FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Los Angeles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles-507/)
-   -   The consolidated "What to do on a layover at LAX" thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles/554820-consolidated-what-do-layover-lax-thread.html)

Happs Feb 23, 2003 10:45 pm

The consolidated "What to do on a layover at LAX" thread

Not sure exactly where this post belongs, but next week, I will be arriving at LAX from PHX at around 2pm and my codeshare AA/Qantas flight to AKL leaves at 8:30pm. How early can I check my bags in for the flight? What are some suggestions on what to do for the long
layover? Leaving the airport to go into town with luggage isn't a good idea. How about going to a hotel to hang out? Are there any reasonably priced restaurants with halfway decent food in the Tom Bradley International Terminal? Thank you for any suggestions.

thadocta Feb 23, 2003 11:00 pm

You should be able to through check your bags from PHX.

Apart from that, you might be better off popping into the Qantas board, there are a few regulars in there who OFTEN have long layovers in LAX.

Dave

thadocta Feb 23, 2003 11:16 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by thadocta:
Apart from that, you might be better off popping into the Qantas board, there are a few regulars in there who OFTEN have long layovers in LAX.</font>
Oops - already done.

Dave

Happs Feb 23, 2003 11:43 pm

Thanks for the suggestion of posting in the Qantas folder. I forgot to mention that I am flying Southwest Airlines --couldn't beat their $70 roundtrip fare from PHX-LAX so I don't think I can check my bags all the way to AKL from PHX.

AmericanFtWorthTX Feb 23, 2003 11:58 pm

Well at least you will have a good time getting onto and off the airport bus. Those buses are not large bag friendly and nobody helps you unless it's some other passanger. Plus then going from the lower arrivals level to the upper departures level, that just may take the whole time you have! LOL Or take a cab around the whole airport to get to the upper level.

pegasus8228 Feb 24, 2003 12:54 am

which terminal is southwest in?

i always use trolley between int'l and T3, they are right next to each other.
and there are elevators (you have to find them by following signs though) to help you get to different levels

AmericanFtWorthTX Feb 24, 2003 12:58 am

It's the first terminal you come up to when driving into the airport. But then again you could ask on the SW board or LAX board of FT Airports.

[This message has been edited by AmericanFtWorthTX (edited 02-24-2003).]

Paulo Feb 24, 2003 8:37 am

A semi-related question: Are the underground walkways connecting the terminals closed nowadays? It seems to me that I had heard that they were closed sometime post 11 Sept 2001, but I'm not sure if that was still the case.

I used to use that on an LAX layover to get to the CO Prez Club, but if they're closed, I guess I'm stuck in the AA terminal.

ss278 Feb 24, 2003 9:01 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Paulo:
A semi-related question: Are the underground walkways connecting the terminals closed nowadays?</font>

Yes.

askworldtraveler Feb 24, 2003 11:14 am

welcome to the AA board - hope you find the information useful and contribute often as well. As for your question - YGM :-)

------------------
"Dance as if no one's watching, Sing as if no one's listening and live live everyday as if it were your last"

JSD Feb 24, 2003 12:51 pm

Grab a taxi and go to In-n-Out Burger (its right at the end of the runway - you'll probably see it on your descent). Have taxi drive through the drive-through. Order a double-double with onions, fries and beverage of choice. Offer to buy your cabbie lunch as well. Take taxi back to LAX and sit outside and enjoy your lunch in the beautiful SoCal sunshine. This will run you about $20 for the taxi and about $5 for the burger ($10 if you buy the cabbie lunch too).

This is what I do on my layovers through LAX. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

RichardInSF Feb 24, 2003 2:27 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pegasus8228:
which terminal is southwest in?
</font>
Look for the terminal with the 2 mile line outside.

Taipei Feb 24, 2003 2:29 pm

Qantas is in the AA terminal now, #4, you can walk there, 15 min walk (rent a cart for you bags), walk on upper level roadway, you can get some good views of Airplanes, or you can take any lower level shulle bus B,C, ect since SW is terminal one, they will all to to terminal 4. I do the CX and Southwest conections before, and had no problem, in fact when my CX flight was late 3 hours and I missed the Southwest flight, CX rebooked and paid the higher fare for the flight, but Southwest will not do this for CX.

As for what to do,some cheap trips you can take Free bus G from lower level to the GREEN line rail line station from there you have a few choices:

(A) Take Santa Monica bus line 3 (runs every 10 min, 75 cents) to In and Out Burger, or futher north to Santa Monica (about 40min), it also passes Marina Delrey area. The #3, some also go as far as Montana Ave, kind nice street of cafes and shops.

or
(B) catch the GREEN LINE to BLUE LINE north into Downtown LA, stop at Grand Central Market for food, visit Little Tokyo ect.

AAgoraku Feb 24, 2003 2:45 pm

If you want, you might start with storing your bags (info below).

Then, I suggest you have a drink (or two) at the Encounter Restuarant. It's in the "old control tower" in the middle of the LAX parking garages. Walt Disney Engineering "redesigned" a few years ago and it has a Jetson's space age decour. http://www.iflylax.com/lax_encounter.html

If it is appealing, LAX often has art displays/exhibits that are pretty good and throughout the airport.

Walking back and forth btwn terminals ought to use up much of your layover http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

==========================
Baggage Storage

Large items, such as golf bags, surfboards, and bicyles can be stored at LAX. Packaging materials such as boxes, tape and rope and wrapping services are also available. This service is located on the Lower/Arrival Level of Tom Bradley International Terminal.

Storage hours are from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily and wrapping services are available from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. daily (Pacific). There is no limit on the number of days for which items can be stored at this baggage service.

LAX International Baggage Service
380 World Way
Los Angeles
CA 90045
(310) 646-0222
(310) 646-0223

burgerwars Feb 24, 2003 6:26 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Taipei:
Qantas is in the AA terminal now, #4, you can walk there, 15 min walk (rent a cart for you bags), walk on upper level roadway, you can get some good views of Airplanes, or you can take any lower level shulle bus B,C, ect since SW is terminal one, they will all to to terminal 4. I do the CX and Southwest conections before, and had no problem, in fact when my CX flight was late 3 hours and I missed the Southwest flight, CX rebooked and paid the higher fare for the flight, but Southwest will not do this for CX.

As for what to do,some cheap trips you can take Free bus G from lower level to the GREEN line rail line station from there you have a few choices:

or
(B) catch the GREEN LINE to BLUE LINE north into Downtown LA, stop at Grand Central Market for food, visit Little Tokyo ect.
</font>
It might be a bit too long but you could take to Blue Line to the Red Line. Can get out at Olvera Street (Union Station), or take the Red Line the opposite way to Hollywood or Universal City / Universal CityWalk (the second to the last stop). After all of this, you might just have time to get out of the subway, get a breath of fresh air, and go back down to return to the airport. In July, you'll be able to connect to the Gold Line to get to Pasadena. But realistically, you can't do much in 6 hours, and I suggest staying closer to the airport.