Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Connecting between terminals, tunnels, etc. at LAX" [merged threads]

Consolidated "Connecting between terminals, tunnels, etc. at LAX" [merged threads]

Old Dec 27, 2006, 8:01 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Thanks. I've never been at LAX pre-9/11. Where is the entrance to this tunnel located?

Thanks
The tunnel is between the hammerheads of T5 and T6. The connection point is great for DL pax (terminal operations in both termnals) and those pax on a Skyteam (DL and CO) connection.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 8:07 pm

Programs: UAL
It's also good for those non-status pax who want to avoid the T7 security line if there also happens to be a long line at T6 near the CO ticket counters.

I've often seen long lines for non-status pax at T7, sometimes at T6, and never that I can recall at T5.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 8:29 pm

I connected at LAX on Dec 10, and I noticed it was no longer blocked off in T6. I also connected in LAX on Oct 17, and I can't remember if it was open or not.

-David
Old Dec 27, 2006, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold, 1.8MM; Marriott lifetime Titanium
I believe that easy access to the T6 smoking area can be had this way also!
Old Dec 27, 2006, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
It sure took a long time to reopen.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 11:13 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
Now it is time for T-4 to T-5 to reopen.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 2:31 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Connection between AA and Alaska at LAX

We are arriving on an Alaska codeshare on American from SFO and then departing on Alaska two hours later. It looks to me like I have to exit AA and then probably walk from T4 to T3 to get the Alaska flight, where I will need to go through security again.

Any way to avoid this?

Also, Alaska won't let us do online check-in for this -- our so says our travel agent who called the Alaska sales office -- and I wonder if AA will issue both boarding passes at SFO or I have to wait until I get to LAX.

Not a very convenient codeshare, it seems.

P.S. Definitely looks like walking, presumably via the Bradley Terminal, would be faster than waiting for a transfer bus and going all the way around the airport.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 4:01 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Any way to avoid this?
Unfortunately, no; I don't think so.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 6:59 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I would pick walking landside (TBIT is uncrowded during the day though you are just walking by it, and it is a 5 minute walk). There is an airside transfer bus for American Eagle (which uses a remote terminal by the hangars), and there is another bus that runs from there to T3. But that would take much longer than walking and clearing security again, also often they check for an Eagle boarding pass before allowing you to use the bus. AA and AS are not able to issue BPs on each other. Other than FF tie-in, there really is no commonality in their codeshares on each other. The only good news is that security at T3 is generally fast, as T3 has a strange mix of airlines with few flights (however they all leave at the same time, so for an hour a day it is bad, hopefully not the hour that you are there).
Old Jan 9, 2007, 8:43 pm

We're there between 11am - 1pm, would that be the bad time?
Old Jan 9, 2007, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Just to avoid the TSA, I would pick the Eagle shuttle (follow the signs to Gate 44, down the escalators). All you have to do is show an AS BP or printed itinerary. The Eagle-T4 shuttle runs every 5-7 minutes, and Eagle-T3 shuttle every 10-15 minutes. When you get to the Eagle satellite, tell the person with the radio that you want the shuttle to T3.

Also, I would suggest seeing if AS SFO can print out your onward BP. Finally you can also call AA to get your AS PNR to do OLCI with AS... I've had good (but not 100%) success with this.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 11:04 pm

The first segment on AA is the code share, the rest of the segments are on AS and it is an AS ticket. I just tried the PNR on the AS site and it found it. As it is still more than 24 hours before the flight, it won't let me check in, but that is at least promising.

Thanks a lot, IceTrojan: another example of a FTer knowing the correct answer when the sales office gets it wrong!

Updated to add: Successfully checked in online for our LAX-Cabo trip tonight. So there!

Last edited by RichardInSF; Jan 11, 2007 at 8:43 pm
Old Jan 12, 2007, 10:05 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Can I go from T4 to T5 in LAX if my flight leaves from T4?

Can I get from Terminal 4 to Terminal 5 at LAX without going through security?

I apologize if this is the wrong place for this question.

Thank you!

Great -- Sorry for the wrong heading! I meant LAX!!! Mod, please correct.

[AA moderator hat on]

As this is realy an LAX airport specific question, it'll be moved to the appropriate forum.

Last edited by Plato90s; Jan 17, 2007 at 2:05 pm
Old Jan 12, 2007, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by fsa_ea
Great -- Sorry for the wrong heading! I meant LAX!!! Mod, please correct.
Did you click on the little red triangle?

Anyway, it's theoretically possible. It would help to know WHY you'd want to do this.

You'd have to take the shuttle to the American Eagle satellite (board at Gate 44). When you arrive, you'd have to take another shuttle back to T5. Voila, the airside T4>T5 transfer.

Personally, I'd sooner just walk landside to do that connection. It'll likely be much faster.

Of course, if you're already landing at the Eagle terminal, then the answer is obvious.

(And this really should be moved to the LA forum... and yes, I'm clicking on the triangle).
Old Jan 12, 2007, 11:53 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
I actually want to use the Crowm Room on T5 (or the Presidents Club on T6) during a 3 hour layover between AA flights on T4. I had thought of the transfer via the American Eagle bus. I have landed there once and then connected to CO on T6, but I can't recall if they examine your boarding pass to confirm your connection. Can you confirm that this will work if I am not connecting to a different terminal?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.