Wiki Posts
Search

Marina del Rey

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: It's Complicated...
Marina del Rey

Will be going to the LA area over the 4th of July holiday weekend and staying 4 nights. Trying to decide what area to stay in. I always like to be near LAX as it makes leaving so much easier and give more options I think. I do not want to stay at an LAX airport this trip however. I was poking around and it looks like Marina del Rey is very well located for access to LAX but also seems to be a pretty decent destination of its own with things to do, restaurants etc.

So, would people recommend it as an area to stay with enough shopping and dining to occupy our time when not renting a car and exploring other parts of Southern California? Looking at the HGI, Marriott or Doubletree....any thoughts on those?

Thanks on the insight on this area as I know nothing about it.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
I'd go a little further west and stay near the beach in Santa Monica.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajGoes
I'd go a little further west and stay near the beach in Santa Monica.
It does look nice but also a bit pricier for my dates.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:40 pm

For a relatively short stay in LA, MDR is just fine, there's plenty do in the immediate area without a car, getting around to places in West LA, Santa Monica, etc. is easy from MDR. Several shopping centers with plenty of restaurant choices...keep in mind these are shopping centers for all the locals, so its not tourist oriented.

Most of the hotels in MDR are stand alone properties. You'll need to walk or drive to get around even in the MDR area. The exception is the Doubletree MDR hotel...its located in one of the shopping centers and is across the street from another shopping center. Hope this helps you making choice.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
You won't go hungry, but you might get bored w/o a car. Also note that it can be quite cool and overcast that time of year. (It could also be warm and sunny ... most likely late night/early morning low clouds, clear much of the day).
Old Jun 20, 2017, 6:31 pm

It's an easy walk along the beach from MDR to Santa Monica. I do it on a regular basis.

From the Santa Monica pier to the Venice pier is just under 3 miles. Onward to the water fence line is another mile or so.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by RandomNobody
It's an easy walk along the beach from MDR to Santa Monica. I do it on a regular basis.

From the Santa Monica pier to the Venice pier is just under 3 miles. Onward to the water fence line is another mile or so.
There's also frequent bus service between MDR and Santa Monica. And between MDR and LAX.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info and it does help paint a better picture of the area. I am currently walking about 10 miles a day so a little walking doesnt bother me....the wife might be another story though. I will be renting a car for a couple of days during the trip but just like to be in an area that "some things" to do while not out an about. I normally stay along Century Blvd and want someplace more interesting than that for this trip.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
As noted above by others MDR is fine for a few days. The Doubletree MdR is adjacent to a shopping area and a block from the bus to LAX and Santa Monica. The beach is a couple of blocks away. There are lots of restaurants in the area (from BBQ - Morfia's to sushi or anything else you desire) especially if you are prepared to walk a little. Easy access to running routes too.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:46 pm

Programs: Marriott and MLife Platinum, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Elite, Hyatt Explorist
I would definitely consider watching fireworks from Chace Park since you will be there over 4th of July weekend. You can rent cruiser bikes and ride along the beach paths.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
I live on the southern edge of Santa Monica. My parents have started staying in the Marina when they visit as it provides easy access to things (which for them are LAX, meals, and us) and it is a bit cheaper than Santa Monica. They have been staying with the Pacifica Hotels who have 4 properties in the Marina (switching between Hotel Marina Del Rey and The Kinney depending on rates).

Since you now have Uber/Lyft, bikeshare, plus public transit I think it is fine to base there for a few days. Easy enough to get to Venice or really anywhere on the west side if you want. Plus you will be close to the fireworks! You could also come up to Main St. Santa Monica for our 4th of July parade!
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by dbuckho
They have been staying with the Pacifica Hotels who have 4 properties in the Marina (switching between Hotel Marina Del Rey and The Kinney depending on rates)
I stayed at The Kinney about a month ago during a long weekend in LA and found the neighbourhood to be quite good for walking around, access to the beach and access to LAX.

The Kinney has obviously been refurbished but the bones are definitely of the Holiday Inn Express it used to be. In fact, the operating certificate of the elevator is still under Holiday Inn Express. The room itself was fine but there were some tiny tiny things that were noticeable (scuffed corners, etc.) and the toilet itself probably could've been replaced. Then again, I am very picky with my hotels. Lastly, one elevator isn't enough for this property, especially in the morning. The stairs also aren't setup in a way that you can walk up to your room from the lobby, so that made it very annoying during busy times.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the great info. One last question. Any difference in area between the Doubletree and the Hilton Garden Inn? They dont appear to be very far apart but it was mentioned earlier the Doubletree seems to be connected to shopping but they seem close enough it may not matter?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Abott Kinney is a short walk away, lots of food and beverage there. Bear in mind, allot of streets are blocked off due to 4th of July Fireworks and the area is very very busy! As an aside, take a look at El Segundo and Manhattan Beach as well..
Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Abott Kinney is a short walk away, lots of food and beverage there. Bear in mind, allot of streets are blocked off due to 4th of July Fireworks and the area is very very busy! As an aside, take a look at El Segundo and Manhattan Beach as well..
Yes, I have looked at El Segundo and Manhattan Beach and do like the Manhattan Beach area but most of the hotels dont seam to have as much within walking distance at MdR seems to have.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.