Community
Wiki Posts
Search

5 x usual HON miles for Lufthansa Private Jet

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2010, 3:50 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Crazy stuff. I can understand it if someone would be within 100-200K of making HON in the 2 years period and wants an easy top up with a bit of a novelty factor. Apart from that it doesn't make much sense unless you really fly a lot on LH. SO being SIN based I'm in no danger of jumping on board ... plus I think hemore they call and ask about it LH will pull the plug or change the conditions of the offer
Old Mar 13, 2010, 5:08 am

Programs: M&M Senator, Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by Zurich Flyer
Hi guys

We are planning to do some SEN and HON runs ex ZURICH @:-)

The first two flights are likely to be on Sunday 09.05.2010.

If anyone wants to join, please send me a PM.

Regards,
Zurich Flyer
I am on for ZRH.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 5:08 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sentom
i doubt that there will be many HON runner, who in his right mind will spend 10k+ on a weekend to get HON?! and even if, its mostly people from FT and/or VFT, so we are talking about a very limited group of people. what does is matter if there is maybe 10 more HONs due to this?!
I think you are right. In the grand scheme of things this promo won't make that much difference to the overall number of HONs or how their privileges are enhanced.

Originally Posted by andre1970
"Cessna HONs™"
^^

For a joy ride (without miles!) I'd rather opt for this one.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by ntddevsys
Lufthansa Private Jet is offering a five-week special, from May 1 to June 6, where each passenger will earn 50,000 miles (counts for status and HON Circle miles) per flight instead of the usual 10,000.

They are also offering a five percent discount on private jet flights booked from March 1 on routes beyond Germany’s borders.

So, 12 short hops by private jet would net 600,000 miles (and most importantly, HON Circle status). While that is obviously going to cost more than to earn 600,000 miles flying LH commercial, if it is indeed correct that each passenger earns miles then the cost could be shared between 4 passengers on the Cessna Citation CJ1+ (netting a total of 2.4 million miles and HON for 4).

It might be a world first - mileage running by private jet!

Where did you find that promotion? I cannot find a link.

By the way, if this promotion is true, I am personally annoyed by LH watering down the HON status this way. I would expect hundreds of extra HONs from this, overcrowded lounges, and a further reduction of services.

Last edited by CalFlyer; Mar 13, 2010 at 5:47 am
Old Mar 13, 2010, 6:12 am

CalFlyer, people becoming HONs this way are - on average - definitely not travelling the amount of legs, miles etc. of "regular" HONs. Therefore, the effect on lounge usage will be neglectable.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CalFlyer
By the way, if this promotion is true, I am personally annoyed by LH watering down the HON status this way. I would expect hundreds of extra HONs from this, overcrowded lounges, and a further reduction of services.
I really don't think you will find hundreds of extra HON customers this way- not that many people are going to take this many private jet flights just to get an airline card...
Old Mar 13, 2010, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I really don't think you will find hundreds of extra HON customers this way- not that many people are going to take this many private jet flights just to get an airline card...
Well, even if this are hundreds of new HONS, they won't use their cards frequently for flying. Maybe use them more often at after-work-parties...
Old Mar 13, 2010, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LH-EcoSEN
Well, even if this are hundreds of new HONS, they won't use their cards frequently for flying. Maybe use them more often at after-work-parties...
Hey welcome to FT LH-EcoSEN!!

I cannot imagine this (the after-work party part that is).

Anyway- one of the greatest things about FT is people's creativity- I am guessing LH is probably also interested to see if something like this get's pulled off- could be the ultimate "Mileage Running" article.

Personally I will stick to getting my miles the old fashioned way.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by LH-EcoSEN
CalFlyer, people becoming HONs this way are - on average - definitely not travelling the amount of legs, miles etc. of "regular" HONs. Therefore, the effect on lounge usage will be neglectable.
I politely disagree.

Case in point: Most of my European colleagues (who fly at least one European roundtrip per week, mostly two) used to book their flights in business class, and thus had made it to HON. For some time now, our new travel policy requires discounted economy for flights below 3h -- meaning they will all lose their HON status by the end of the year! I am sure many of them will do this HON run, and they will for sure crowd the lounges!

Many other companies have introduced similar economy class policies (especially consultants, bankers).

With the reduced mileage earnings for economy class travel, there are many high frequency "road warrior" travellers out there who will gratefully grab the opportunity to upgrade themselves. I am truly annoyed!

