Airplane toilets in the 1970's. No improvements there.

The Entertainment System

SMALL SCREENS
Lufthansa has saved some pennies and installed small 10-12 inch low quaity LCDs on the business class seats.

HALF RESOLUTION
The movies on the entertainment system are reduced to half resolution, not even close to dvd resolution?! I mean the plane is built in 2011, how can you accept such a bad quality. And the aspect ratios of the movies are messed up, so wide screen content only shows on the central part of the screen.

This really baffles me: It is really not a question of cost to make an excellent entertainment system. But a question of caring about your product enough to recognize such flaws. Today everyone has ipads and laptops with HD content, and being used to that, you dont even bother to try out the in-flight system...

POOR CONTENT
The content sucks and the selection is poor...They should hire someone outside Germany to pick shows, and movies. Someone who are used to real TV- and movie culture. The entertainment system turns on too late, and off too early. Why can we not watch movies or cameras during taxi/take off?

COMMERCIAL BREAKS
Commercial breaks asking for donations are unacceptable, when you are paying +5000 Euro for your flight.

NO INTERNET WFT?
How is it possible in 2011 not to have on-board internet on the newest A380 aircraft? I mean small companies like Norwegian has it?! SAS had it on intercontinental flights back in 2005. Why is Lufthansa not putting a priority on this?

Business Class Menu

MENU SUCKS. REALLY.
The reason why food is supposed to be excellent on a business class flight is that the cost of gourmet food is simply minuscule compared to the cost of flying you over the Atlantic. So you might as well serve excellent food, since everyone is already paying 5000 Euro for the ticket. It makes no sense to try to save on the quality of food. Still Lufthansa is starting to treat their business class customers as economy passengers with a better seat.

The menu is a combination of cheap and pretentious. Germany has so much excellent food, so it is truly a mystery why they have to serve those over-designed, completely random "creations" from some "gourmet chef", that we have to read about in the menu. They should start tasting their own food, and going back to some simple well-cocked dishes, that actually exist in the real world.

DRINKS BEFORE FOOD
For the love of god...Drinks should be served before the food. Not the opposite. Everyone knows this.

COLD TEA / COFFEE
I know you don't want to burn people, but the coffee and especially the tea is not warm enough. A cup of tea should be steaming.

Economy Class

SEATS OF PAIN
One thing with Lufthansa is that they almost NEVER fly with aircrafts with 2-4-2 seating in economy. Flying with the A380 is no exception. You get cramped together 3 persons at the window. Companies like Finair or SAS only flies 2-4-2 setups, this is a HUGE difference.

The leg room on both A380 and 747 is just horrendous. It's like Air China or Spanair or other of the worst airlines in the world. Why does one of the richest countries in the world have so ridiculous economy flight when Thai Air is so nice?

NO 220 V
Even though the aircraft is brand new, WHY are there no 220v plugs? I refuse to believe that it would represent any significant additional cost. Lufthansa has deliberately chosen to not have this feature, just to piss people off. why not try to make the economy class as good as possible under the tight space conditions?

USELESS USB PLUG
the USB plug is hidden where NO ONE would ever find it. And there is no charging capabilities. What is the point?

NO SALT & PEPPER SERIOUSLY?
Lufthansa do not serve salt and pepper on economy class. How can you not serve salt and pepper? It has to be the most stingy and cheap "improvement" ever.

GRUMPY STAFF
The Lufthansa flight attendants are arrogant, unpolite and stiff. They make sure you know that whatever problem you have, it is always your own fault - not theirs. They refuse to accept criticism.

...writing this has relieved some of my butthurt, hooray!

You are welcome to continue the list, happy New Year!

Last edited by MrRant; Dec 31, 2011 at 5:37 am
Old Dec 30, 2011, 8:02 am
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Wink Try...

Flying Southwest & you'll NEVER complain about LH again!!!
Old Dec 30, 2011, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
I agree with you about the bus gates, cramped lounges, and business class. My solution is to credit miles to UA, book business class on LH, and upgrade to F.

Regarding the lounges, I suppose this justifies the policy of UA and US to limit *G access to only those flying international itineraries, or those who credit to a non-American airline.

Welcome to FT.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 8:20 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Silver, HH SILVER, Bonvoy PLAT, A/club PLAT, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by MrRant
Based on endless amounts of economy travel and some business class travel the last years with Lufthansa, I can now say that i have only one positive thing to say about this Airline. They do fly on time.
We live in a free world: Just swap your arline

Happy new year !
Old Dec 30, 2011, 8:37 am

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, BAEC Gold
I disagree/agree with many of the issues you have mentioned here, but these are opinions.

But this
One thing with Lufthansa is that they almost NEVER fly with aircrafts with 2-4-2 seating in economy. Flying with the A380 is no exception. You get cramped together 3 persons at the window. Companies like Finair or SAS only flies 2-4-2 setups, this is a HUGE difference.
is not true.

