Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California > Los Angeles
Sign in using an external account

Old Apr 18, 05, 6:58 pm   #1
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Help Anaheim to Burbank Please

I'm doing the 30 major league ballparks, arrive at SNA 5/28 pm for a 5/29 day game at Anaheim. next game is at Dodger stadium on the 30th at 5:10 pm. I'd like to get the the ballpark at 3:15-3:30pm. I fly out of Burbank on the 31st going to Oakland. My questions:

cab fare anaheim to Dodger stadium???
is there shuttle service available? and who to call?
any other means of transport as I really don't want to rent a car and drive in your traffic (yes, I'm a country boy)
travel time??
cab fare or shuttle or whatever cost????

Thanks for your help. Please private email me INGY
ingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 05, 7:12 pm   #2
Moderator: Hawaii-Based Airlines & United MileagePlus

Programs: Global Entry, United, Delta, Hyatt, Kimpton, Marriott, mLife, Best Western, and Hertz
It depends on where you are staying in both Anaheim and before you depart from BUR, but you may find a combination of heavy and light rail as a possible option.

There is a train stop in the parking lot of Anaheim Stadium used by both Amtrak and Metrolink. You can take the train north to LA Union Station. Last season, the Dodgers had a shuttle called the Roundtripper that ran from Union Station to Dodger Stadium and back. I don't know if it is still around, but I would suspect the Monday of Memorial Day Weekend would be a good day for it to be.

From Union Station, there are transfers to the Red Line subway that runs through Hollywood and Universal City to North Hollywood or the Gold Line rail that ends in Pasadena.

There is a Metrolink rail stop across the street from the BUR airport.

You can find out more about the heavy rail at http://www.metrolinktrains.com/

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 18, 05 at 7:14 pm.
FlyinHawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 05, 9:52 pm   #3
Original Member

Location: The endless suburbia that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA PremEx MM; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Gold & a few other useless titles
One of the local sports columnists (TJ Simers of the Times) was on one of his rants about the Dodgers owner a week ago, and mentioned the Union Station shuttle had been terminated. There are cabs available at Union Station to take you to the game however (I'd guess about $13). Getting back to Union Station might be a trick. I've never noticed a cab stand at the Stadium.

Cabbing from Anaheim Stadium to Dodger Stadium would be the national debt. Assuming no real traffic it would be north of $80. A car service might be around the same price.

If you can plan your trip for off-peak hours, driving is not a bad choice. From Anaheim to Downtown you are essentially taking the same Freeway the whole way (I-5/US101). After the Dodger game, if you can find your way to I-5 (there are signs from the Stadium, but its not intuitive), BUR is an quick drive.
Craig6z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 05, 11:26 pm   #4
Moderator: Hawaii-Based Airlines & United MileagePlus

Programs: Global Entry, United, Delta, Hyatt, Kimpton, Marriott, mLife, Best Western, and Hertz
I see cabs in the back of the right field pavillion (outfield bleachers) after games at Dodger Stadium.
FlyinHawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 05, 4:06 pm   #5

Programs: UA Premier, SPG Gold, HP/US/whatever nothing :-)
Its also Memorial Day weekend, so traffic will probably not be AS bad as normal.

In all honesty, it might take you way WAY more time to take the train/cab route than it would be to just rent a small car and drive. Like others have said it's I-5 north from Anaheim straight to Dodger Stadium (about 40 miles), then I5 north to Burbank, which is only about 5 miles.
olympicnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 05, 4:45 pm   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig6z
Cabbing from Anaheim Stadium to Dodger Stadium would be the national debt. Assuming no real traffic it would be north of $80. A car service might be around the same price.

That's a good exaggeration. However truly, cab fare from Anaheim to Burbank would be very pricy. I'm pretty sure that it costs over USD100 without any traffic in the very early morning. If you get caught in traffic jam, why not charter a private plane from SNA to BUR?

As a resident near Anaheim, I think the best option for you is take Metrolink from Anaheim to Los Angeles and get on another Metrolink from Los Angeles to Burbank. This is the cheapest and probably the fastest option. The fare wouldn't be higher than USD10.

However, Metrolink doesn't operate trains from Anaheim to Los Angeles on weekends. If you're travelling on weekend, ride the airport shuttle bus from any hotel in Anaheim to Los Angeles and catch FlyAway from Los Angeles to Van Nuys. Basically, the bus between LAX and Van Nuys is for passengers who park their car at Van Nuys and fly out at LAX. IIRC, the airport bus from Anaheim to LAX will cost roughly USD15, and the shuttle bus between LAX and Van Nuys will be about USD5.

I think my reply is the most useful one so far, just kidding.

Check out www.metrolink.com and www.lawa.org/lax for detailed information. If you have question regarding public transportaion near Anaheim, feel free to ask me.

