Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 27, 2014, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Aircraft fitted with boardconnect (click on the link to see the flights they operated recently):

MUC

D-AIDA link
D-AIDB link
D-AIDC link
D-AIDD link
D-AIDE link
D-AIDF link
Remaining aircraft: D-AIDI,DM,DP,DT,DU

FRA
D-AIDG link
D-AIDH link
D-AIDJ link
D-AISH link
D-AISI link
D-AISJ link
D-AISK link
D-AISL link
D-AISN link
D-AISO link
D-AISP link
Remaining aircraft: D-AIST,SU,SV,SW,SX,SZ

Pax need to install the following to be able to use the service:

iOS: 'Lufthansa Entertainment' app
Android: 'Lufthansa Entertainment' app by LH Systems
Windows: Microsoft Silverlight v 4.x and above

To check if your device is ready to use the service, just go here: http://www.mymediaworld-check.com/

The service is described here on LH.com: https://www.lufthansa.com/online/myportal/lh/de/info_and_services/on_board?nodeid=1061891283&l=en&cid=18002
Print Wikipost

LH Systems BoardConnect - NextGen IFE on A321 aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2011, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Disgruntled HON**, Indifferent EK Gold, skeptical BA Silver
LH Systems BoardConnect - NextGen IFE on A321 aircraft

Haven't seen it here, yet. LH Systems developed and rolled out BoardConnect a wifi based IFE and besides eliminating cable runs to the seats also offers the possibility to use your own wifi devices to access the offerings of the IFE system. On top it also offer off board services like finishing the movie you started to watch on board in the comfort of the hotel (although I believe this is marketing bs since it would change the licensing model between airlines and content suppliers and will cost the airlines a bulk of money). In the youtube clips I link to they also show how the system can be used to order drinks to your seat.

Condor is the roll out client and they started to outfit their 767s with it. It is said, that installing the system is quickly done since they just need to install the server and 3 access points throughout the plane and the wifi units in every seat, without complicated cable runs to every seat. Also this reduces they weight and can save around 20tons of fuel per year.

have a look:

Article on LH Systems hp

LH Systems Marketing Video in english

Airlines.de report in German

I find it quite cool. Perhaps this is what they will use on LH short haul.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 6:12 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by mamb0
Perhaps this is what they will use on LH short haul.
This is planned to be offered on the midhaul flights to the middle east etc.

Virgin America just gave the green light to switch to this, UA is following a similar path, but probably from a different vendor.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 8:41 am

Programs: LH SENATOR
Cool No TV screens on LH A32S fleet [merged LHS Boardconnect trial]

I was always wonderin how come LH ordered all it's A32S aircraft since the begining without the drop down TV's. It is a much more efficient way to make the safety demonstration and use the screens as a marketing tool to show videos about product enhancments etc. Obviosuly it's also a nice tool for passengers as they would have the air show.

If I am not mistaken they are probably one of the only premium airlines not having their A32S fleet fited with these screens. Is there any reason behind it; maybe massive cost savings although I am sure the cost for this video system is relative
Old Dec 2, 2012, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by LXA350
I was always wonderin how come LH ordered all it's A32S aircraft since the begining without the drop down TV's. It is a much more efficient way to make the safety demonstration and use the screens as a marketing tool to show videos about product enhancments etc. Obviosuly it's also a nice tool for passengers as they would have the air show.

If I am not mistaken they are probably one of the only premium airlines not having their A32S fleet fited with these screens. Is there any reason behind it; maybe massive cost savings although I am sure the cost for this video system is relative
The answer is very simpel: weight
Old Dec 2, 2012, 9:30 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
Lufthansa - Premium Airline ?!?
Old Dec 2, 2012, 9:56 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CAlex
+1 Would rather consider SWISS a premium airline.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by CAlex
What makes an airline a premium airline? (surely not drop down TVs...)
Old Dec 2, 2012, 3:31 pm

From my experience with flying AB and LH I have to say, personal safety demonstrations usually go by faster than the show on the screens.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 3:06 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

The FAs are trained to do the safety demo, the mini curtain that separates Y & fake C can be moved at increments of 1 row, extra equipment & wiring all the seats with audio costs cash in fuel and maintenance, the software (films, radio programmes, moving maps etc) cost licensing fees etc etc. Plus everyone carries their own entertainment on board (20-30% of pax I see on my flights have laptops, ipods, ipads, bks etc etc with them).
Old Dec 3, 2012, 3:13 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The FAs are trained to do the safety demo, the mini curtain that separates Y & fake C can be moved at increments of 1 row, extra equipment & wiring all the seats with audio costs cash in fuel and maintenance, the software (films, radio programmes, moving maps etc) cost licensing fees etc etc. Plus everyone carries their own entertainment on board (20-30% of pax I see on my flights have laptops, ipods, ipads, bks etc etc with them).
Meaning, 70-80% don't bring anything ;-)
Old Dec 3, 2012, 3:42 am

SMP: the flights are pretty full, so A32S overhead IFE doesn't seem to be the main deciding criteria...

Jokes aside, the airlines offering an IFE product on short haul flights in Europe have it installed in their aircraft due to legacy purchasing reasons. Handing out 4-500€ ipads like skywork is far cheaper than fitting IFE systems. The RAVE system VX uses weighs 1-2 tons, thats an awful lot of fuel burnt each time.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 5:45 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Don't get me wrong, I don't need it. I am perfectly happy to bring my own, read a newspaper or sleep. (on shorthaul)

On the big birds, I absolutely expect it!
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:37 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Plus everyone carries their own entertainment on board (20-30% of pax I see on my flights have laptops, ipods, ipads, bks etc etc with them).
Not that there would be a choice on the A32x anyway...

HTB.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 2:01 pm
Raf

Programs: M@M FT, Flying Blue, BA Exec. Club, CSA Plus
"fake C" is a perfect description. Hard rock seats and no pre-take off drinks are far from Premium Class service. Those FA should spend such time to look after BC pax , serve drinks and assist pax for their questions (transfers, delays). Serving pax on plastic boxes ( as PRG-FRA) is not a premium . Waisting your company's money for such service seems to be just a froud. Lufthansa is not a premium airline. At all...
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:35 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Raf
"fake C" is a perfect description. Hard rock seats and no pre-take off drinks are far from Premium Class service. Those FA should spend such time to look after BC pax , serve drinks and assist pax for their questions (transfers, delays).
Yes, and they should do all this in their "free" time, considering that they don't get paid until the brakes are released. What I want to say: don't blame the FAs but blame LH.

Originally Posted by Raf
Serving pax on plastic boxes ( as PRG-FRA) is not a premium . Waisting your company's money for such service seems to be just a froud. Lufthansa is not a premium airline. At all...
I agree it's not premium, but I don't think my company would care as long as I arrive well rested. Oh wait -- that won't happen with a 4-5 hour NEK flight...

HTB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.