According to http://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/Lufthansa.htm, LH has:
- 15 A330 (2-4-2)
- 50 A340 (2-4-2)
- 8 A380 (3-4-3)
- 30 747 (3-4-3)

I guess numbers may vary but the big picture is that, more or less, LH has 65 2-4-2 and 38 3-4-3.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 8:38 am

Programs: LH FTL
Hope you feel better now :-)

While I feel with you on a lot of things, a couple of things are either not completely true or simply nothing LH can do:

Airports MUC/FRA
Well, I hate to tell you, but any airline flying to these airports will have exactly the same issues...
However, LH short and medium haul flights leave VERY often from normal gates and NOT bus gates. But the number of normal gates is limited, of course!
Regarding the lounges, well, LH is generous enough to allow plenty of people in these (f.x. *G on domestic flights, etc.), but I agree that there are times when the lounges are completely overcrowded. Again, the lounges themselves are IMO nice. It is a waiting room after all!
Internet: LH used to have computer terminals for those needing internet, now all lounges are with free WLAN (and the internet computers are gone meaning I have to 'unload' my hand luggage if I need internet )

Seats in Economy
Well, on all A330 and A340 you have 2-4-2 in economy with LH. It is only the B747 and A380 that differs (and is actually par with industry standard on these birds at other airlines)

No salt and pepper
Seriously, I find this with the 'cutlery' you get or I ask and have yet to suffer from a no from the usually friendly (but I admit to some they appear to be rather cold) FA's!

Useless USB plug
You said it is in a place where NO ONE can find it, yet YOU found it to be not charging.... Obviously you found the plug

Anyhow, it would be great to have the best of all airlines combined in one, but I am afraid we won't see that happen ever....

HAPPY NEW YEAR
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:12 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Based on endless amounts of economy travel and some business class travel the last years with Lufthansa, !
And yet you flown them enough to get Senator status. Why don't you switch to Air Berlin completely?
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:15 am

Programs: LH SEN+, BA Gold
There are many points to complain about at LH, as at any other airline as well. But to be honest, this critics sounds to me not very founded, but generalised especially when blaming LH for airport facilities or uncomfortable Y environment that your coffee is always to cold. If LH's coffee is not appropriate I suggest to make a HotCoffeeRun™ at AF or BA then.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:23 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold

...writing this has relieved some of my butthurt, hooray!

You are welcome to continue the list, happy New Year!

Welcome to FT MrRant!
You do have a sense of humor in your post.

Hope you are planning to stick around and also have some non-rant type of posts!

I fly LH FRA-MAA-FRA...that does have the 2-4-2 seating, which I appreciate a whole lot.

Its funny how you do not like that LH tries so hard to be "efficient".
Thats something that I like the most about LH. I know that they are almost always going to be on time. They will pretty much follow the rules by the book.
So, if I get something / not get something, then I know its pretty fair.

As someone else pointed out, there is no airline which offers the best of everything.....unless one only flies paid-international-first-class all the time.
So, we put up with some things; and get on with life.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:44 am

Programs: LH SEN+, BA Gold
Originally Posted by caspritz78
And yet you flown them enough to get Senator status. Why don't you switch to Air Berlin completely?
He possibly did. Did you had a look into the AB board?
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
I stopped reading after the Bus Gate rant which is your first point.

Yawn....
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:09 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

In essence you are complaining about:
- The overcrowded airport in FRA (and MUC?) and the lack of real customer service there. Nothing specific for LH, all airlines suffer from this.
- The A380 being just a regular LH aircraft. I guess you have also fallen victim to the marketing surrounding this plane. It's just another f***ing airplane. And since the fares are about the same why should they be configured any differently.
- The subpar LH C seats.... Discussions about those old seats have just been about beaten to death. It would have been nice to have the new seats on the 388, but I guess the timing was too early for that. Instead they will be on the 748. The service is rather dependent on the crew. I had some good and some bad crews (not exceptional and not really bad either). Just switch to LX for your C class flights if you can....
- The IFE. I'm with you on this. Improvements should have been made, and would probably add only a small price to the costs. I just travel with my Ipad.
- Economy class without much extra features. Nothing exceptional there either, hardly any airline splurges on those seats. And you normally get what you pay for.

And for the service.... it's just about on par with the other big European airlines. We're just not a very service oriented society here.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 1:49 pm

Programs: Disgruntled HON**, Indifferent EK Gold, skeptical BA Silver
Originally Posted by Rambuster
I stopped reading after the Bus Gate rant which is your first point.

Yawn....
I just love bus gate departures and arrivals. I fail to understand the problem.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by mamb0
+1

...very smooth connections...!
Old Dec 30, 2011, 3:33 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by mamb0
Of course you must love them. As a HON you will be taken there or brought back in MB or a Porsche while other poor passengers get squeezed in a bus

Last edited by NA-Flyer; Dec 30, 2011 at 11:15 pm Reason: typo

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.