Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

The "Greater LA Area Restaurant Recommendations/Questions" thread 2001-13 [Archived]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2017, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Newer posts on this topic are located in the current thread:
Print Wikipost

The "Greater LA Area Restaurant Recommendations/Questions" thread 2001-13 [Archived]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2001, 10:51 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown

Just shipping now. I've rarely found a bad restaurant in the magazine. This month is the annual restaurant issue of top restaurants in the city.
Old Jul 12, 2001, 6:48 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond

Two questions,

#1. Can I pick up an issue of this magazine at a newstand in LA or does it have to be "shipped"?

#2. Are the restaurants ranked in this magazine?

Thanks.
Old Jul 13, 2001, 11:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott LT Titanium
You should be able to pick up Los Angeles magazine at any newstand that has a varied selection of titles. Some of the supermarkets I shop at have it.

I agree with jeffreyt- I have always had a good experience with the restaurants they choose.

Kevin
Old Jul 13, 2001, 5:07 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kev LAX:
You should be able to pick up Los Angeles magazine at any newstand that has a varied selection of titles. Some of the supermarkets I shop at have it.

I agree with jeffreyt- I have always had a good experience with the restaurants they choose.

Kevin
</font>
Thanks,

are the restaurants ranked in this magazine?

[This message has been edited by Sweet Willie (edited 07-13-2001).]
Old Jul 15, 2001, 9:39 am

Location: Boston, MA, USA--The home of the World Champion New England Patriots
Is this magazine online?
Old Jul 15, 2001, 10:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott LT Titanium
Sweet Willie-

The restaurants are not ranked- they go by the top ten (not ranked, simply listed) such as: top restaurants, top places to go for two entrees for $20, etc...

They had a very interesting article highlighting the waitresses in L.A.- pretty interesting reading.

Hope that helps, Kevin
Old Jul 16, 2001, 10:52 pm

Programs: None, but flying a lot more Delta these days
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
Is this magazine online?</font>
http://www.lamag.com/
Old Jul 16, 2001, 10:56 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
The issue that is online currently is July. The restaurant edition is the August magazine.
Old Jul 18, 2001, 1:37 pm

Thanks to all.
Old Jan 8, 2002, 5:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
Highlights from the "Best of L.A." issue (7/01):

Stan's Donuts
725 S Figueroa St # 126
Los Angeles, CA 90017
213/629-2399

"The family goes back generations and generations, and Stan has the old recipes from his family." --Jennifer Naylor (Granita)

Campanile
624 S. La Brea Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90036
323/938-1447

"I just like their style and food. I like that it's light and simple- it's the way I like to cook and eat, without a lot of sauces and with straightforward, natural flavors. And I like Nancy (Silverton)'s desserts." --Josie Lebalch (Josie)

"It's very well run and a good place to go if you don't want any of the frustration that you get at most restaurants in L.A. They don't miss anything. It's great for sitting at the bar and getting some appetizers and a bottle of wine or for a full-blown special-occasion meal." --Brooke Williamson (Zax)

The Talpa
11751 W. Pico Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90064
310/478-3353

"It's a little family-run Mexican coffee shop on Pico near Bundy. Jimmy Buffett took me there the first time." --Ben Ford (Chadwick)

Old Jan 15, 2002, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Marriott Plat
Just bring some attitude if its dinner time on a weekend. If your not a regular, and have reservations, you could still end up waiting an hour+ as "regulars" without reservations walk in and are seated. Don't even get me started about Valentines Day occurances! Grrrrrr!

At least breakfast works wonders. They open at 9:30AM on Sunday's. Yum!

Campanile
624 S. La Brea Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90036
323/938-1447
Old Nov 27, 2002, 7:51 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
Rating/Recommendation of the Westin LAX Restaurant

I will be staying at the Westin LAX for 2 days and want to get some feedback about the restaurants at the hotel.

Are they decent?
Old Nov 27, 2002, 8:25 pm
Original Member

The best restaurant on the Century hotel strip is Andiamo at the LAX Hilton.
Old Dec 23, 2002, 10:04 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
Thanks for the info

RC
Old Jan 13, 2003, 9:05 pm

French Restaurant - Wine Bistro in Studio City near Universal Studios

For all of you FT'ers that are traveling to Los Angeles, there are a few restaurants that you should try. For me, there is one in particular in the San Fernando Valley that stands out. It is called the Wine Bistro in Studio City. The restaurant is a small hideaway that is around the corner from CBS MTM studios (MTM - Mary Tyler Moore). Anyhow, you will occasionally see some deals struck in this cozy restaurant. For dinner, they have a pre fixe menu that is $30.00 per person (last time I was there). They knock off $10.00 per person if you have an entertainment card too www.entertainment.com. You have to make reservations in advance and if you are going for a romantic meal, call well in advance and ask for the front booth. The front booth is secluded from the remainder of the restaurant and you have amazing privacy. You won't regret asking for it.

Their food is always excellent and the staff is some of the friendliest I have ever seen. The maiter'd I believe is also the owner and he prides himself on seeing his repeat customers by always treating them exceptionally. I usually get a steak or pork chop, but my wife loves his fish dishes and his lobster ravioli (which I agree is awesome). I'd give you more detail about his dishes, but they have no printed menus. All of the menus are handwritten every day and are on easels that are brought to your table. Start with thefrench onion soup or the cesar salad. Can't go wrong with either. For dessert, I love the apple tartin and the 3 flavor creme brulee made with liquor (grand marnier, bailey's, etc.). They change daily but are always great. The restaurant only seats about 60-75 people, so reservations on a weekend are a must. This is a hidden gem in the valley for the romantic. Hope you enjoy.

I will be posting more of my favorite restaurants like Mastro's steakhouse in beverly hills, allesio's in a small shopping center in West Hills. You should also look at my post on Delmonico's steakhouse in Las Vegas as this is my favority restaurant around. Feel free to email me if you have any questions on any of my restaurant reviews.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.