Last edited by N227UA; Apr 19, 05 at 4:49 pm.
N227UA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 05, 4:57 pm   #7

Programs: United 1P, Delta GM, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Silver
Sorry to psuedo-hijack this thread, but can anyone offer any advice on how to make it from Dodger Stadium to LAX...I'm attending the 5/4 dodgers game which starts at 7pm and I'm on a flight out of LAX at 11:25. (I'm going on a mini-MR, LAX-PIT-ART-PIT-ORD-SFO) Can anyone suggest how long it'll take to get to the airport from the park in a taxi or some other form of public transport. I'll check-in for my flight online so that I can save time. If it matters, I'm traveling with only my backpack. Thanks
90minfromJFK-CDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 05, 6:52 pm   #8

Programs: The usual for over 7 Million paid miles flown to date... My first paid flight was on a DC3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90minfromJFK-CDG
Sorry to psuedo-hijack this thread, but can anyone offer any advice on how to make it from Dodger Stadium to LAX...I'm attending the 5/4 dodgers game which starts at 7pm and I'm on a flight out of LAX at 11:25. (I'm going on a mini-MR, LAX-PIT-ART-PIT-ORD-SFO) Can anyone suggest how long it'll take to get to the airport from the park in a taxi or some other form of public transport. I'll check-in for my flight online so that I can save time. If it matters, I'm traveling with only my backpack. Thanks

Try calling SuperShuttle & ask for a quote... http://www.supershuttle.com/Default.htm
prspad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 05, 9:05 pm   #9

You want the OP to take a hotel bus to LAX from Anaheim, then the FlyAway to Van Nuys? Then a cab to Dodger Stadium????? Thats just mean

If you consider this option, seriously, just rent a car. It'll take at most an hour to get there, not 3 and it'll be cheaper, especially after that cab ride from Van Nuys to Chavez Ravine.
Old Apr 19, 05, 10:46 pm   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by olympicnut
You want the OP to take a hotel bus to LAX from Anaheim, then the FlyAway to Van Nuys? Then a cab to Dodger Stadium????? Thats just mean

If you consider this option, seriously, just rent a car. It'll take at most an hour to get there, not 3 and it'll be cheaper, especially after that cab ride from Van Nuys to Chavez Ravine.

How far is it from Van Nuys to Dodger's Stadium? Honestly, I have no idea. Since I live in Southeast Los Angeles area, I didn't have chance to visit Northwest Los Angeles area. I thought Van Nuys to Burbank is close, isn't it?
N227UA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 05, 11:04 pm   #11

Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada and Sacramento, CA, US; UA Explorer Elite
Amtrak has direct service

You can take the Amtrak Surfliner 7 days a week from Anaheim Stadium direct to Burbank Airport (train station is 200 feet from the air terminal). City codes are ANA and BUR, respectively. Trains operate via Union Station (code is LAX). See Amtrak.com for details. Dodger Stadium is relatively close to Union Station.
Reindeerflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 05, 11:14 pm   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by N227UA
How far is it from Van Nuys to Dodger's Stadium?
It's about 20 miles from the VNY FlyAway station to Dodger Stadium. Of course the 101/134/5 route from there to the stadium is always a crapshoot too and could take anywhere from 25 minutes to an hour or so. And in a cab, that could be pricey.

Taking the FlyAway is an awesome way to get to the center of the SF Valley mind you from LAX, but then you have to take alternate transport from there and Dodger Stadium isn't really condusive to that .
Old Apr 20, 05, 11:59 am   #13

Programs: "I COME FROM Des Moines. Somebody had to." -- Bill Bryson
ingy, where do you really want to go? Given the dates/times are you are going from a hotel in Anaheim to Dodger game and then a hotel at BUR?

Amtrak from ANA to LAX (union station), cab from Union Station to Dodgers Stadium, cab from stadium to hotel near BUR. Don't go back to Anaheim from the Dodger game.
UAVirgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 05, 11:43 am   #14

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Gold, UA, DL, NW, Starwood and Marriott peon
I know you say you don't want to drive, and there are combinations of cab/shuttle/metrorail/Amtrak that can get you where you want to go. But given that you will be traveling during non-peak times and your journey pretty much involves just staying on the 5 freeway, you might find that renting a car is actually the best way of going.

If you want to get to Dodger stadium at 3:15 or so you would only need to leave Anamheim at 2:30. Head straight up the 5 to the Stadium Way off ramp and follow the signs to Dodger Stadium. After the game traffic will be congested going back down the hill, but most of it will be going south on the 5 or north on the 101 so you won't have to worry about that too much as you will be going NORTH on the 5 to Burbank. It will be about 10:30 or so and there will be minimal traffic after you leave the immediate vicinity of Dodger Stadium.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE just stay the night of the 30th in Burbank rather than going all the way back to Anaheim. Burbank is about 10 miles north of Dodger Stadium. Anaheim is 29 miles south. No matter how you get to Dodger Stadium you don't want to go from Anaheim to Dodger Stadium back to Anaheim then back past Dodger Stadium to BUR.

There are several hotels in the vicinity of BUR and San Fernando Rd makes a convenient area to eat out before catching your plane. (And no, I am not a member of the Burbank chamber of commerce )
kef0913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 05, 3:08 pm   #15

Programs: American Airlines
Taking a taxi is the best form of public transportation - it will cost over $50 and will take about 45 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90minfromJFK-CDG
pedersontb is offline   Reply With Quote