Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aargh! The LH 744 in Y. Helllllp

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2011, 2:09 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by MichalFKowalik
+2 - two weeks ago was on 744 MUC-SFO (32C): few glasses of wine put me to sleep over London and they had to wake me up on final approach
You were on a LH 744 for MUC-SFO? Interesting...
Old Apr 21, 2011, 3:53 am

Programs: price is a king
Originally Posted by supermasterphil
You were on a LH 744 for MUC-SFO? Interesting...
you see how good campari was?

Sorry for that - it was A346 SFO-MUC but on way back 744 to FRA

mfk
Old Apr 24, 2011, 2:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by the_horvaths
Just show them what you paid and I am sure they would be happy to give you the op-up! Just make sure to have them pinch you as well.

Just part of the FD experience. Hope for the mass oversell and if not, remind yourself what you are paying. It will not help with the pains of sitting in Y, but I am sure you will feel better.

All the best on getting the op-up!
Over at AF/KL/NW, I used my op-up gaming system to run a rate north of 30% on TATL/TPAC sectors for several years. I posted on this matter over at KL. Many of these itins were FD and it seemed to make no difference to opup chances.

And I was last op-upped by UA on an int'l FD itin. Before I was even a UA member, just by virtue of CO membership. That was funny, because I was denied my request for E+ at the gate on the grounds that it wasn't policy yet for CO OPE, and then the scanner beeped and I was opupped into J anyway.

On the basis of experience so far, I don't think FD figures into the opup computations. But of course, LH might be different.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 11:14 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by redtailshark
..On the basis of experience so far, I don't think FD figures into the opup computations. But of course, LH might be different.
It is. Not in your favour though .. you likely get what you paid for.

But look at the bright side: it's a really, really short flight and a long rest upon arrival can cure all compression pain.

If it offers any comfort to you: LH doesn't treat its own gold elites any better either.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 6:14 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by weero
It is. Not in your favour though .. you likely get what you paid for.

But look at the bright side: it's a really, really short flight and a long rest upon arrival can cure all compression pain.

If it offers any comfort to you: LH doesn't treat its own gold elites any better either.
Well, you may be right. I agree the Y experience sounds dire and I understand LH isn't like NW was in terms of doing favors for its FF, or others.

But, even more incredible things have happened in the recent past... for example, I was opupped on my last BA flight on an EC WT+ award ticket. If you knew my controversial history over at BA you would agree, there can be no conceivable favor explanation of this event. It wasn't that I paid BA much money for the ticket (one-way discounted 25k EC award plus $130 or so in ripoff) nor that I am regarded with sunny favor by BA board members or management. Far from it. BA members would agree, the likelihood of an LH opup on a revenue ticket, even FD, as UA 1K will be higher than my chances of op-up as BA dirt, on an award ticket.

Nevertheless, it happened and I sat in CW. So, I have learned, truly nothing is impossible.

@:-) Wait... there's one exception... obtaining a DL SM award ticket at stated LOW mileage level.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:54 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
..BA members would agree, the likelihood of an LH opup on a revenue ticket, even FD, as UA 1K will be higher than my chances of op-up as BA dirt, on an award ticket..
Op ups are in no way bound to the revenue scheme in my experience. I flew twice on LX/LH awards and I got two longhaul op-ups.

But in my 14 years as an LH SEN, I have never ever received a Y->C upgrade on a revenue fare.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 1:47 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
Over at AF/KL/NW, I used my op-up gaming system to run a rate north of 30% on TATL/TPAC sectors for several years. I posted on this matter over at KL. Many of these itins were FD and it seemed to make no difference to opup chances.
4.5 years of flying LH for work and no op-ups (granted I am far from their best customer). I moved back to Sweden and managed 2 TATL op-ups on my first trip without status. Go figure.

Still waiting for the op-up on a FD ticket. I can still dream though. Icing on the cake.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 1:54 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
why should a fuel dump influence your op-up chances? The LH DCS goes by fare class, as determining what you actually paid for that particular leg is nearly impossible, never mind the YQ. So if you manage to book FDs on LH, invest the savings in a better/higher booking class

I got a opup D->F on a FD ticket once FRA-DEL already, processed when I went to the lounge in MUC
Old Apr 26, 2011, 2:01 am

Now stop that, you are just getting my hopes up!

