Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who is allowed to use company miles for private flights ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2009, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Who is allowed to use company miles for private flights ?

To compare with my personal situation I would like to know, who of you is allowed to use miles earned on company paid flights for private trips. In the past this was possible for me but since this year company miles may only be used for business flights or class upgrades on business flights.

One of the reasons seems to be, that we have a new tax regulation in Austria which foresees, that you have to pay income taxes for 1,5% of your yearly ticket revenue if your company allows you to to use miles for private purposes and our HR people do not want to take the additional effort to administer this.

How about your policies?

cma410
Old Jan 28, 2009, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
We are "asked" to use miles for company purposes which is mildly enforced by allowing cattle class only on certain non billable travel even for partners.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 2:18 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, M&M LT SEN, AZ Plat, WoH LT Glob, HH Diam
Our company let us use our miles for private purpose, as the company considers it is a compensation for spending numerous days, sometimes week ends away from our family. In addition, I've made the experience in another company that using your miles for business purpose is not always cheaper: you gain in cost but loose on flexibility and after a few re-routings, cancellations, etc... you realize it would have been cheaper to buy a ticket!
Old Jan 28, 2009, 2:27 pm

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Private use allowed (or for upgrade use on business trips) which is just fair for flying paid cattle class on business trips even to the furthest destination.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 2:28 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
How do they know where you're getting your miles from and where you're spending them?

Or are you refering to a company loyalty scheme?

Editted:
Re=read the title...I think I understand now.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 2:46 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by Glenlivet
Our company let us use our miles for private purpose, as the company considers it is a compensation for spending numerous days, sometimes week ends away from our family
I have the same situation with my company. They never question or ask where or how much miles I earn or how I spend them.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Mileage use permitted for private use, but often used to upgrade business trips.
However, it would not be so easy to distinguish between privately earned miles and miles earned on business trips. (My own ratio is probably close to 50/50).
Old Jan 28, 2009, 2:59 pm

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Glenlivet
Our company let us use our miles for private purpose, as the company considers it is a compensation for spending numerous days, sometimes week ends away from our family.
My old (US) company allowed us to keep miles and monetary compensation as Glenlivet commented. However, Mrs. Italy's current (foreign) employer (who bought my old company) has different rules and any miles or $$$ goes back into the company coffers

Boarding passes are required when submitting travel expenses along with (airport) parking receipt if used
Old Jan 28, 2009, 3:34 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
This depends strictly on taxation laws. AFAIK, here in Australia it should be subject to Fringe Benefit Tax (FBT) but do not have enough experience and knowledge to ellaboarate on that more. On the other hand we are allowed to "salary sacrifice" Qantas Club membership fees, so I am not sure. Might be worth of investigating...

Did bit of investigating and it is messy... See http://law.ato.gov.au/atolaw/view.ht.../NAT/ATO/00001 if you want to read through legal documents and taxation rulings...

Last edited by vbroucek; Jan 28, 2009 at 4:00 pm
Old Jan 28, 2009, 6:24 pm

Our company policy is that miles can be used for up grades or private trips , reasoning being that people who travel spend time away from family etc etc , and this should be viewed as a compensation for that sacrifice.
Tax laws are however different in every country on this subject , but the possible liability in most cases lays with the individual.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 1:04 am

Since german courts decided last year (or the one before) that miles earned on business flights belong to the company most of us stopped accuring miles on those flights.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 1:12 am

Programs: LX Sen, EK Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Sirius Gold, BA Gold
We are allowed by the company to use our miles for private purpose, as posted above, a compensation for spending time away from the family, overnight flights, etc.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
My employers never ask about miles earned, or how I spend them. On long-haul work-related Y-class I use miles to upgrade.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 4:15 am

Programs: LH SEN
Where I work the company policy explicitly states; miles belongs to staff.
However the company only book LH class B so not many miles anyway.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 4:37 am

Programs: LH, Avis, Hyatt, ...
Originally Posted by moeve
Since german courts decided last year (or the one before) that miles earned on business flights belong to the company most of us stopped accuring miles on those flights.
That court only decided one case. Other cases may follow in the same direction, but it is not a must have law. Each company can still use it's own rules.

Here in Germany LH has reached an agreement with tax government many years ago to pay a kind of compensation to them for all those M&M members using miles with an annual value above ~2.500 (guess currency was DEM, but maybe even EUR). This was published by LH and since then they never published anything updated. So I guess, it is still in place and there is no tax issue using the miles this or the other way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.