Search

Lufthansa fare lock?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2011, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Lufthansa fare lock?

Looking up fares on LH US site, I think I noticed a new feature -

On the payment details page it says:
To complete the purchase of your ticket at this time, select Pay now. You also have the option to Secure your fare, which will hold your reservation and guarantee the price for up to 48 hours. To purchase your ticket you need to return to lufthansa.com and actively confirm your reservation under MyBookings (no fee will be charged). If you do not return to the page within 48 hours, you agree that a handling fee of USD 39.00 will automatically be charged to your credit card.
Secure your fare
(Reservation with price-guarantee)*
*I herewith confirm that I am a private person and will not claim an input tax deduction.
If you do not take any action or if you cancel your booking within 48 hours, a USD 39,- fee will be charged to the form of payment selected below.
http://www.lufthansa.com/online/port...d=2947265&l=en

A bit expensive for the lock period, but a decent feature nevertheless.
Old May 21, 2011, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Despite the charge but still a very good option until the passenger finalize other things in his trip like a meeting schedule confirmation or a hotel reservation ^
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:50 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Also available in some European countries

Lufthansa flight reservation with price guarantee is available for flights with departure from Germany, Austria, Ireland, Spain, France, Estonia, Finland, Slovenia, Holland, Luxembourg and Belgium booked on the German or any European lufthansa.com country site and for all flights booked on the U.S. lufthansa.com country site.
€30 is charged if a reservation is not confirmed within 48 hours.

http://www.lufthansa.com/online/port...l=en&cid=18002
Old Jul 14, 2011, 11:27 am

do I get it right? they charge 30EUR for something my Travel Agent provides for free...
Old Jul 14, 2011, 1:24 pm

Here is something to consider

If on Expedia you don't pay any booking fees etc. what are the chances of your fare going up? I would not want to pay $30 for a fare that is unlikely to change and if its not confirmed I pay this fee. It would make sense to pay this fee only if I knew the fare would go up. 48 hours is usually not enough time for the fare to change but this is where ExpertFlyer comes in handy. If you have Expertflyer you can tell if W Class has 40 seats or 3 seats then I would book it right away if ExpertFlyer showed W 3 and I needed 1 ticket.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 4:03 pm

Programs: LH SEN* (*G), EBG (*G)
Well daniellon, not all of us book 6 months in advance. If you book 1-2 weeks in advance, it may come in handy
Old May 1, 2016, 5:35 pm

Programs: *A Gold, OWE
Any experience with this ?
Is it 48 hours or "up to 48 hours" - the few hours make a difference here ...
Old May 2, 2016, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
It is exactly 48 hours
Old May 2, 2016, 3:27 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by CubaLibre
do I get it right? they charge 30EUR for something my Travel Agent provides for free...
My good old brick and mortar travel agent sometimes needs to issue ticket within 24 hours or the deal is lost... So I am not sure where are you coming from with your claim...
Old May 2, 2016, 10:36 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold
I find that a pretty decent feature for short-term business bookings.
Old May 3, 2016, 2:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by vbroucek
My good old brick and mortar travel agent sometimes needs to issue ticket within 24 hours or the deal is lost... So I am not sure where are you coming from with your claim...
Em, you are quoting a five-year-old post...I suspect some things have changed!
Old May 3, 2016, 3:29 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Em, you are quoting a five-year-old post...I suspect some things have changed!
NOPE, there still are deals that she needs to ticket within 24 hours...
Old May 3, 2016, 3:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I know, but that doesn't stop the quote from being valid...never mind, it's all in the past!
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
LH 24h cancellation policy still applicable?

I'm considering using the fare lock/"secure your fare" for 48 hours on the LH webpage for my upcoming LH flights in June. If I secure the fare for 48h and proceed with the payment and ticket issue later on (within the 48h), would I still be able to apply the 24h cancellation policy after ticket is issued? (i.e. providing an opportunity to cancel the ticket for free rather than paying the EUR 30 penalty under the fare lock for cancelling or letting the 48h period expire without purchasing the ticket).
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by SK AAR
I'm considering using the fare lock/"secure your fare" for 48 hours on the LH webpage for my upcoming LH flights in June. If I secure the fare for 48h and proceed with the payment and ticket issue later on (within the 48h), would I still be able to apply the 24h cancellation policy after ticket is issued? (i.e. providing an opportunity to cancel the ticket for free rather than paying the EUR 30 penalty under the fare lock for cancelling or letting the 48h period expire without purchasing the ticket).
Good question..... I would have though so because the 24 hr cancellation period once ticketed is a seperate policy.
Someone would need to test it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.