Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California > Los Angeles
Sign in using an external account

Old Dec 13, 01, 9:08 am   #1
nlp

From SNA to LAX

Is there any public transportation from SNA to LAX? Thanks.
nlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 01, 7:41 pm   #2
askworldtraveler

My guess - Super Shuttle

I believe one of the airlines has a shuttle between the two.... $$$.

------------------
Askworldtraveler, EXP,4 million AA miles+++Hilton Gold (thanks to EXP)
Old Jan 11, 02, 2:21 am   #3

Walk! LOL

Just kidding. Yeah, Super Shuttle, Prime Time, and if you want to go all out, a taxi . You'd have to sell your first born to pay for the taxi.

I love LA, but our public transportation sucks!!! Also, major traffic jams on the freeways unless you go at 2am , so do take that into account. Sad, but have to.

------------------
MD
AA PLT,1 MLN Miles+
Hilton Gold
Sheraton Gold
Old Apr 19, 02, 3:46 am   #4

If I arrive at LAX at 5am in the morning, can I make it to SNA for a 8:45am flight using Prime or Super Shuttle? Or will I have to shell out the bucks to get a approx. $65 one-way rental car for the short trip?
anthonyanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 02, 12:59 pm   #5
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
My one way (but overnight) weeknight rental a few months back at Hertz was under $50.
Old Apr 19, 02, 2:03 pm   #6
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
You could fly it for $149. UA 6292 departs LAX 6:40 AM and arrives SNA 7:15 AM.

You could also take the green line Metro train (G bus from the terminal) to Norwalk and the southbound Orange County Metrolink train at 7:08 AM, arriving Santa Ana at 7:34 AM (taxi to SNA? never been there).

[This message has been edited by JS (edited 04-19-2002).]
JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 02, 9:31 pm   #7

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Eastbay1K:
My one way (but overnight) weeknight rental a few months back at Hertz was under $50.</font>
Best quotes I can get for my day of travel is $49.99 plus taxes/fees/surcharges/shuttle charge/concession fee/graft/rent/gas/electricity/etc, which probably comes pretty close to $60. I've seen rates go down as the day of travel gets closer, so hopefully that will happen. The cheaper car rental companies don't serve SNA, which might explain why it's more expensive to go there.

JS, the Orange Country metrolink sounds interesting, I didn't know about that option. But in this case I'll have to pass, since if I will only get to Santa Ana by 7:30 and still have to take a taxi to the airport, check-in, go through security, it is going to cut it too close for a 8:46a flight. Is it an easy connection to get from the Metro G line to the Metrolink train?

As for flying United from LAX to SNA -- would love to but the price rules it out for me I think the quotes I was getting were for $200+

So far I think I'm going to take Super Shuttle. They're quoting me $20...but I have to wonder if they're going to drive all around SoCal dropping everyone else off before they drop me off. PrimeTime Shuttle is asking $41 for the same trip...anyone know why PrimeTime shuttle charges double? Are they a more reliable, fast shuttle service?

Old Apr 19, 02, 9:55 pm   #8
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
There is a shuttle between the end of the Green Line and the Metrolink station, although I haven't taken it myself.

I agree that arriving in Santa Ana 1:15 before the flight leaves from the SNA airport is cutting it close. That's the first outbound train of the day. Trains to BUR run more frequently.

Just curious, why did you book an itinerary like this? Leaving SNA just a little later would work out nicely via the train.
JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 02, 8:18 am   #9

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JS:
Just curious, why did you book an itinerary like this? Leaving SNA just a little later would work out nicely via the train.</font>
Taking the earliest flight out of SNA allows me to maximize the number of connections in my flight. This trip is a mileage run, which is why I am being so mindful of the costs.

Unforuntately, the red-eye is the only flight HNL-LAX on CO, so I don't have the option of taking an earlier flight from HNL. (Except maybe partner NW's afternoon flight.)
Old May 20, 12, 9:59 pm   #10

Programs: AA EXEC PLAT 1MM, UA 1K, US Silver, Hyatt GP Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Are there any improvements for the ground transportation between SNA and LAX lately?
blueslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 12, 12:35 pm   #11

Programs: AA, DL, UA
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueslip View Post
Are there any improvements for the ground transportation between SNA and LAX lately?
No

LAX has good ground options via public transportation to Downtown and Westside, and decent option for the Valley, South Bay and Mid City. But not to Orange County. It's much easier to do LAX-BUR by transit if anyone wants to do mileage runs that way.

Orange County is as anti-public transportation as you can get in the US. SNA has minimal bus service that offer very poorly timed (and infrequent) connection to the regional commuter rail system (Metrolink).
bzcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 12, 11:15 am   #12

Would be interesting to hear back fro OP as to what happened.

Considering how expensive public transportation lines are to construct, and how many other areas, with more potential riders, exist, I doubt there'd be serious discussion of anything beyond a bus between the two airports.

Last edited by SoCal; May 26, 12 at 11:26 am.
SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 12, 3:30 pm   #13
Moderator: Information Desk, Thailand and Asia

Programs: AA Plat, ✯A Silver, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Not much of an improvement, particularly considering how few trips per day it makes, but the Irvine/LAX Flyaway is an option for some people, depending on arrival/departure times.
aBroadAbroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 12, 3:37 pm   #14
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyanthony View Post
If I arrive at LAX at 5am in the morning, can I make it to SNA for a 8:45am flight using Prime or Super Shuttle? Or will I have to shell out the bucks to get a approx. $65 one-way rental car for the short trip?
This is a very tight connection given the shuttle ride to rental pickup and rush hour LA traffic. Car rental not really a serious option.

Given checkpoint delays at SNA, I wouldn't even risk Super Shuttle. This is a cab / car service run for sure.
Often1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 12, 1:52 pm   #15

Programs: AA, HA, UA, DL, HH, SPG, Kimpton, Fairmont, New Otani, I Prefer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal View Post
Would be interesting to hear back fro OP as to what happened.

Considering how expensive public transportation lines are to construct, and how many other areas, with more potential riders, exist, I doubt there'd be serious discussion of anything beyond a bus between the two airports.
There used to be a bus that went between LAX and SNA, but that was when SNA was mostly just AirCal and PSA flights between OC and SJC/SFO. It also had a Disneyland stop.

You can still do that sort of using the DL Resort Express that runs between LAX and DL and DL and SNA, but it isn't what you'd use for a quick connection.
JeremyS1973 is offline   Reply With Quote