Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Next round of strike announced for 13th to 16th of April

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2010, 4:44 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by bmchris
This makes absolutely no sense. If they don't get anything out of it, why would they do it? They get other points and not brownie points? Personally, I think the public will be very forgiving - as they have with most other groups that have ever held strikes.
Well, you strike because you hope you get something out of it. Their last strike didn't achieve anything. And if you read through the German press, they were very negative about the flight crews going on strike a couple of weeks ago. I doubt the public will be foregiving when a group of people who is so highly paid goes on strike.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Sounds like I may get stranded in Istanbul. Have a flight on LH on the 14th to FRA connecting onward to IAD. UA says changing now would cost more than my original ticket price because of the fare buckets available, plus a change fee! Should I just:

1. wait it out and see how LH protects me on the day,
2. book a one-way refundable on TK, or
3. book a throw-away $200 flight on TK?
Old Mar 25, 2010, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Sounds like I may get stranded in Istanbul. Have a flight on LH on the 14th to FRA connecting onward to IAD. UA says changing now would cost more than my original ticket price because of the fare buckets available, plus a change fee! Should I just:

1. wait it out and see how LH protects me on the day,
2. book a one-way refundable on TK, or
3. book a throw-away $200 flight on TK?
I'd go for options 1 & 2 !

Worst case you will have a more expensive flight home, but at least you get there.
If LH actually does strike (which I still doubt) they might reaccomodate you so that you can cancel option 2 again.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 9:56 am

Flight during LH strike, any suggestions?

I am scheduled to return from Tel Aviv to Calgary (via Frankfurt) on LH on April 16 during planned strike. Ticket is non-refundable.

I contacted LH and they told me that they won't do anything now as there is no "goodwill" yet announced.

But, I am departing in 2 days and am worried about getting home in a timely manor.

Any suggestions?
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, LH M&M, AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Avis NotLast, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Pray?
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Rambuster
I'd go for options 1 & 2 !

Worst case you will have a more expensive flight home, but at least you get there.
If LH actually does strike (which I still doubt) they might reaccomodate you so that you can cancel option 2 again.
True, as long as I can convince UA not to cancel my FRA-IAD-BUF flights assuming I won't be making it on my LH IST-FRA segment. But agree, also wait it out. (Added dilemma, the full Y versus full C fare is only Euro100 difference, so why not spend the extra for COS bonus? Decisions, decisions!) Best to at least call LH to give them an Istanbul phone/hotel contact...
Old Mar 25, 2010, 12:30 pm

Programs: AC Elite
If you see a tired and wary Canadian roaming the FRA terminal on the morning of April 13 looking for a way to connnect to DME from his overnight flight from YUL, direct him to the nearest lounge where he can get a few more winks of sleep. Either that or we can grab a beer together to wait out the chaos.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA *G, Accor/Sofitel Gold, InterContinental Platinum
Originally Posted by Cloud Lounger
If you see a tired and wary Canadian roaming the FRA terminal on the morning of April 13 looking for a way to connnect to DME from his overnight flight from YUL, direct him to the nearest lounge where he can get a few more winks of sleep. Either that or we can grab a beer together to wait out the chaos.
If your still there on the 14th, I would be glad to get you into the Sen Lounge as a guest. However, its possible I will not make it there by the 14th. DEN-FRA-JNB (all LH), departing on the 13th.

Should I be concerned about this and trying to change my flights or just wait it out?
Old Mar 25, 2010, 5:16 pm

Could someone please explain to me why the number of PNRs matters and what happens when there are 2 different PNRs involved?

