Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

What neighborhood to live in to work in El Segundo?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2005, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard

I'm going to be working in El Segundo and I need a place to live, or more specifically a short list of neighborhoods you would recommend. Ideas?
Old Jun 16, 2005, 4:25 pm

Manhattan Beach is right next door and nice. Hermosa Beach and Redondo Beach are the next towns after that. You'll want to avoid the 405 as much as possible during rush hour so I wouldn't go much further than that.
Old Jun 16, 2005, 4:37 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by mbstone
I'm going to be working in El Segundo and I need a place to live, or more specifically a short list of neighborhoods you would recommend. Ideas?
i work in el segundo as well, and i live in marina del rey, its all against traffic and takes 15 mins. PM when you move to town if you need insurance!
Old Jun 16, 2005, 4:56 pm

I used to live in that area as well. The beach cities (Redondo, Hermosa and Manhattan) can all get pricey. Two alternatives that are very close and still very good neighborhoods are Playa del Rey and Westchester. If you are looking for a house, Westchester is the better option whereas Playa is great for apartments.

However, I now live in Pasadena and one of my neighbors works in El Segundo and he can make it down there in 25 mins. Of course, he works for DOD and can go in whenever he wants so he misses all of the traffic that most of us have to endur. That drive in rush hour could take you 2 hrs.
Old Jun 16, 2005, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
I worked in the El Segundo area. - Lived both in Marina Del Rey and Culver City. Very reasonable communtes (non -freeway) by L.A. standards.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 12:25 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Of course THE PLACE for any FTer would be the ParkWest apartments - some of them are pretty much adjacent to runway 24R at LAX...

http://www.equityapartments.com/mark...iew&PropID=725
Old Jun 17, 2005, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by mbstone
No one has addressed a very important issue in L.A. What's your budget range? Don't want to get too personal, but you could rent a 2 bedroom apartment in areas surrounding El Segundo for anywhere from $1000 (you don't want to live there) to $5000 or more per month.

The beach citites are nice but the closer you actually get to the water the pricier they get. Culver City is relatively moderate (depending on where exactly in CC). Maybe more specifics about what is important to you and what your idea of affordable is would help us to help you.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 11:12 am

If it were me, I wouldn't advertise my budget, depending on what they are looking for a house or apartment check out:

House
www.realtor.com

Apartment
losangeles.craigslist.org
Old Jun 17, 2005, 4:00 pm

Perhaps I shoudl rephrase the suggestion. What are you looking for in a place? Its just that prices and areas are all over the map (pardon the pun) within a few miles of that area of town. We don't know what you are used to or looking for is all.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
If you have a family (or not), Long Beach is a great place to live. It's not hard to avoid the traffic if you have flexible hours. You can live relatively cheaply right near the ocean.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Torrance isn't a bad commute to El Segundo either and a very nice residential community. If monies will help you pay extras, you can also consider the Rancho Palos Verdes area.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
If you have a family (or not), Long Beach is a great place to live. It's not hard to avoid the traffic if you have flexible hours. You can live relatively cheaply right near the ocean.
I wouldn't highly recommend Long Beach for someone working in El Segundo. The 405 traffic is horrendous even during non-rush hours.
Old Jun 18, 2005, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by rejunivated
I wouldn't highly recommend Long Beach for someone working in El Segundo. The 405 traffic is horrendous even during non-rush hours.
Really? I lived in Long Beach for many years. I learned that I had an easy trip to LAX if I left after 9:30 or so. Back in the good old pre-9/11 days, I could leave home 60 minutes before the flight, drop my car off at Avis, take the bus to the terminal and still make it in plenty of time. Going home in the late afternoon can be tough, but if you leave by 2 or 2:30 it's not bad.

There is also the great option of taking the 110 south to the Vincent Thomas bridge. No traffic there.
Old Jun 19, 2005, 8:39 am
In Memoriam, Original Member

[QUOTE=RBCal
Apartment
losangeles.craigslist.org[/QUOTE]

While craigslist is OK for this area, most people use

http://www.westsiderentals.com/
Old Jun 21, 2005, 3:02 pm
NNH

Location: LA, after growing up in London and living all over Europe
Programs: Ex-BD, ex-NW, ex-AA, BA Gold
We used the local newspaper's website to find our apartment in Redondo Beach www.dailybreeze.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.