free street parking in Costa Mesa, Newport Beach

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2017, 12:10 pm
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM
free street parking in Costa Mesa, Newport Beach

Hi all --

I am trying to decide where to stay for 2 nights on a family vacation, near Irvine this coming weekend. I know it's irrational, but I cannot stand paying $25 for parking at a hotel when there is street parking nearby.

But in Costa Mesa, Newport Beach, this seems really hard to find. Is there such a thing as free street parking near hotels? I am specifically thinking between:

- Marriott Newport Beach
- Hyatt Newport Beach
- Avenue of Arts (SPG), Costa Mesa
- Westin Costa Mesa

If hotel prices were similar, availability of street parking might swing it for me. Any advice on where this is to be found? Having lived in Pasadena/Glendale I thought at least there would be some, but these new areas seem designed to thwart free parking...

Thanks!
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
So you're wanting to stay in an upscale area where a basic room will cost ~$200 per night, but you're unwilling to add $25 a night for parking?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:57 pm

$25 is not bad in a high end area of So Cal. Many places charge $40 plus with no other option but to walk for blocks. Pay up and move on to something more important.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
There's really no street parking in that area. It's all offices and hotels and the parking is all off-street. If you get lucky, you can try trolling some of the lots that only serve office buildings and aren't manned 24 hours. In those situations, sometimes they just open the barriers so people working late can leave. If they have a self-pay machine, you're probably out of luck. Also, not sure what the rules are on parking overnight. I imagine 1-2 nights wouldn't draw too much attention - I used to leave car at the office parking lot if I was going out of town for the weekend.

The whole thing is very YMMV and, as others have noted, $25/night in the heart of the OC is a decent rate.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 10:35 am
TA
Original Poster

Thanks, much appreciated!
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:44 am

Is the Westin the one by South Coast Plaza near the South Coast Repertory? If it is you could probably just park at the South Coast Plaza parking lot. We always park there and walk across the street to catch a show. When we leave after 11pm there are still a ton of cars in the giant parking lot near Bloomingdale's. I am sure there are employees working over night to restock items or people came to the bars/restaurants and met someone and left one car there overnight.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 1:30 am
TA
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Need
Is the Westin the one by South Coast Plaza near the South Coast Repertory? If it is you could probably just park at the South Coast Plaza parking lot. We always park there and walk across the street to catch a show. When we leave after 11pm there are still a ton of cars in the giant parking lot near Bloomingdale's. I am sure there are employees working over night to restock items or people came to the bars/restaurants and met someone and left one car there overnight.
Yes, thanks that a good idea too for the Westin. For the Avenue of the Arts design hotel (SPG brand), it turns out that after just a few minutes of looking, there are residential streets within 1-2 blocks that have overnight parking that are pretty convenient. Well worth just a little bit of walking, Stevens and Ross streets as seen here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.6937...8779081,17.01z
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:42 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by TA
Yes, thanks that a good idea too for the Westin. For the Avenue of the Arts design hotel (SPG brand), it turns out that after just a few minutes of looking, there are residential streets within 1-2 blocks that have overnight parking that are pretty convenient. Well worth just a little bit of walking, Stevens and Ross streets as seen here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.6937...8779081,17.01z
Provided you're not going to leave the car there between eight AM and noon on Thursday.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by ajGoes
Provided you're not going to leave the car there between eight AM and noon on Thursday.
Also you want to make sure the area does not require parking permit for residential street parking. I think Costa Mesa is one of the city that issues residential street parking permits to certain area.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Bumping this thread. I'm going to be staying at West South Coast Plaza. Can you just park in the mall lot for free and leave your car overnight?

I'll pay the parking rate if I have to, but even if it's my company's money, I just don't like to spend an extra $100 or so if I can avoid it with a 5 minute walk.
Old May 3, 2018, 8:04 am
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
Bumping this thread. I'm going to be staying at West South Coast Plaza. Can you just park in the mall lot for free and leave your car overnight?

I'll pay the parking rate if I have to, but even if it's my company's money, I just don't like to spend an extra $100 or so if I can avoid it with a 5 minute walk.
You could probably get away with it, with the proviso that it could be broken into. If you're moving it every day, I doubt the mall cops would notice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.