Unfortunately my FD tickets always involve my family. The chances of scoring an op-up with the present would be unlikely. Nevermind the fact that my wife would kill me if I moved up a cabin and left her in the back with the kids.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 2:11 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Dude... FT rule #1 is to give your better half the BP with the opup and let her enjoy the flight so that next time you sit in front of FT she/he doesn't complain (too much).
Old Apr 26, 2011, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Dude... FT rule #1 is to give your better half the BP with the opup and let her enjoy the flight so that next time you sit in front of FT she/he doesn't complain (too much).
That would be the smart thing to do for a happy marriage! However, I am afraid that she might get accustomed to it and demand it more often. As it stands, my hard earned miles seem to get used up on girls-only trips to London and Milan. I am lucky that she does not compain about my time on FT, although that is because it ususally means another 1-2 trips per year (preferrably in winter to somewhere warmer than Sweden).

Besides, she might learn that my business trips are not as bad as I make them to be. I still manage a nice massage from her after every trip...mainly because she believes that one can get the same aches and pains when travelling in Y+ or C!
Old May 13, 2011, 6:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

So...I admit it, I'm lucky

It's true. I've just been op-upped on this flight.

When I checked in, I requested an exit row...which they gave me. Then, I entered the LH lounge - which has such a great view of the AF 380 - and the guardian said, we "might be able to find you a more comfortable seat." I was just called down to the lounge desk by the polite and friendly lounge dragon and issued a new BP in C.

I did request that my CO OP number be switched out for my new UA 1K number. I figured, 1K at UA might have better traction than plain *G from CO. But in reality, I don't know if this had any marginal effect or not. Also, the day (Friday night) might have something to do with this... heavier Y/C proportions than normal for weekdays maybe.

I know that this is a monster FD itin and yet I'm riding in C both ways (CO SWU, LH opup). This event also proves that LH can't care at all about actual fare because nobody except nonrevs on this flight have paid less than me for their tickets. Even then, it's close, an ID90 could be more.

Yes, I agree, I seem to have the luck of the Irish when it comes to op-ups. First at NW/KL/AF and now on Star.

I confess that this is my first ever LH transoceanic flight. I feel for you hardcore SEN guys who fly years and never benefit from this Teutonic munificence.

Update: Another pax being called: looks like they're going down the list. I wonder how many tonight? And another.. sorry you longtime LH guys are missing the party!
Old May 13, 2011, 6:42 pm

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
It's true. I've just been op-upped on this flight.

When I checked in, I requested an exit row...which they gave me. Then, I entered the LH lounge - which has such a great view of the AF 380 - and the guardian said, we "might be able to find you a more comfortable seat." I was just called down to the lounge desk by the polite and friendly lounge dragon and issued a new BP in C.

I did request that my CO OP number be switched out for my new UA 1K number. I figured, 1K at UA might have better traction than plain *G from CO. But in reality, I don't know if this had any marginal effect or not. Also, the day (Friday night) might have something to do with this... heavier Y/C proportions than normal for weekdays maybe.

I know that this is a monster FD itin and yet I'm riding in C both ways (CO SWU, LH opup). This event also proves that LH can't care at all about actual fare because nobody except nonrevs on this flight have paid less than me for their tickets. Even then, it's close, an ID90 could be more.

Yes, I agree, I seem to have the luck of the Irish when it comes to op-ups. First at NW/KL/AF and now on Star.

I confess that this is my first ever LH transoceanic flight. I feel for you hardcore SEN guys who fly years and never benefit from this Teutonic munificence.

Update: Another pax being called: looks like they're going down the list. I wonder how many tonight? And another.. sorry you longtime LH guys are missing the party!
Its Ok we dont mind ... from the US slum LH J miight feel like luxury... Ive been oped up when i was SEN from SQ J to SQ F (not suites, just exhilirating F.... also once on Asiana .... aaaaah!) Ill be back on SEN in June and looking forward to THOSE upgrades!
Old May 13, 2011, 6:47 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Another five summoned to the desk since I last reported.
Old May 14, 2011, 4:17 am

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Another five summoned to the desk since I last reported.
Look slike LH is becoming like a US airline no paying premium cabin customers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.