Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

'Baggage Excellence' Campaign: carry on rules check/enforcement [feedback]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'Baggage Excellence' Campaign: carry on rules check/enforcement [feedback]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2011, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I recall that the 8kg weight for carryons HAS been consistently enforced for quite some time, even on longhaul. Flying PDA-FRA in Feb. 2008, I had my carryon duffel bag weighed at checkin (and I specifically chose a duffel bag for this very reason, my rollaboard adds a couple of kilos of weight). Of course, I had weighed it BEFORE packing it (at 8 kilos, matching the luggage regulations), and transferred a few things to my Brenthaven laptop case (which didn't get weighed- I don't think it was over 8 kilos. It fits under the seat, anyway).

That 8 kilos (plus stuff in the Brenthaven) kept me going for a week, in business casual clothing. In February (so I wasn't packing a lot of shorts, though I did WEAR the full length cashmere dress coat, and I had multiple changes of clothes). And I had space to pack souvenirs.

As for "why don't you check luggage":

- I hate waiting for luggage. I want to be off the plane and going.
- I don't trust airlines not to lose my luggage.
- I don't trust luggage handlers not to steal from my luggage.

Anyways, 8 kilos isn't as draconian as you think it is... if you know what you're doing.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:47 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
[Natalie, on her first outing, walks into the Omaha Airport terminal dragging her slow-moving luggage; Ryan, offended by this, looks at her in frustration]
Natalie Keener: What?
Ryan Bingham: Follow me.
[later at a store in the terminal, Ryan grabs a new, updated rolling luggage]
Natalie Keener: I really like my luggage.
Ryan Bingham: That's exactly what it is, it's luggage. You know how much time you lose by checking in?
Natalie Keener: I don't know. Five, ten minutes?
Ryan Bingham: 35 minutes a flight. I travel 270 days a year. That's 157 hours. That makes seven days. You're willing to throw away an entire week on that?
[Natalie sighs]

The baggage excellence has been in place for more than 3 years. I famously remember some LH staff standing near immigration in MAA with a simple weighing scale like this:
Old Mar 26, 2011, 7:30 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Key8
..Nasty people might say that this is not surprising as that is also the way Lufti runs their IT systems...
"Ran" their IT systems ... I am sure the crew who designed that antiquity long went extinct and today's updates only happen to the web interface ...
Old Mar 28, 2011, 3:03 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

OK updated their cabin luggage guidelines: 1 piece 8 KG in coach, 2 piece 12KG in Business:

http://www.csa.cz/en/portal/passenge...nformation.htm
Old Mar 29, 2011, 9:22 am

Programs: *A Gold, OWE
Had the pleasure of the campaign now twice.

The first time the solution was to say "The content is breakable" - reply "Oh okay". No problem to take it on board.

The second time was to simply ignore the guy telling me to check it in. I learned in that event that the magic word seems to be "Laptoptasche" (=laptop bag) as the LH colleagues always looked at him and said "Laptoptasche" if someone was boarding with two pieces in Eco.

Cheers
TheAirman
Old Mar 30, 2011, 2:28 am

Thanks to this enforcement I lost my carry-on luggage yesterday at FRA when having a stopover (which was at least 90 mins) before flying to AMS. I didn't want to check it in, but was forced and now it's lost...
Old Apr 5, 2011, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Read the current issue of the inflight magazine on sunday and was surprised to note that the section explaining cabin baggage doesn't mention the laptop/purse/etc option.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 5:36 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
I was carrying a laptop bagpack and another carry on (within specified limits) from VIE - DME via MUC..
The carry-on was 8.2 kgs and the check in person said I can take the carry on only when I have a laptop bag and not a backpack .. Anyway she relented later when she saw I had a tight connection in MUC..
In munich,they told me that even though my carry on is within allowable limits, they will have to check it in since flight is full and I had to check it in..

My question here -- Is there a rule that only a laptop bag and not backpack is allowed in addition to carry on ?
Old Apr 5, 2011, 5:41 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Read the current issue of the inflight magazine on sunday and was surprised to note that the section explaining cabin baggage doesn't mention the laptop/purse/etc option.
My sister experienced exactly what you described just last week. She was on DUS-MUC-PEK, having a regular carry-on suitcase well within the guidelines and a very small women's purse. The DUS-MUC FA barked at her for carrying that purse and so did a MUC-PEK FA

Ignoring them and just walking further down the aisle to the respective seat did the job.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 9:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, LH M&M, AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Avis NotLast, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Today I was waiting at MUC to catch a connecting flight to FRA. Left the F lounge 10 or so minutes early, got to the gate and sat down. Within a minute the gate warden began questioning if I was flying whY or biz...unprompted but I guessed it was due to my two carryons. Told him I was in biz...and so 2 minutes before boarding he comes back to ask the same. Several people stopped at the gate too, holding up boarding. Although annoying, this is way more efficient than what we deal with in the US, and certainly less of a zoo.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 9:58 am
DTS

