Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated Greater Los Angeles Area Restaurants Thread (2015 - Date)

Old Jan 30, 2017, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Older posts on this topic may contain relevant information and are located in the archived thread:
Print Wikipost

The Consolidated Greater Los Angeles Area Restaurants Thread (2015 - Date)

Old Nov 16, 2016, 10:58 am

My understanding is that Catch is a scene - it's not about the food.

Went to Pok Pok last night. Amazing!
Old Nov 17, 2016, 10:56 am
Suspended
Original Poster

You're almost guaranteed to run into a celeb at Catch right now.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:44 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
It's almost dineLA Restaurant Week time (Friday, January 13 - Friday, January 27th).

This year, some of the best restaurants in the Los Angeles area offering special menus priced at $95 - $100.
  • Alexander's Steakhouse
  • CUT By Wolfgang Puck
  • ink.
  • Melisse
  • Patina Restaurant
  • Providence
  • Spago Beverly Hills
  • The Arthur J
  • The Bazaar by Jos Andrs
  • The Royce | Wood-Fired Steakhouse
  • Wolfgang Puck at Hotel Bel-Air
Details are at this webpage: dineL.A. Exclusive Series Starts This Friday
Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
It's almost dineLA Restaurant Week time (Friday, January 13 - Friday, January 27th).

This year, some of the best restaurants in the Los Angeles area offering special menus priced at $95 - $100.
  • Alexander's Steakhouse
  • CUT By Wolfgang Puck
  • ink.
  • Melisse
  • Patina Restaurant
  • Providence
  • Spago Beverly Hills
  • The Arthur J
  • The Bazaar by Jos Andrs
  • The Royce | Wood-Fired Steakhouse
  • Wolfgang Puck at Hotel Bel-Air
Details are at this webpage: dineL.A. Exclusive Series Starts This Friday
Thanks for the reminder!
Old Jan 13, 2017, 4:06 pm

Just ate at Baroo. Hole-in-the-wall strip-mall place north of Koreatown. Fantastic. Great lunch option.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 4:38 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Michael Ad
Just ate at Baroo. Hole-in-the-wall strip-mall place north of Koreatown. Fantastic. Great lunch option.
Thanks for the reminder; somehow it fell off my radar.

Bon Apptit named it as one of America's best new restaurants for 2016 (No. 05) and Jonathan Gold gave it a rave review in the Los Angeles Times.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 5:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
"Now Boarding" Restaurant, W. Hollywood, CA

Has anyone eaten here or had drinks. Sounds like it would be a great place for FTers

A friend of mine in LA posted about it recently on his blog.

"Last night I had a much more pleasant flying experience, at a lounge called Now Boarding, in West Hollywood, designed with a glamorous 60s airline theme. Lots of gold fixtures and vintage luggage, and a steward pushing an old drink cart around the place, making martinis at tables.

The bartenders wear captains uniforms, harkening back to a time when our pilots flew drunk and we liked it. The drink menu resembles a safety card, which is a nice touch.

Adding to my personal, cool experience was that I happened to be there with the great-great granddaughter of Juan Trippe, founder of Pan Am. (Alec Baldwin portrayed him in The Aviator.) I was hoping the bathrooms would be super cramped and stainless steel, but this was not the case. Love the place nonetheless."

Here's the website for the place:

http://www.nowboardingla.com/

"A Mid-Century Cocktail Lounge inspired by the Golden Age of Air Travel, located on Santa Monica Blvd. in the heart of West Hollywood."

Look forward to any trip reports by FTers.

Cheers.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Has anyone eaten here or had drinks. Sounds like it would be a great place for FTers

A friend of mine in LA posted about it recently on his blog.

"Last night I had a much more pleasant flying experience, at a lounge called Now Boarding, in West Hollywood, designed with a glamorous 60s airline theme. Lots of gold fixtures and vintage luggage, and a steward pushing an old drink cart around the place, making martinis at tables.

The bartenders wear captains uniforms, harkening back to a time when our pilots flew drunk and we liked it. The drink menu resembles a safety card, which is a nice touch.

Adding to my personal, cool experience was that I happened to be there with the great-great granddaughter of Juan Trippe, founder of Pan Am. (Alec Baldwin portrayed him in The Aviator.) I was hoping the bathrooms would be super cramped and stainless steel, but this was not the case. Love the place nonetheless."

Here's the website for the place:

http://www.nowboardingla.com/

"A Mid-Century Cocktail Lounge inspired by the Golden Age of Air Travel, located on Santa Monica Blvd. in the heart of West Hollywood."

Look forward to any trip reports by FTers.