I have 2 one-way flights on April 13th (LHR->FRA; FRA->PEE; both tickets were booked with LH and have LH flight numbers). Will Lufthansa not accomodate me if the first flight gets cancelled and, consequently, I won't make it to the second flight (assuming the 2nd flight isn't cancelled)? And what about if the 1st flight departs but the 2nd flight is cancelled and I'm stuck in FRA? Will they not be obliged to book me onto another airline or at least put me up in a hotel in FRA until they can get me to my final destination? Finally, what if both flights are cancelled and I have to stay in London until the strike is over? Will they pay for a hotel if they cannot rebook me on, say, Aeroflot?
Old Mar 25, 2010, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RockyMntFlyer
If your still there on the 14th, I would be glad to get you into the Sen Lounge as a guest. However, its possible I will not make it there by the 14th. DEN-FRA-JNB (all LH), departing on the 13th.

Should I be concerned about this and trying to change my flights or just wait it out?
I hope I make it to FRA on the 14th one way or another. Cloud Lounger is an SE, so no worries about lounge access, RMF, as am I, though he may still be in one of the Senator lounges when we [hopefully] get to FRA!
Old Mar 25, 2010, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by harlam
Could someone please explain to me why the number of PNRs matters and what happens when there are 2 different PNRs involved?

I have 2 one-way flights on April 13th (LHR->FRA; FRA->PEE; both tickets were booked with LH and have LH flight numbers). Will Lufthansa not accomodate me if the first flight gets cancelled and, consequently, I won't make it to the second flight (assuming the 2nd flight isn't cancelled)? And what about if the 1st flight departs but the 2nd flight is cancelled and I'm stuck in FRA? Will they not be obliged to book me onto another airline or at least put me up in a hotel in FRA until they can get me to my final destination? Finally, what if both flights are cancelled and I have to stay in London until the strike is over? Will they pay for a hotel if they cannot rebook me on, say, Aeroflot?

As two separate bookings, there is really no way LH knows you're the same person on the two legs. Also, if LH were to get you to FRA but your FRA-PEE flight was cancelled, it has no responsibility to compensate you, other than rebooking that segment on another carrier or on its next operating flight.

If your LHR-FRA is cancelled and you cannot get to FRA for the next flight, and it goes or you have been put onto another carrier, then it's your responsibility to get to FRA and take the [protected] flight. If you No Show and this is not a refundable ticket, then you lose everything. Even with credit card insurance, you are unlikely to get compensation.

You should contact LH to have the reservations cross referenced.

In them meantime, we just keep our fingers crossed.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 7:56 pm

For those passengers holding * alliance award tickets on LH operated flights but the tickets are issued by another star carrier, what should the passengers do if the LH flight is cancelled? Should they call the ticket issuing carrier to rebook, or will LH rebook them?
Old Mar 25, 2010, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UpInTheAir
For those passengers holding * alliance award tickets on LH operated flights but the tickets are issued by another star carrier, what should the passengers do if the LH flight is cancelled? Should they call the ticket issuing carrier to rebook, or will LH rebook them?
You should be proactive and call the issuing program now to see if they will change your flight to another carrier, subject to award space being available. At the moment, other STAR carriers are not considering this as a valid matter for which they will rebook you without charging a change fee. At least that was UA's response when I checked about changing my revenue ticket. You may have more luck with an award ticket.

If you keep your LH space, I would call LH reservations and make sure they have proper contact numbers for you, so should you be rebooked or protected on another carrier if the strike occurs, they can reach you. If things happen mid-trip, you would call LH not your FF program.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 8:55 pm

Programs: AC Elite
Originally Posted by Shareholder
I hope I make it to FRA on the 14th one way or another. Cloud Lounger is an SE, so no worries about lounge access, RMF, as am I, though he may still be in one of the Senator lounges when we [hopefully] get to FRA!
I'll save some seats..
Old Mar 26, 2010, 3:43 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Ah, on the 13th I'm booked MUC-LHR-MUC-KRK all on LH.
Hopefully there won't be a strike, or I hope LH can either just reroute me to KRK, or rebook me on LO
Also, its 2 separate tickets, ORD(UA)-MUC-LHR then LHR-MUC-KRK. When I call up LH, what do I tell them? Just to cross reference?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.