Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marina del Rey

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by mcgahat
Yes, I have looked at El Segundo and Manhattan Beach and do like the Manhattan Beach area but most of the hotels dont seam to have as much within walking distance at MdR seems to have.
Shade Hotel is Downtown MB and if you look at others in the City of MB the Downtown Association now has a free shuttle on demand via an APP.. The Belamar as well has tons of places walking distance. Waay better than the Marina in my opinion and way nice area, beaches, opportunity to eat, drink, shop.. Just an alternative. I personally wouldn't deal with the Marina around the 4th..
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: Delta-DM, United, Hilton-DM, SPG-PLTM
I use to live in MDR and on my visits back have stayed at the HGI. Nice hotel and better location IMO than the DoubleTree.

The HGI is much closer to the beach and you still have shopping and dining all around you, and a much more beach vibe.

The DT is in the shopping center, very congested, it will be a long walk to the beach vs. HGI.

The HGI has bikes you can rent as I stated it's about a 10 minute walk to the beach, shopping is right there for smaller boutique style shops, but enough to get anything you need. There is also the small MDR lagoon beach just across the street.

Since you like to walk a stroll from MDR to SM is great and takes you straight through Venice which is great people watching and cheap tourist shopping.

As others stated Abbott Kinney is a great area again within walking distance up Washington Blvd. Also Culver City is "up and coming"

I would recommend stopping in to Baja Cantina for some good eats and drinks - easily walkable.

You may also want to consider using uber depending on how much you think you will be driving - as parking and the rental may be more than what you would spend in total using Uber.

Enjoy your trip .
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by mcgahat
Thanks to everyone for the great info. One last question. Any difference in area between the Doubletree and the Hilton Garden Inn? They dont appear to be very far apart but it was mentioned earlier the Doubletree seems to be connected to shopping but they seem close enough it may not matter?
I've stayed at both several times. The DT isn't anything spectacular; it has a small pool; good breakfast; retro vibe. Both the HGI and DT offer bike rentals. The deciding factor for me is usually the rate. I do like the DT for it's access to the Ballona Creek Wetlands area and the beach area south of the wetlands. I usually go running and walking in that direction towards Playa del Rey. While the DT is next to a shopping center complex in my opinion it is easier to get away from all that than at the HGI due to the proximity to Ballona.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Shade Hotel is Downtown MB and if you look at others in the City of MB the Downtown Association now has a free shuttle on demand via an APP.. The Belamar as well has tons of places walking distance. Waay better than the Marina in my opinion and way nice area, beaches, opportunity to eat, drink, shop.. Just an alternative. I personally wouldn't deal with the Marina around the 4th..
I vote for Manhattan, Hermosa or Redondo Beach.
Both Manhattan & Redondo put on fireworks shows off the pier.
There's also a Shade hotel in Redondo or Crown Plaza or Portofino.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Was driving through MDR today and I still feel strongly that its not the best place to stay for the 4th. OP curious to know what your final decision is? In any event I know you will enjoy your time with your Wife and the weather is just great!! Safe Travels and let us know how and where it goes..
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by corky
I vote for Manhattan, Hermosa or Redondo Beach.
Both Manhattan & Redondo put on fireworks shows off the pier.
There's also a Shade hotel in Redondo or Crown Plaza or Portofino.
Actually Manhattan Beach does not have Fireworks for the 4th of July.. We do have them in December to celebrate the Holidays instead..
Old Jun 28, 2017, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Was driving through MDR today and I still feel strongly that its not the best place to stay for the 4th. OP curious to know what your final decision is? In any event I know you will enjoy your time with your Wife and the weather is just great!! Safe Travels and let us know how and where it goes..
I actually just booked the Crowne Plaza LAX. The rate dropped to like $129/night and with 4th night free my usual haunt will be "ok", I can get plenty of Uber rides with the savings. Also, I like that I can walk over to the rental facilities, get a car for the day and not have to pay for parking. We do like the Manhattan Beach area and can hit is relatively easily from the hotel. We will be checking out the MdR area for future options though for sure.

You and others did scare me off a bit with your advice to steer clear over the this coming weekend.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
MDR will be fine this weekend as long as you don't drive there. Plenty of public transit options. From Crowne Plaza, you take take the Big Blue Bus Line 3 or Rapid 3 from the LAX transit center 1 block away to MDR.

Or if you got a rental car for the day, drive and park at Playa Vista and then take the free beach shuttle to MDR.

And while at MDR, you can take the water bus from one side to the other with relative ease.

Big Blue Bus Line 3: https://www.bigbluebus.com/Routes-an...s/Route-3.aspx

Big Blue Bus Rapid 3: https://www.bigbluebus.com/Routes-an...s/Rapid-3.aspx

Playa Vista Beach Shuttle: http://www.visitmarinadelrey.com/wp-...huttle-map.pdf

MDR Water Bus: http://marinawaterbus.com/waterbus-stops.aspx

Last edited by bzcat; Jun 29, 2017 at 12:20 pm
Old Jun 29, 2017, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

bzcat, that is great info. Thanks.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

I just got back from my most recent trip to LA and I think I made the right choice of sticking with my usual place, Crowne Plaza LAX. I didnt get to tour the MdR area much but felt like the location of the Doubletree was just a bit too far out for my tastes but it would really depend on what you wanted to do. I felt the location of the Marriott and Hilton Garden Inn would be much more agreeable if I stayed in the area. For those of you that recommended Santa Monica, I agree that it would be best if I truly wanted to spend more time in the immediate area.

Thanks to all for the information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.