Cheers.
I visited tonight (perfect timing of a PM from Sharon while I was going to be passing by). Great cocktail list, but service was a little lacking. (Bartender didn't bring our drinks to our table, but motioned for us to come get them. He did however bring the check before we finished our cocktails and never asking how they were or if we wanted another.) Happy Hour list was left on our table, but we were told it was over, no hours listed on the HR drink menu.

I believe it's newly opened, so I'd go back again and give it another try.
Old May 10, 2017, 2:56 pm

Today's New York Times Food Section has an article discussing the current restaurant scene in Los Angeles.

From the description in the California Today newsletter:

So it is with a little bit of trepidation that we present an article taking a look at the tremendous energy and churn in the Los Angeles restaurant world these days. This region is well known for pioneering food trucks and strip-mall restaurants hold those emails, all you New Yorkers but every year, the scene here becomes increasingly nuanced and interesting.

Its not only what kind of food is being served, but where. You can now have a Sonoran dinner at Salazar, a year-round outdoor restaurant (try that, New York!) on a patio surrounded by a nightscape of power lines and palm trees in Frogtown. That neighborhood wouldnt have been on any culinary list a few years ago.

The restaurant scenes in Los Angeles and New York are as different as the two cities. Chefs here talk about the year-round fresh produce, ample space to store the bounty from a farmers market and the ethnic mash-up food that boils up in such a diverse community. And those top-quality fruit and vegetables make it easier to cook here. Its more challenging in New York, often resulting in more creativity and perseverance.
And from the article itself:
Los Angeles Restaurant Scene Is on the Move and Mixing It Up (this is a permalink, so there is no paywall)

Excerpts

Put aside the perennial (and tiresome) arguments about whether New York or Los Angeles has the better food scene. There are few cities displaying as much restaurant churn and change these days as this one. Los Angeles is once again showing the trait that has always been fundamental to its identity: relentless reinvention.

Chefs are hunting for places with cheap well, relatively cheap rents in up-and-coming neighborhoods, away from communities like Santa Monica, Venice, Beverly Hills and West Hollywood, which offer established, thriving and satisfying restaurants.

Its an inevitable cycle where restaurateurs try to go into places and find low rent, the crowds come, and the buildings get more expensive and you have to move on, said Brad Johnson, the owner of Post & Beam in Baldwin Hills, who came here from New York to run restaurants 26 years ago. Ive watched the cycle happen a lot. But its sped up by social media, and peoples attention spans are so fast.

I cant remember the last 10 places Ive gone to here because there are 10 more places I want to go, he added. L.A. is very much a whats-next town. People used to tell me, Youre in the restaurant business, thats really hard. Id say, Its not that hard. But I feel it now.

Specifically mentioned are: B.S. Taqueria, Gwen, Heres Looking at You, Kali, Kismet, Salazar, Shanghai No. 1 Seafood Village, Spago and Sqirl.
Old May 25, 2017, 2:18 pm

Restaurant Suggestions Near El Rey Theatre? [to be merged]

My daughter and I are driving up for a show tonight at the El Rey Theatre. Address is 5515 Wilshire Boulevard.

Looking for suggestions on places to eat. Not looking for fine dining nor are we looking for large chains. Could be american or ethnic...greasy spoon or fast casual, etc.

Thanks!
Old May 25, 2017, 3:43 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
If you have a car, might I suggest one of the oldest restaurants in Los Angeles, El Cholo:

http://elcholo.com/location/los-angeles

12-18 minute drive to the theatre, depending on traffic.
Old May 25, 2017, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by CalVol
My daughter and I are driving up for a show tonight at the El Rey Theatre. Address is 5515 Wilshire Boulevard.

Looking for suggestions on places to eat. Not looking for fine dining nor are we looking for large chains. Could be american or ethnic...greasy spoon or fast casual, etc.

Thanks!
There is nothing that I can think of within walking distance, well, there are IHOP and The Counter. Having Googled it, there are Japanese and Indian restaurants, and a gastropub virtually across the street, I haven't been to any.

Off the top of my head, within a couple of miles there are Little Ethiopia, the Original Farmers Market, Canter's Deli on Fairfax and the iconic El Coyote on Beverly. There are many other good places within that radius.

Last edited by TWA884; May 25, 2017 at 4:03 pm Reason: Add info
Old May 25, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TWA884
Canter's Deli on Fairfax
That reminded me of an excellent place a block from Canters: "Plan Check".
Old May 25, 2017, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Moderator2
That reminded me of an excellent place a block from Canters: "Plan Check".
Both are two miles from the theatre.
Old May 25, 2017, 6:13 pm

Thanks for the responses...we got started about an hour later than planned and now we are stuck in traffic.😳

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.