Programs: AS 75k, A3 Gold, AC 25k, IHG Plat
Laptop bag

How big may that laptop bag be? I have one from Tumi, its width and height are approximately like a 15" notebook, but it is pretty thick, I'd say 8".
Is that still a laptop bag, or already a regular carry-on item?
Old Apr 5, 2011, 11:21 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by DTS
How big may that laptop bag be? I have one from Tumi, its width and height are approximately like a 15" notebook, but it is pretty thick, I'd say 8".
Is that still a laptop bag, or already a regular carry-on item?
mine is also about 15inch *12 * 6 inch but its a laptop backpack and not a bag and hence the question whether only a laptop bag is allowed or also laptop backpack ?
Old Apr 6, 2011, 11:24 am

I stopped using my Titan laptop case about a year ago and now carry a Longchamp large size tote (I am female) with my two laptops inside as it is a lighter combination than the Titan. I fear that because it doesn't look like a laptop case I may run into issues even though what I carry now is lighter than before.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 12:57 pm

I'd like to join that discussion as I experienced a lot of things related to the campaign. First of all, Lufthansa says on its website:

"In addition to your hand baggage and technical appliances you may take the following items into the cabin:

A handbag, wrist bag or small bag (or small laptop bag) and their content
A coat, shawl or blanket
A small camera or a pair of binoculars
An appropriate amount of reading material for the journey
A infant carrier and baby food for the flight
Crutches or other orthopedic aids you are depending on"

A small laptop bag means a bag only for your laptop and not for further folders! Otherwise, one bag will be labeled (especially in MUC).
I recommend everybody to follow the hand baggage rules as there are no exceptions! Even HONs in Y have to check their second bag.

Concerning the second bag in C, Lufthansa.com says:

"Differing rules
In certain cases we may ask our First and Business Class passengers to check in their second piece of hand baggage:

Flights with small aircraft, mainly on regional routes (Lufthansa Regional Partner)
In countries with restrictive government regulations (such as Italy and the USA)"

On a fully booked flight, the Captain/Flight Manager can order to label every second bag even in C and the Gate announcement says it as well.

If you still don't accept the carry-on baggage rules, remember that hand baggage is part of the transportation contract you paid for and agreed with! Ignoring the agents, third party or administration staff or removing the labels are no options either because the FAs are briefed and can label the bags on board (again). Happened a lot of times and caused delays.

Looking forward to more comfort on board
LaPlanche
Old Apr 6, 2011, 6:11 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by LaPlanche
I'd like to join that discussion as I experienced a lot of things related to the campaign. First of all, Lufthansa says on its website:

"In addition to your hand baggage and technical appliances you may take the following items into the cabin:

A handbag, wrist bag or small bag (or small laptop bag) and their content
A coat, shawl or blanket
A small camera or a pair of binoculars
An appropriate amount of reading material for the journey
A infant carrier and baby food for the flight
Crutches or other orthopedic aids you are depending on"

A small laptop bag means a bag only for your laptop and not for further folders! Otherwise, one bag will be labeled (especially in MUC).
I recommend everybody to follow the hand baggage rules as there are no exceptions! Even HONs in Y have to check their second bag.

Concerning the second bag in C, Lufthansa.com says:

"Differing rules
In certain cases we may ask our First and Business Class passengers to check in their second piece of hand baggage:

Flights with small aircraft, mainly on regional routes (Lufthansa Regional Partner)
In countries with restrictive government regulations (such as Italy and the USA)"

On a fully booked flight, the Captain/Flight Manager can order to label every second bag even in C and the Gate announcement says it as well.

If you still don't accept the carry-on baggage rules, remember that hand baggage is part of the transportation contract you paid for and agreed with! Ignoring the agents, third party or administration staff or removing the labels are no options either because the FAs are briefed and can label the bags on board (again). Happened a lot of times and caused delays.

Looking forward to more comfort on board
LaPlanche
Congratulations on your first post, LaPlanche!

Firstly, whether a laptop bag can really only contain a laptop as you say is not certain. You are allowed to bring in additional reading material, a camera etc. anyway so this could go into the laptop bag.
And we have a lot of experience here on this board that there are indeed exceptions to the rules. The DUF family hat some LH flights lately with carry on outside the specs with no problem.

By the way, how comes you have often seen people remove tags from their luggage, then take it on board to then be told again to check it in? Or are you talking about gate checking of bags like you do on small aircrafts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.