Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting in Brussels [BRU]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2013, 3:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Pegasus23
If you have checked luggage....it probably won't make the switch.

I did a connection with 50 min the middle of June. UA EWR to BRU "C" to Brussels Air....to Berlin. Be ready to sweat as you plod along, and find yourself in a never ending serpentine of shops, security, immigration and bags that didn't make the switch. Not a fun connection!

Way too little time imo. Of course if your last name is Bolt, Go for it!
I've been transferring at BRU for years, and have never had a bag fail to connect. YMMV.

Now you want to talk about bag misconnect h3ll, there's CDG. Or the ultimate in bag torture, PHL.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA, SPG
I'm looking at ORD-FRA on a saver award in C with wife and infant this fall. I find saver availability either via BRU or AMS (1st leg on UA metal, second leg from both airports to FRA on LH metal). I have the option of 0:50 min or 1:35 layover. I assume from these comments 1:35 would be better, esp. since we will have the infant with us. We could route via AMS and have a 1:25 layover. We prefer the AMS routing due to the 767 vs 777 for BRU equipment. With that being said, is transferring at one airport better than the other? I know we go through customs in both, do they have a secure area we can just submit our bags and not have to go through security all over again? Thanks.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by UAORD
I'm looking at ORD-FRA on a saver award in C with wife and infant this fall. I find saver availability either via BRU or AMS (1st leg on UA metal, second leg from both airports to FRA on LH metal). I have the option of 0:50 min or 1:35 layover. I assume from these comments 1:35 would be better, esp. since we will have the infant with us. We could route via AMS and have a 1:25 layover. We prefer the AMS routing due to the 767 vs 777 for BRU equipment. With that being said, is transferring at one airport better than the other? I know we go through customs in both, do they have a secure area we can just submit our bags and not have to go through security all over again? Thanks.
IME the security and immigration lines can be longer at AMS than at BRU, but with 1:25 you should be fine at AMS. Better shopping there as well, IMHO.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA-Gold, 1MM, Marriott Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by halls120
I've been transferring at BRU for years, and have never had a bag fail to connect. YMMV.

Now you want to talk about bag misconnect h3ll, there's CDG. Or the ultimate in bag torture, PHL.
First of all Congratulations! Never...for years...O.K.

Mine actually connected; just not on the flight I was on. I mean, they didn't vanish! There was some labour action in Germany about luggage handlers. I assumed it was just in Germany....Not. Something about sympathy....

They were delivered a 4am at the Marriott in TXL.

In the future I will allow much more time in BRU. I hope the OP does as well.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
Still watching for a direct ORD-FRA saver to open up in first (for Dec flight referenced earlier).

IF we miss the connection in BRU, will LH put us on the next flight to FRA on a saver award (in first class).... even an economy seat would do in a pinch in this case, for the short hop BRU-FRA.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA, SPG
Originally Posted by halls120
IME the security and immigration lines can be longer at AMS than at BRU, but with 1:25 you should be fine at AMS. Better shopping there as well, IMHO.
Thanks. Do you know if we need to re-enter security after customs into the EU, or is there a secure area where we can redeposit our bags?
Old Jul 29, 2013, 4:49 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
Originally Posted by sim510
... even an economy seat would do in a pinch in this case, for the short hop BRU-FRA.

You will be in an identical seat, irrespective of economy or business (no first)

If they re-book you into business, then the only difference will be a slightly better breakfast & a free middle seat

Personally I think 50 mins is too sort for BRU...
Old Jul 29, 2013, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by UAORD
Thanks. Do you know if we need to re-enter security after customs into the EU, or is there a secure area where we can redeposit our bags?
That I don't know, sorry.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Premier Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Allow me to join the chorus of those telling you "Don't do it!".

You will likely land at terminal "A" and have to get over to B or C, which, with only 40 mins, is just setting you up for a misconnect.

Chokepoints, even with F or C tix, are the customs line(a single kiosk w/ one or two customs officials at most) and transit security, which is controlled by automated BP-scanners and manned by entirely unsympathetic line monitors.
If your airline/ticket stock doesn't have the fare-class on it in a scannable form, then you're obviously a ne'er do-well scofflaw who should stand in line w/ the rest the proles.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 1:35 am

EWR to BRU with UA - possible delay

Hi!

I've booked a ticket from Travelocity few months ago from TLV to EWR through BRU:
TLV-BRU with SN
BRU-EWR-BRU with UA
BRU-TLV with SN

The flight back to TLV will have a 1:15 hours connection, and it has a potential for a delay (checked it with flightstats.com).
After checking in united website, I noticed that in case of missing the connecting flight from BRU to TLV, I am not entitled to any sort of compensation. Is it true?

And another question- I've noticed that the last leg of the flight is completely full and there is a possible overbooking. If there is an overbooking, United check in staff in EWR will know about? because I am ready to volunteer :-)

Thanx!
Old Sep 19, 2013, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
It seems your first priority is extracting cash from the airline, rather than arriving on time or without stress. In that case booking a short connection in BRU makes sense. However the obligation will be to get you on a later flight if you miss the first and I don't think EU261 will apply as it's UA ex USA. UA won't be soliciting volunteers on behalf of SN
Old Sep 19, 2013, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
It seems your first priority is extracting cash from the airline, rather than arriving on time or without stress. In that case booking a short connection in BRU makes sense. However the obligation will be to get you on a later flight if you miss the first and I don't think EU261 will apply as it's UA ex USA. UA won't be soliciting volunteers on behalf of SN
You make it sound very greedy...
I don't care about getting home later or even much later than scheduled, and I want to have the knowledge before things goes bad (i.e miss the connection and not having any sort of help)
Thanx for the answer.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by veryexcite
After checking in united website, I noticed that in case of missing the connecting flight from BRU to TLV, I am not entitled to any sort of compensation. Is it true?
It would depend on why you missed the connection, but that's probably correct.

Originally Posted by veryexcite
And another question- I've noticed that the last leg of the flight is completely full and there is a possible overbooking. If there is an overbooking, United check in staff in EWR will know about?
No.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
It would depend on why you missed the connection, but that's probably correct.

No.
thank you!
Old Oct 8, 2013, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA, United, BA, Delta, MR, SPG, PC
55mins connection time at BRU - suggestions please

I am currently booked ORD-BRU-FRA-BLR, with ORD-BRU on UA972, BRU-FRA on LH1007 and FRA-BLR on LH754, with all segments on biz.

The connection time that I have at BRU is only 55 minutes. Reading through FT reports makes me realize that I have to likely change terminals at BRU and I am worried now if I can make it in 55 minutes (with my 4 y.o. daughter in tow!).

The alternative would be for me to call UA and try and see if they would be willing to let me change that segment to ORD-DUS-FRA-BLR instead, which provides for a slightly longer transit time at DUS (1h 35m) but shorter transit time at FRA (1h 15m).

I would appreciate any suggestions, particularly from those that have made a similar connection at BRU.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.