Last edited by CalFlyer; Mar 13, 2010 at 6:58 am
Old Mar 13, 2010, 7:17 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CalFlyer
Most of my European colleagues (who fly at least one European roundtrip per week, mostly two) used to book their flights in business class, and thus had made it to HON. For some time now, our new travel policy requires discounted economy for flights below 3h -- meaning they will all lose their HON status by the end of the year! I am sure many of them will do this HON run, and they will for sure crowd the lounges!
With due respect even if a number of ex-HONs-to-be decide to retain their status through this MR, they are not going to substantially increase the overall number of HONs who travel frequently and crowd the lounges. From the airline's point of view these "Cessna HONs™" will have the incentive to continue flying on LH rather than on LCCs albeit on deeply discounted fare.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 7:23 am

Programs: UA1K;AAEXP;BAG
There are quite a few people out there who have "generated" substantial amounts of award miles and have no LH status at all. Beeing able to use those award miles the most effective way for the next 31 months as HON and another 24 months as SEN is a big benefit for them. Add the 600k award miles, the other current perks of HON like e-vouchers as well as the "priceless" ability to brag with your new shiny black card in front of your friends and colleagues and that return on your 12k € investment might be considered as a "Top-Deal" by them...
Old Mar 13, 2010, 8:05 am

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
just my 2ct on this promotion

it cannot be compared to the referenced UK SEN status match (sorry NewbieRunner for mentioning this ) ... why?
1. you have to spend a large amount of money for this promotion
2. you have to be organized to stem such a HON-run. it will be much more expensive when you don't find enough companions to fill a private jet.
3. this promotion will be discussed here and in some other frequent traveller forums. the huge bunch of other frequent flyers won't hear about the promotion and the very FT-like creative solution to trick the system. and when they do it is probably too late :-)

i don't expect that a huge amount (more than 50 people) will make / retain HON through that promotion. maybe more people will re/qualify for SEN.

moreover i agree, it is a very sick idea to run from zero to HON with that private jet promo - but hey, that's the spirit of FT. i am highly tempted to spend around 9500€ for that promo.

why? because there is much more than a shiny black card in the wallet.
1. HON circle status for almost 3 years and afterwards 2 years SEN status meaning 4 years of not worrying about SEN requalification
2. 6 additional eVouchers
3. the promotion (5 round trips) generates 525.000 award miles worth 5 longhaul business class round trip tickets with HON availability guarantee or approx. 4 companion award longhaul business class award tickets. when you value one longhaul C ticket (excluding taxes) with approx. 2000€ then you gain a value of around 8000€
4. highest op-up-priority (how many regular HONs do travel longhaul economy)

it seems everyone is worried about the crowding of the lounges - i don't care much about lounges - the last two times i have been to a LH F lounge i just had a glass of still water and did not stay more than 30 minutes. (my definition of luxury: you can have/take everything, but you don't have to ...)

Last edited by f0zzyNUE; Mar 13, 2010 at 8:11 am
Old Mar 13, 2010, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE
just my 2ct on this promotion

it cannot be compared to the referenced UK SEN status match (sorry NewbieRunner for mentioning this ) ... why?
1. you have to spend a large amount of money for this promotion
2. you have to be organized to stem such a HON-run. it will be much more expensive when you don't find enough companions to fill a private jet.
3. this promotion will be discussed here and in some other frequent traveller forums. the huge bunch of other frequent flyers won't hear about the promotion and the very FT-like creative solution to trick the system. and when they do it is probably too late :-)

i don't expect that a huge amount (more than 50 people) will make / retain HON through that promotion. maybe more people will re/qualify for SEN.

moreover i agree, it is a very sick idea to run from zero to HON with that private jet promo - but hey, that's the spirit of FT. i am highly tempted to spend around 9500€ for that promo.

why? because there is much more than a shiny black card in the wallet.
1. HON circle status for almost 3 years and afterwards 2 years SEN status meaning 4 years of not worrying about SEN requalification
2. 6 additional eVouchers
3. the promotion (5 round trips) generates 525.000 award miles worth 5 longhaul business class round trip tickets with HON availability guarantee or approx. 4 companion award longhaul business class award tickets. when you value one longhaul C ticket (excluding taxes) with approx. 2000€ then you gain a value of around 8000€
4. highest op-up-priority (how many regular HONs do travel longhaul economy)

it seems everyone is worried about the crowding of the lounges - i don't care much about lounges - the last two times i have been to a LH F lounge i just had a glass of still water and did not stay more than 30 minutes. (my definition of luxury: you can have/take everything, but you don't have to ...)
And that's exactly why LH should cancel this promotion immediately!
(I'll join one run just for the heck of it and because I've never tried the Private Jet program...and probably because I seem to have more money than sense!! )
Old Mar 13, 2010, 10:25 am

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
Originally Posted by Rambuster
And that's exactly why LH should cancel this promotion immediately!
yep, agreed - would save me a lot of money
Old Mar 13, 2010, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE
yep, agreed - would save me a lot of money
And it will save you the cold turkey once you drop out of the HON program because you couldn't requalify. Alternative it will save you even more money if you decide to re-qualify the hard way !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.