Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Connecting between terminals, tunnels, etc. at LAX" [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Connecting between terminals, tunnels, etc. at LAX" [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2006, 1:17 am

Programs: DL DM (1.1MM), MR TEL, HH DL, Avis P+ National Ex+, blah blah blah
Wink pilot grounded?

When I arrived Sunday afternoon (@2:30PM - 9 July 06). The escalators up/down from the center of T5 (right below where the DL CRC is) were blocaded and staffed by a TSA agent sitting in front of them. Is this the proverbial access to the tunnel(s). I can not recall an experience during my visits to T5 (at least in the last 4+ years) when that escalator was open. Does this go to both T4 & T6 (I think I recall reading that somewhere here on FT)?

In any case, it would seem the "pilot" may be "grounded" again.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 11:51 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by javajunkie
When I arrived Sunday afternoon (@2:30PM - 9 July 06). The escalators up/down from the center of T5 (right below where the DL CRC is) were blocaded and staffed by a TSA agent sitting in front of them. Is this the proverbial access to the tunnel(s). I can not recall an experience during my visits to T5 (at least in the last 4+ years) when that escalator was open. Does this go to both T4 & T6 (I think I recall reading that somewhere here on FT)?

In any case, it would seem the "pilot" may be "grounded" again.
Just take the elevator -- it is not in view of the escalator entrance.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 9:54 am

Programs: DL DM (1.1MM), MR TEL, HH DL, Avis P+ National Ex+, blah blah blah
Tunnel status update

Originally Posted by fastflyer
Just take the elevator -- it is not in view of the escalator entrance.
Well, I have to update the tunnel status again. The tunnel to T6 was open on Saturday morning, 15 July, 2006, when I flew out of LAX T5. The sign above the escalator had been covered for T4. I suppose that won't re-open any time soon.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by javajunkie
Well, I have to update the tunnel status again. The tunnel to T6 was open on Saturday morning, 15 July, 2006, when I flew out of LAX T5. The sign above the escalator had been covered for T4. I suppose that won't re-open any time soon.
From what I could tell, the T4/T5 tunnel was open on Thursday; I didn't check T5/T6, but maybe I will give the Presidents Club a buzz tomorrow and ask. It would be good if they reopened this tunnel.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 10:12 am

LAX Terminals

Can you get from Terminal 4 (AA) to Terminal 3 (Horizon) without having to go through security again?
Old Aug 21, 2006, 3:12 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Yes and no. There is a bus that runs from T4 to the AE commuter terminal, and from there to T3. You are supposed to use the bus only if departing from the AE terminal, sometimes they check for an AE boarding pass. In any case, it takes longer taking the bus than to walk and go back through security again (particularly as T3 rarely has long lines).
Old Aug 21, 2006, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good point. Have taken the bus, but it does take time. I like seeing the operations behind the scenes, but if you're in a hurry, it probably makes sense to walk airside.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 4:56 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
... but if you're in a hurry, it probably makes sense to walk airside.
It would make sense to walk airside, but unfortunately this is LAX and there is no airside connection from T4 to TBIT or T3. Thus the walk is landside (and probably the reason for the OP's question, who presumably wanted to stay airside).
Old Aug 21, 2006, 8:44 pm

I will only have 1 hour to get from one terminal to the other. Seems like there is some conflict in the posts. I haven't been to LAX in a few years but I seem to remember that I had to go landside to hop terminals. Yet in another post tunnels are mentioned going from one terminal to the other. Can someone confirm one way or the other if you must leave security and if 60 minutes is enough time to pull this off (I'm doubtful).
Old Aug 21, 2006, 9:14 pm
Original Member

30 minutes is enough to go landside T4 to T3. There are no tunnels connecting T4 to T3 and there is no way to walk between them airside. There are tunnels connecting T4-T5-T6-T7 airside, however those tunnels were closed several years ago (after repeated need to evacuate all of the terminals after a security intrusion at any of them). Recently some of the tunnels are open, sometimes, but they don't help you to get to T3 from T4. It is literally a 5 minute walk from T4 to T3, and another 5 minutes to get out of T4. That leaves you 50 minutes to get through security at T3 -- I've never seen it take over 5 minutes, unlike at some of the other terminals, such as T1 (Southwest) where it can take an hour. So you should be in good shape for the connection, just don't dawdle and go straight to T3.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by number_6
It would make sense to walk airside, but unfortunately this is LAX and there is no airside connection from T4 to TBIT or T3. Thus the walk is landside (and probably the reason for the OP's question, who presumably wanted to stay airside).
I didn't mean airside; the bus is airside. The walk is landside!
Old Aug 21, 2006, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
I really need to start working on that LAX FAQ

One hour is tight... you'd better hoof it landside, and hope that you're ontime and T3 isn't backed up. I have my doubts about taking the shuttle.... too much variable.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 10:32 pm

Cool

Originally Posted by max501
Can you get from Terminal 4 (AA) to Terminal 3 (Horizon) without having to go through security again?
Yes. From T4 go to gate 44, take the escalator down to the AE lobby. A shuttle will take you to T3. it is not required to have an AE B/P. You must have a boarding pass for Horizon/Alaska
Old Aug 22, 2006, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dragon727
Yes. From T4 go to gate 44, take the escalator down to the AE lobby. A shuttle will take you to T3. it is not required to have an AE B/P. You must have a boarding pass for Horizon/Alaska
Welcome to FT! I have gone from T4 to T3 a few times in the past few weeks. They first drive me to American Eagle, then I have to switch buses to go to Terminal 3. On two occasions, I haven't needed a boarding pass: I had a receipt that said I bought a ticket. I checked in when I got there. I found them pretty lax about checking whether you should be on the bus or not!
Old Aug 22, 2006, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by dragon727
Great info, thanks! Any idea how often that shuttle runs and what worse case would be for maximum time from T4 to T3?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.