Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Next round of strike announced for 13th to 16th of April

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2010, 1:22 am

LAX-MUC on 4/16 -- will the strike ground me?

I'm flying Lufthansa LAX-FCO the evening April 16 with a connection in MUC. Will my flight be subject to the planned pilots' strike? It'll be the 17th in Europe when my flight is set to take off (evening of the 16th in LAX). So not sure if the flight is within the strike period. Any help appreciated -- thanks!
Old Mar 27, 2010, 5:16 am

Programs: LH SEN; CX DM; DL PM; Hyatt GL
Originally Posted by rsilvers
I'm flying Lufthansa LAX-FCO the evening April 16 with a connection in MUC. Will my flight be subject to the planned pilots' strike? It'll be the 17th in Europe when my flight is set to take off (evening of the 16th in LAX). So not sure if the flight is within the strike period. Any help appreciated -- thanks!
Welcome to FT!

*IF* the strike goes for the whole period, it's unlikely they will have a plane at LAX on 16 April, no matter what day that is in Germany because of the time difference.

For now, I would hold still another 10 days or so and see what will happen. If they go ahead and strike, you can still contact LH then, enquire about your particular flight and ask to be rebooked on another airline.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 5:41 am

From my experience at the last strike:
Now you can only rebook if your ticket allows rebooking, and pay any fee.
I would expect that LH announces a few days before the strike that you can rebook free of charge, but only on a limited amount of airlines and limited time frame.
When the strike gets closer they will cancel flights. At that point in time they will rebook you on other airlines or in higher fare buckets.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 11:06 am

Thanks for your helpful replies!

Our ticket, in business class, was purchased via UA with UA miles....will LH still rebook us in business class on another airline? This matters for us, because we're flying to our own wedding in Italy!!
Old Mar 27, 2010, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA *G, Accor/Sofitel Gold, InterContinental Platinum
After several attempts, I was able to rebook on LX through DEN-ORD-ZRH-JNB in business class. It adds one stop to the overall flight, but I no longer have to stress if the strike actually happens. From what I can understand from the flyertalk postings, the LX and LH services are pretty similar. So, I think it worked out well.

Thanks
Old Mar 27, 2010, 2:59 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rsilvers
Our ticket, in business class, was purchased via UA with UA miles....will LH still rebook us in business class on another airline? This matters for us, because we're flying to our own wedding in Italy!!
If you check the previous strike thread you will see LHrelate, M&M forum's official lurker, confirmed that in case of award tickets from another FFP you would have to contact the airline which issued the ticket (UA in your case) for changing the booking.

Having said that I know that LHrelate (Michelle) did help FTers who had award tickets issued by other *A carriers but your first port of call should be UA/Mileage Plus if your flight is affected by the strike. I do hope you get to your wedding in Italy without any hassle.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 3:12 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Dear fellow FTers,

Just reminder no to discuss political issues in this thread but just focus on consequences of a possible pilots walk-out and how to cope with them.

Kind regards,

totti
M&M moderator
Old Mar 27, 2010, 3:39 pm

Would LH flights operated by Augsburg Airways (MUC-GVA) be affected by the strike?

What about flights operated by Eurowings or Lufthansa Cityline?
Old Mar 27, 2010, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Eurowings have their own issues going on right now and are balloting on strike action.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 4:10 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

In February it was a strike by LH, LH Cargo and Germanwings pilots. Presumably the same group of pilots again if the strike goes ahead?
Old Mar 28, 2010, 2:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by totti
Dear fellow FTers,

Just reminder no to discuss political issues in this thread but just focus on consequences of a possible pilots walk-out and how to cope with them.

Kind regards,

totti
M&M moderator
Good advice!

I've coped with them by cancelling all my flights on LH and transferring to TK.

LH, what a piece of crap!
Old Mar 28, 2010, 6:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
I am scheduled to fly from ZRH to FRA on LH on April 14, then from FRA to ORD on UA. If the strike happens, is there any chance LH would rebook me on SWISS (non-stop)? My husband will be flying same day on Swiss. Or, is it up to UA to rebook me? And, do I check in with LH or UA in ZRH? I'm flying on a UA codeshare to FRA. I will be staying near ZRH airport the night of the 13th, and I plan to go to the airport that evening to see what is going on. LH or UA counter? Thanks for any help.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by sim510
I am scheduled to fly from ZRH to FRA on LH on April 14, then from FRA to ORD on UA. If the strike happens, is there any chance LH would rebook me on SWISS (non-stop)? My husband will be flying same day on Swiss. Or, is it up to UA to rebook me? And, do I check in with LH or UA in ZRH? I'm flying on a UA codeshare to FRA. I will be staying near ZRH airport the night of the 13th, and I plan to go to the airport that evening to see what is going on. LH or UA counter? Thanks for any help.
I assume you have an UA ticket. Then you need to call UA to be re-booked. Usually they do it only after your flight has officially been canceled. This is also assuming that your ticket is non changeable, otherwise you can try to change now.
Check in is always with the operating carrier, so LH in this case.

I would assume that they first try to rebook you on a different flight to FRA (operated by Swiss) before they rebook you on the direct Swiss flight to ORD. Check the LH web site to find out if your flight is canceled, then call UA immediately.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
I assume you have an UA ticket. Then you need to call UA to be re-booked. Usually they do it only after your flight has officially been canceled. This is also assuming that your ticket is non changeable, otherwise you can try to change now.
Check in is always with the operating carrier, so LH in this case.

I would assume that they first try to rebook you on a different flight to FRA (operated by Swiss) before they rebook you on the direct Swiss flight to ORD. Check the LH web site to find out if your flight is canceled, then call UA immediately.
Good advice. At the moment, UA is not "aware" of the potential industrial action and thus will not make any proactive changes to non-flexible tickets. As others have noted, wait another week or so until there is an official decision by LH -- who will advise other STAR carriers -- and then contact UA who will then make changes to any LH or UA codeshares on LH metal segments.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 8:48 am

FWIW special timetables for the strike period were published 3 days before the start of the last strike in February. Although the strike was called off within 24 hours it took 3 or 4 days for some of the longhaul flights to get back to normal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.